As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear So many new hardware synths...why so few new hardware drum machines? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: So many new hardware synths...why so few new hardware drum machines?
Admin
Re: So many new hardware synths...why so few new hardware drum machines? 18 Years, 4 Months ago
something to keep in mind about softies like Battery is that they just consist of excellent sound design. the MPC and Battery are extremely similiar but Battery ships with the sound design work already done for you.

maybe buying Battery and the NI Synthetic library would be wise. then you could either use Battery or convert the libraries for use in the MPC.

while the MD's synth machines are immediately usuable, i find that its in tweaking and shaping the machines that i'm able to craft the sounds i want. this seems to be true across the board for me though. my micron was kinda 'ehh' upon first getting but once i started sound designing i found whether it was drums, leads, bass or pads i could dail it in....with some time.

you're right there aren't any other MD's on the market (aside from the xbase999 forthcoming) but i really think you could just as easily get the drums/hits you want with an Evolver, MnM or whatever else you have at you disposal. again, i would consider the Battery/Synthetic libraries if you absolutely dig those sounds....might as well use them.

good luck man. i've spent hours designing drums, but once you've got what you want its all down hill. :-D

a
  The topic has been locked.
Re: So many new hardware synths...why so few new hardware drum machines? 18 Years, 4 Months ago

actuel wrote:
something to keep in mind about softies like Battery is that they just consist of excellent sound design. the MPC and Battery are extremely similiar but Battery ships with the sound design work already done for you.

maybe buying Battery and the NI Synthetic library would be wise. then you could either use Battery or convert the libraries for use in the MPC.

while the MD's synth machines are immediately usuable, i find that its in tweaking and shaping the machines that i'm able to craft the sounds i want. this seems to be true across the board for me though. my micron was kinda 'ehh' upon first getting but once i started sound designing i found whether it was drums, leads, bass or pads i could dail it in....with some time.

you're right there aren't any other MD's on the market (aside from the xbase999 forthcoming) but i really think you could just as easily get the drums/hits you want with an Evolver, MnM or whatever else you have at you disposal. again, i would consider the Battery/Synthetic libraries if you absolutely dig those sounds....might as well use them.

good luck man. i've spent hours designing drums, but once you've got what you want its all down hill. :-D

a

I already own battery as well and use the samples in my MPC...it is wonderful that way. I actually am using alot of the acoustic kits believe it or not.
Admin
jhs --

i hope your post about the return to hardware really wasn't composed while drunk cause i'm stone sober (for now) and while reading it found myself saying, yeah! and hell yeahhe's right. After coming back to hardware after using lots of software, making music is less work and more fun. Between using a mouse to turn an onscreen knob and turning a knob. . . ?Tthere is no comparison.

m

ps happy new year, everyone!
After all if you're talking digital drums all it is is a sample anyway. If you're talking analogue drums it's nothing you can't program on your normal analogue synth.
spoken like someone who doesn't own an MD. the MD is all digital and only one of the machine types in it uses sampling (well, two if you include the UW). everything else is synthesized. that's why the breadth of sounds in it is so great.

but yes, synthesizers make great drum machines. the MD and machines like the electribe (which is also all digital and doesn't use sampling) and Jomox are just great because they synthesize but the control over the sound is tailored specifically towards drum sounds.
Game & Watch
That is the reason I went back to hardware...to have fun. I made beats in Reason for a long time...and liked it...until I bought a Monomachine...then I realized...ut oh, I need hardware again.
even the normal md is a sample machine- the basic sounds in the kits may not be audio samples, but they are still samples of sound algorithms- processed in different ways by dsp.
Admin
OT, MD-UW Mk2, SFX-60 Mk2, SFX-6
scottkellogg.com
I'm not sure about this. Aren't all the tones on a digital synth created from sine waves via Fourier transformations?
jhs
Goomba
the MD is a drum synthesizer.. its a tool for synthesizing drum sounds.

literally yes, any digital machine is a sample machine, but you know exactly what we are referring to when we say 'digital samples' so i dont understand your post. surely you're not referring to samples as in "44,100 samples per second"? i am guessing the only non-sample synthesizer is a true analog?!

please friend, explain your comments. i know that the E12 machines are based on processed samples. but thats it..

Friend wrote:
even the normal md is a sample machine- the basic sounds in the kits may not be audio samples, but they are still samples of sound algorithms- processed in different ways by dsp.
Friend wrote:

nope. only the E12 kits use any sampling. everything else is synthesized, just like in your Nord Lead, Access Virus or whatever other digital synth. those synths, just like the MD, use FFT's to approximate waveforms to generate sound. so there IS an oscillator in there, you just don't have immediate access to it the way you do in an everyday synthesizer. that's why the MD is good for drums - it disguises the fact that its a synthesizer and gives you access to the parameters that you care about when tweaking drums.
Cappy
Papertiger wrote:
Otherwise, in triggering the synthesized drums, short of using an external MIDI sequencer, I can't think of how to get the same buzzes or fine resolutions on just the MD. The resolution is just not fine enough -- but please, prove me wrong if it IS possible: retriggering an EFM drum sound at high resolution while taking advantage of parameter locks sounds lovely.

have you tried using a E12 machine (eg. Rimshot), route that to an individual output and route that bach into input A or B. Then use the sound trigger option from Global menu to use the input to trigger any sound you want.

I haven't tried this myself but I think this must work, in theory it must!
I don't have my MD handy otherwise i would've tried it right away. The nice thing about this idea is that you can even trigger MIDImachines with it so you cab 'buzz' every external gear you want! (?)

Please correct me if i'm wrong!

- Happy new year. Y'alll!

-Bart dB-)
Go to top Post Reply