As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Science Labs Re:One Machine Only Challenge (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:One Machine Only Challenge
Cappy
Re:One Machine Only Challenge 14 Years ago
I think we must use the same DAW, in the way to standardize a bit our approach of this exercise.

Probably organize things like this :
- MD+Live
- MD+Logic
And only use the plugins of the DAW.

It's a good way to be sure that we're all on the same ligne of departure with the same tools.
  The topic has been locked.
Hammer Bro
androil wrote:
ok heres my suggestions for the rules:

- only ONE MD synth machine allowed. I guess same for the MnM, buti don't have one yet, so...
- DAW multitracking and editing is allowed
- The following DAW effects are allowed too: eq, compression, delay, reverb
- When submiting, pls describe your working method, broadly, plus what kind of DAW fx you used
- As for which synth, i'd suggest we start with FM Cowbell on the MD, and ..?.. on the MnM.

Feel free to disagree and post different suggestions...

Cheers

I don't know if I'll have time to participate, but I just want to suggest the following : Since the MD can do multiple tracks, EQ, compression, delay and reverb, wouldn't it be better to not allow DAW (aside from recording the main outs) and just make everything in the MD? That could up the challenge a bit (for some) and force people to use the MD as a complete production tool.

Just my 2 cents...
Cappy
see my previous post on why i don't think it would be better...
I'm in too.

I would say let's keep it in the box and abandon DAWs and postprocessing.

MD - Whatever machine you want to use

MnM - SID would be cool
Cappy
ye if everybody else here prefers an 'all md' thing then you should do that.
im personally not very interested in that...
but i totally see that it makes sense. also, its great for people interested in an MD/MnM, to have such 'example' tunes done completely withiin the box, with just one synth/machine...
i actually think elektron should sponsor *that* project, cause its potentially great advertising for them.
me personally, im more interested in what i can get out of those md machines using my 'normal' workmethod. as said, working 'in the box' on only the md bores and hinders me...
Boo
Ok, now check this out:
what if, since the big annoucment of thr Octatrack
we use just ONE userwave of our choice?
This will allow for an interesting exploratinon in sampling techniques.
Also we get to pick whatever sound we like: a synth, a voice, a pattern whatever.
People with Md non UW can still partecipate but one sound only.
Maybe a crazy idea , but worth proposing.
Androil this is a wonderful idea!
I microluv the creativity and community feel everyone has here

So at this point Androil, would you be able to put together some good instructions for this challenge?

I am with kirlian though, you may want to wait until the deadline for "MACHINE"
I STILL WANT TO DO IT!!!
Rew
Chain Chomp
i for one.... vote for no DAW processing or arranging. only song mode. But whatever people want to do is fine with me!

The question is.... are we allowed to use CTR machines too? as they are not technically sound generators.... more like modulators like LFOs.
Admin
Rew wrote:
The question is.... are we allowed to use CTR machines too? as they are not technically sound generators.... more like modulators like LFOs.

I vote for CTR machines. For non-tonal machines it's fun using lock programmed delay for tonal effects

If we go for no DAW, I vote for using input machines as well, as this will enable you to process the MD through itself, thus widening the processing scope..
Yoshi
I think its very OK to have a choice of DAW or NO DAW - as long as everyone explains what they did to get their results its all interesting. For me it will be an excercise in how to get the most out of the MD and also (assuming that at least some of the big guns do in box stuff) it may lead to me getting my hands on some cool SYS EX to poke about in - totally selfish in that respect

A
Go to top Post Reply