As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox How to get "human feel" claps on the MD UW (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: How to get "human feel" claps on the MD UW
GYS
Game & Watch
Do dumb shit with glow sticks.
www.soundcloud.com/gys
www.virb.com/gys
How to get "human feel" claps on the MD UW 13 Years, 11 Months ago
This is a technique I've been experimenting with to get some nice "human" loose feel claps, but will work on any sample that you want to have slightly imperfect timing. It requires a specially prepped sample and 2 or 3 tracks.

My goal was to create the sound of several people clapping in unison; overlapping claps that were offset a tiny bit by a random amount.

For this experiment, I wanted one clap to be spot on, another with a chance to be a tiny bit later than the first, and a third to have a chance to be a tiny bit early. By tiny bit, I'm talking about 30ms (0.03 seconds) max. Any more than that and you'll get a "white people clapping" situation, which is embarrassing...not funky.

To prep the samples:
1. Make a copy of a clap sample and open it in an audio editor. Add silence at the beginning of the clap. This is usually a standard feature of an audio editor. Add about 0.03 seconds (30ms) of silence to the beginning.
2. Save the sample and send it to your MD UW using C6.
3. Send a normal clap sample to the MD UW as well (one without the silence added).

To make the late claps:
1. After sequencing a normal clap on one track, load up your silenced clap sample on a new track and sequence the exact same pattern as the normal clap track. Playing the two tracks together will trigger two separate claps exactly 30ms apart. This is OK, but we can make it more dynamic...
2. Apply a LFO to the start time of the silenced clap. Adjust the depth to be shallow enough that the start will vary between the beginning of the sample (at the start of the silence) and the start of the actual clap. Make the rate be such that you are getting a random start each time. The effect of this LFO will make the claps either overlap very closely, or be looser...by a max of 30ms.

To make the early claps.
1. Load up the silenced clap on yet another track (you should have 3 clap tracks by now).
2. Sequence the same pattern, but a step early from the other 2 tracks. So instead of 5 and 13, make this one 4 and 12.
3. Add a LOT of swing to this track...the idea is to make it fire off close to the next step.
4. Finally apply LFO to the start position as described above.
5. An alternate method to this, if you don't want to waste the swing on just this track, is to prep another sample with a much longer silence, such that triggering it on a step will actually fire off the sound close to the next step.

Possibilities to add more claps without extra tracks:
1. Add a retrig to one or more the claps with a medium to high value. Keep the number of retrigs to 1 or 2.
2. Use a tight delay at max volume with a very low regen (basically just a slapback delay)

Ideas to add more dynamics to the claps:
1. Use LFO modulation on the filter frequencies, filt resonance, volume, distortion, etc. so the claps sound a bit different every time.
2. Use LFO modulation on the delay send and/or retrig to add a chance of extra claps as described above.

Enjoy!
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
Re:How to get "human feel" claps on the MD UW 13 Years, 11 Months ago
Great technique Gys! Let's hear it in action

A couple of thoughts/variations:

To save memory, use the delayed sample not only for the delayed hits, but also for the tight/accurate hits. Just cut the silence at the beginning using the START parameter. If it's not accurate enough, route a oneshot square wave LFO to START to fine tune.

You can achieve a delayed hit using retrig on a normally cut sample (no silence at the start), and then route an inverted square wave one-shot LFO to volume, creating a silence at the start of the sample. You'll have to fine tune the LFO frequency to match your retrig speed setting. The effect might not be tempo independent, though both retrig speed and LFO speed is tempo dependent. You'll be able to achieve this with any normally cut sample though (no silence at the start).
GYS
Game & Watch
www.soundcloud.com/gys
www.virb.com/gys
Those are awesome tips, Nils. Thanks!

I'll have to give your delayed sound trick a try...never considered that approach!
Hammer Bro
www.soundcloud.com/highsage
Detroit Techno, from Vinyl to Live Performances and everything in between. Elektron Fanatic.
Great thread!

Two more tips, one of which will sound tongue in cheek but isn't meant to:

1) Think Einstein... all beats are relative to each other, in the end. So if you want a LOT of your percussion to sound off 'early' compared to your foundational beats (kick, sub, snare), try swinging just the kick, sub, snare. Even today I find it weird how swinging back a kick drum and/or kick/snare makes the REST of the percussion seem 'forward' in energy.

Put another way...sometimes it's easier to swing just one part...like the CLAP example above, to get an 'early clap'. But other times it's easier and interesting to swing your 'foundation' so that the rest of your junk knocks on her door early.

2) Hire a percussionist or drummer for an over-dub session.

OH!, and

3) Use an LFO that is NOT beat dependent on your hats, very subtly...especially on the filter cutoff....
GYS
Game & Watch
www.soundcloud.com/gys
www.virb.com/gys
@HighSage
That swinging foundation idea is very cool. Never considered doing that!

Oh, and the subtle LFO on hats is great. Modulating frequencies on drums subtly, or delay/reverb send is a super easy way to give life to your patterns.

If you like dubby stuff, another trick I have done is to modulate the global EQ with an LFO...make a tight peak in the upper frequencies and then modulate that frequency with a random LFO. Gives a nice filtered hiss sound...kinda simulating tape. I think you may have to do this the round about way though. Using a control 8p to control the EQ frequency.
Game & Watch
Game & Watch
interesting techniques...I´m always behind different clap sounds and this seems to be kinda deep
Goomba
Re:How to get "human feel" claps on the MD UW 12 Years, 10 Months ago
Panning 1 clap to the left and the other to the right gives a much bigger effect and a very open mix. This is a common mix technique.
Hero of Winds
KIKOSHO FASHO
Re:How to get 12 Years, 10 Months ago
HighSage wrote:

2) Hire a percussionist or drummer for an over-dub session.

Lampeo and I are always available for these jobs

Re:How to get "human feel" claps on the MD UW 12 Years, 8 Months ago
cool, great thread!
Go to top Post Reply