As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Your Music New downtempo DJ set using SPS-1UW (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: New downtempo DJ set using SPS-1UW
aom
Cappy
Re: New downtempo DJ set using SPS-1UW 18 Years, 2 Months ago
Really intrigued by the Live/MD dj'ing combo . . . I've started to play w/ this too and have really been diggin' it!
  The topic has been locked.
Hammer Bro
Now you're just making me feel bad :-D

Actually, I had justified it at the time, for several reasons, and I still feel it was the right thing to do, although seeing how you are using it makes me feel a bit remorseful...

Basically, I had been trying for about a year to get away from computers for music making...so using the sequencers on my elektron gear, I thought I could cut it. But it slowly dawned on me that I really do need a computer for music, and I settled on a best-of-both-worlds approach. Then I tried the Ableton Live demo and it was crystal clear that Live was perfect for me...so I had to make some hardware cutbacks to afford Live and a new computer to run it on....after careful deliberation I decided to keep my SFX-6 and sell the UW. My music centers mostly on sampled drums anyways, and as a straight-up drum sampler, the UW isn't so great. After switching to Kontakt2 for drums and other sound-design stuff, I haven't really missed the UW much. I sampled the hell out of my UW before selling it, and to tell you the truth, the basic SPS-1 drum synthesis, while sounding great, isn't really my cup of tea. So the UW was a $1500 live-sampling box to me, and I just couldn't justify keeping the money locked up in there....

So now I'm learning Live and programming my SFX-6, and I'm really happy with the combo so far...
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
Right on man, I've been down that road before. Funny, but I'm actually doing the same thing you did and trying to do a hardware only CD now that I have the MD. I'm totally a sampled drums/computer kind of guy normally (duh, very obvious by my music), so this is just a temporary change of pace. I don't plan on getting away from computers forever or anything, just one CD with the MD and the Virus TI. I used to use strictly hardware when I first started, want to see if I can still pull it off

Live is really cool as a performane tool for me, but I could never come to grips with using it as a main sequencer. I tried all last year to make do with just Live 5 and my laptop for prodcution, but just couldn't gel with it the way I wanted. Oh well, I use SX3 which meets my need just fine anyway.
Hammer Bro
ok, I was listening to this mix again and I have a couple comments...

- I can barely tell when you are using the UW...which is a good sign, pretty amazing that it can blend in that well, but I am now curious how much it is actually contributing.

- your original track stands up quite nicely to the rest of the songs, good stuff!

- you turned me on to some cool new artists, I'll have to look into these more....I haven't quite got into downtempo much yet, but that's about to change....I'm definitely feeling Tipper in particular.

- whereabouts are you from?
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
- I can barely tell when you are using the UW...which is a good sign, pretty amazing that it can blend in that well, but I am now curious how much it is actually contributing.

>>>Well, like I said, a lot of it is me just creating washes in certain spots, or highlighting the rhythm. I was intentionally not trying to overshadow the tracks with a "hey listen to my new toy mentality". >Thank you, I have a lot more downtempo on the way, and my best tunes are at virusb-23.co.uk right now. >Oh man, check out http://tippermusic.net/ and go to the DJ mix section. His Shambhala mix is THE most listened to piece of music for me. I daresay it's what got me inspired to do this mix. That last track kills me, BOC remix. >Chicago, well halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee really, but mostly Chicago >>>
Go to top Post Reply