As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Your Music New downtempo DJ set using SPS-1UW (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: New downtempo DJ set using SPS-1UW
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
New downtempo DJ set using SPS-1UW 18 Years, 2 Months ago
Hey guys, got a new DJ mix using the SPS-1UW if anyone is interested:

http://tarekith.com/mp3s/Exile.zip

"Exile Downtempo Set"

This mix was created live using an HP zt3010us laptop, Ableton Live
5.03, an Elektron Machine SPS-1UW, and an Allen & Heath Xone:62 mixer.
The Machinedrum added a lot of rhythmic parts to the mix, as well as
being used for it's realtime sampling. I'm really impressed with the
RAM machines for DJ use, this will definitely be a permanent part of
my DJ set up.

Tracklist

Time - Artist - Song - Label

00:00 - The Tear Garden - The Habit - Nettwerk
01:02 - c mantle - 68-02 - Digital Distortions
06:04 - Oleg - Orion - Cup Of Chi.wav
09:40 - Dan F - Slide - Disuye
13:02 - Tipper - Minimal Thoughts Of Reason - Tippermusic
16:09 - Boards Of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy - Warp
19:38 - Dan F - Far Cry - Disuye
23:57 - Subtribe - Rayfalls - Cup Of Chi
28:36 - Tipper - BLAT - Tippermusic
31:12 - Download - Chysanthemum - Subconcious
35:42 - Tarekith - Intersekt - Unsigned
40:59 - Download - Sleeping Solus - Subconcious
46:11 - Bear McGreary - Theme From Battlestar Galactica
47:27 - Tipper - Rare & Plentiful - Tippermusic
50:57 - AMB - Smokesign - Chi Recordings
55:22 - Tipper - Couch Barrels - Tippermusic
60:02 - The Tear Garden - The Habit - Nettwerk

Tarekith
http://www.Tarekith.com
  The topic has been locked.
Yoshi
Re: New downtempo DJ set using SPS-1UW 18 Years, 2 Months ago
i love it! only 20mins through but i already like it a lot. makes great relax working music
Killer Beez
this is really good stuff - I really like some of the guitar incorporation as well.

well done!
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
Thanks guys, glad you like it. The MD stuff is subtle, but it's playing probably 80% of the time. Those RMA machines are just so sweet for DJ use! I've got some more downtempo chill DJ sets on my site if you want more stuff to listen to:

http://tarekith.com/t_audio.htm

DJ sets are down at the bottom.
Admin
OT, MD-UW Mk2, SFX-60 Mk2, SFX-6
scottkellogg.com
I have to agree. This is a great DJ set. The track selection sits really well with me. The whole atmosphere and vibe is perfect.
Hammer Bro
just fucking awesome, man....great stuff...I'm gonna download some more of this, your style is so nice.
Hammer Bro
I just noticed that you are using Live to mix...as a Live newbie myself, I'd love to hear any tips or thoughts you might have about using it for a DJ set like this...how did you incorporate the UW in there, too? What does your signal routing look like to the XONE62?
Admin
I just noticed that you are using Live to mix...as a Live newbie myself, I'd love to hear any tips or thoughts you might have about using it for a DJ set like this...

>>>Yes, I used Live for this, and all my DJ sets now. I'm also the moderator of the Live DJ groups, you can join here:

http://groups.google.com/group/Live-DJs

or:

http://abletonlivedj.com/

I don't do much special with it to be honest, just playing back 2-3 tracks at a time, more or less just treating it like a couple of 1200's for all intents and purposes. One thing I do ahead of time, is set up loops in the songs, as most downtempo songs are fairly short. This way I can keep the groove going longer if I need to, or if I want more time to mix. All of the EQing and mixing is done on the Xone62 just like normal decks, I find it sounds better and Live's volume faders are incredibly linear (this is bad imo).>I use an Echo Indigo DJ soundcard, which feeds two tracks to my Xone for mixing. The main output of the MD is sent to another input on the Xone, and I use the Aux sends on the Xone to send audio to the MD's RAM machines. Normally I set up the aux's post fader, so they are sending whatever the master is to the MD at all times. But, if I want to quickly grab something that I hear while cueing up another record, I can just switch the aux to pre-fader too. The laptop is sending midi sync to the MD via a Midisport 1x1, nothign fancy here.

In this mix I'm mostly using the RAM machines to grab textures and melodies from the tunes and layer them with the originals. Sometimes this makes the meldoy have a flanged sound due to the slight time delays inthe signal, or creates a nice wash behind the song. I'll add a ton of reverb to the sample for this too.

Othertimes I was grabbing drum breaks from the maybe the songs intro, and adding a lot of delay to create more of a rhythmic bed. There were some times I was using the regualr drum synths of the MD too, creating hh patterns and or tom patterns to layer with the main songs. I think as I get more comfortable with the MD and have some better sounding patterns, (only had it about two weeks) I'll use it more up front in the mix.
Hammer Bro
That's brilliant, man...you're making me wish I hadn't sold my UW just a few weeks ago......I aim to accomplish some of the same sort of thing using live sampling within Live, but it won't be as immediate as using the UW would be...oh well...anyways, thanks for the tips, I can't wait to try some DJing using Live pretty soon.
Admin
WHY in gods name would sell the UW? I admit I was hesitant to spend the extra on the UW version, but once I got it, I knew I would have paid twice as much!
Go to top Post Reply