As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Monitors
Re: Monitors 18 Years, 4 Months ago

chiasticon wrote:

papertiger wrote:
anyway, crix -- i'd love to get that woofer, but i can't drop that much cash on something that's supposed to be a hobby.

ahem... how much did your MnM and MD run again? did you get a special deal or something? int:

no, I had a hard time justifying spending even the $400 that my monitors were when I bought them. now, things have changed financially since then but I think more importantly for me, I've developed more as an "artist" - I have a sound, a style and I actually complete songs pretty often (I didn't when I bought the monitors). mainly, since I'm completing things often, upgrading to a very nice set of monitors makes perfect sense to me. even though it is still just a hobby.

point being - it might not make sense to you now to have excellent speakers, but it likely will someday.

I agree. Sometimes upgrading the boring stuff is what ultimately makes your music better. I just wish they sold upgrades on ears and brains sometimes.
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
chiasticon -- i see your point regarding paying nice for the good stuff, but at the same time it's a dangerous habit to routinely (i.e. every few months or twice a year) drop hundreds of dollars on music equipment, especially when it's accompanied with the following words: last one. i swear. it's a dangerous path to start down, and it's really easy to get sucked in.

the reason why i started this thread is because i don't want to overbuy -- if I even go through wtih changing monitors (like someone who posted earlier, i've had the krk for a few years and have gotten used to them, aside from the bass issue). For instance, someone suggested that I check out the krk sub. so i looked it up, but it's more than I feel comfortable enough even thinking about spending. i could get genelecs, i could get mackies, but to me, that's not the point. i was curious how people here meet their monitoring needs while spending a "reasonable" amount on gear/monitors.

and actually, i did get a good deal on the mono and md -- i sold the g2 to get the mono, and sold my soul to the get the md. :-D

so anyone else using something besides the mkIIs?

-M
Admin

papertiger wrote:
so anyone else using something besides the mkIIs?

a few of my friends use the Events (i think Glaive uses these as well) and are quite happy with them. when i've done sessions with them i found them to be more than adequate to turn out a good mix.

i did quite a bit of work with a guy about a year ago and he had Mackie H824's. they are hands down my favorite monitors i've spent time with.

i've heard some other monitors but its really hard to say until you've been around them for a little while. a hiphop MCee that i worked with for over a year had some Tannoy's and i never really liked them...and yet other people think they're great.

i'm sticking to the mkII's for now, but if i had a bit more money and was in the market i'd be looking at the HR624's or HR824's.

good luck!
Cappy
This monitor issue has been a problem for me as well. It's tough to put out good synth money for speaks, but it is lame to use shitty speakers with high quality gear. Just got done with the first album's tracks and it was a bitch mixing. My Alesis M1 actives have been good to me over the years, but they are crap reference monitors. My Sennheiser headphones are more accurate (still not that great) I recently A/B'd a bunch of stuff at my GC. I fully expected for the Event ASP8s to kick ass, and they didn't. VERY powerful, but muddy. In fact, all the 2 speaker systems had that muddy mid-low end except the Dynaudio. They were really pretty good. I think they're 1G for the pair. The best I heard that day was the cheapo media desk 2.1 from Blue Sky. Was very surprised for $500, so I had planned to get their medium range 2.1 system which is about $1000. Alas, 2 months have passed and all I can think about is a second SFX-6 and a Minod :-D

purveyor2 wrote:
Alas, 2 months have passed and all I can think about is a second SFX-6 and a Minod :-D

Man,...I have that Minod on my mind too...lol.
Goomba
Good morning

I?ve got the Event TR6 and I?m happy with it.
The bass goes down to 45hz, although the bass a little bit
spongy(germanchwammig?), so there?s no need for a sub(and
i think my neighbours, living under me, are happy about
that).

Peasn
toxictobi
Admin
schwammig is my new favorite word. :-D

i didn't even think about the neighbors issue with regard to the sub! I'm glad you brought that up. I live in the basement right now, but I won't forever, and I suppose it'd be nice not to antagonize my neighbors immediately.

i suppose the "worst" part about looking at monitors is that you can't do all the research online -- have to go to the store and hear the damn things. harder to kill time at work.

thanks again for all the responses guys. I really appreciate what you all have to say about your monitors.

-M
You really need a sound sphere. I have got to get pictures of this thing up somewhere. Nah, I found a site that actually has them!Not just for churches.

I got an older one from a hall I used to work at years ago. I remember my boss saying, "yeah, take it nobody uses them." There were two. I had an 80s model 300zx. Threw it in the passenger seat chains and all. The 300zx went to the grave but a friend held on to the sound sphere while I was gone.

One more thing the link does not show the tweeters that are on mine. I'm thinking of making mine into a stereo speaker but I'm not exactly sure how I would do it. Or I could go back to that hall and weasle my way to the other one.

Well wouldn't you know it. This is more like it.This is really it.
Game & Watch
Re: Monitors 18 Years, 3 Months ago
I recently read an interesting article on SOS about the subject and one of the most frequent problems is the lack of bass in cubicle rooms. Tried to find this article back but have been unlucky upto now. I should get my room treated too but in the meantime AKG240M headphones have been my best friend for fixing bass issues.
Admin
Re: Monitors 18 Years, 3 Months ago
eminor -- if you find that article, i would bevery interested in reading it. i should head back over to sos.com myself and see if i can find anything more than buying guides (maybe in the studio SOS section?). anyway, I will post what i find here.

-M
Go to top Post Reply