As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Korg RADIAS< - >ELEKTRON (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Korg RADIAS< - >ELEKTRON
Re: Korg RADIASELEKTRON 18 Years, 3 Months ago
I don?t agree. The spectralis is both machines(MD&MM)in one and more(analog&warm sound, because of it`s TexasInstruments DSPs).
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch

Friend wrote:
I don?t agree. The spectralis is both machines(MD&MM)in one and more(analog&warm sound, because of it`s TexasInstruments DSPs).

I understand...but this is an elektron forum so how'd you expect me to answer?
King Koopa
All your base are belong to us!

Friend wrote:

It isn't the brand of the DSP that make a warm and analog sound. It's mainly the programming and most likely the external components that makes the big difference.
Cappy
Spectralis. I bought one from analogue haven's first shipment. Hybrid synth sounds great. Really, really good. The analog filters rule. Very high quality piece like Elektron's gear.
It was SO unfinished I sold it. Couldn't even save individual patches at the time. Sample import is clumsy and no mac support (still a year later...). The interface is heavily menu driven, very similar to quasimidi stuff (raven, sirius). I check their forum periodically. Still quite unfinished though a ton of features have been introduced. Still no sampling, analog sequencer is still limited and not assignable as planned, etc.
Joerg Schaaf is incredible with support, hope they can finish it completely. Then it will be worth the money.
Cappy

synthy wrote:
I was browsing through Korg's website when I saw this thing - admittedly I ignored it when they announced it last month. But, a closer inspection of the description and specs reveals that this thing not only looks like an illigitimate Elektron offspring, but it actually might intentionally be by design... and, it's polyphonic...

A couple of year ago we were scanning around looking for possible partners. We had some discussions with Korg, and I visited them in their HW in Japan. It turned out they were mostly interested in hiring us as external engineering power which wasn't interesting.

However, we were very open in these discussions (when the Monomachine was not yet released), and I don't think they are very shy about "borrowing ideas". The EMX that was released some months later had a "chord"-synthesis, which to me looked quite inspired by the "ensemble" of the Mono. That Unison synth by description might draw some other Mono-synth to mind as well with a little imagination. Fortunately it's not all about specifications though, but implementation.

Not that it bothers me, it's more honoring, but I know from sources they study our stuff to the bone, and it's honoring that the slim form factor of the Mono keyboard maybe has had an impact on another synthesizer! And I'm not surprised it's Korg. Whom I must say in my eyes develops the most interesting stuff in the mainstream area. Haven't tried the Radias though, but looks more interesting than the I-Want-To-Be-A-Computer-Oasys monster anyhow (plump in the record).

Go Korg!

Daniel, Elektron
Game & Watch

daniel wrote:

synthy wrote:
I was browsing through Korg's website when I saw this thing - admittedly I ignored it when they announced it last month. But, a closer inspection of the description and specs reveals that this thing not only looks like an illigitimate Elektron offspring, but it actually might intentionally be by design... and, it's polyphonic...

A couple of year ago we were scanning around looking for possible partners. We had some discussions with Korg, and I visited them in their HW in Japan. It turned out they were mostly interested in hiring us as external engineering power which wasn't interesting.

However, we were very open in these discussions (when the Monomachine was not yet released), and I don't think they are very shy about "borrowing ideas". The EMX that was released some months later had a "chord"-synthesis, which to me looked quite inspired by the "ensemble" of the Mono. That Unison synth by description might draw some other Mono-synth to mind as well with a little imagination. Fortunately it's not all about specifications though, but implementation.

Not that it bothers me, it's more honoring, but I know from sources they study our stuff to the bone, and it's honoring that the slim form factor of the Mono keyboard maybe has had an impact on another synthesizer! And I'm not surprised it's Korg. Whom I must say in my eyes develops the most interesting stuff in the mainstream area. Haven't tried the Radias though, but looks more interesting than the I-Want-To-Be-A-Computer-Oasys monster anyhow (plump in the record).

Go Korg!

Daniel, Elektron

Nice insider info...thanks/
Boo
Nice to hear from you, Daniel. Hope all is going well for you.

Regarding Korg, I am not surprised that they "migrated" your ideas to their product line. That proves who is the innovator and who are the followers. You should be proud!

In fact, the main reason I bought the EMX and ESX was because of how closely they reminded me of the MD. Those products do implement a few ideas from your products on a superficial level, but they fall far short in key areas - depth and quality of sounds, and the user interface.

Implementation is absolutely the best thing about your Elektron products. They have an irresistable user interface. Korg nor anybody else will be able to easily match it without completely stealing it. Because you have a pulse on what works, you can take it to the next level and leave the Korgs gasping for help again.

Speaking of which, in my industry we deal not only with other companies copying our ideas, but since our factories are in China, there have been some incidents where the Chinese have taken our products, almost literally, and rebadged. Fortunately I don't get into that end of things, but I've seen and heard some shocking things.

So please don't move the Elektron factory to China. :-D
Go to top Post Reply