As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Which synth would you buy? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Which synth would you buy?
Boo
My latest album: 3/5 Q Magazine, 4/5 Aversion.com, buy it here!
Which synth would you buy? 18 Years, 5 Months ago
If the choice was between:

Moog Voyager
Alesis A6

Hmmm?
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
Re: Which synth would you buy? 18 Years, 5 Months ago
I'd take the Moog....but just because I do not have one. Not into the Alesis stuff...well, that I know of yet.
Killer Beez
dude, that should be a no brainer. Think of the resale value if nothing else. Moog and alesis are at opposite ends of the spectrum for me. I mean, alesis had its day - but the moog is gonna rock your world.
Chain Chomp
These replies are ridiculous. Just because you guys strongly prefer one brand of synthesizer doesnt mean that it wont fit someone else's bill.

They are both excellent synths, but they both excell at differant things. The Andromeda is awesome for huge pads, and analog strings. It also covers a huge sonic pallette. The Andromeda can do very convincing Oberheim and Moog tones, and even some cool CS-80 style brassy timbers. Another benefit of the Andromeda if the huge modulation matrix. It is practically a modular synth packed into a small box, except it offers a whopping 16 voices.

The Moog, on the other hand, is just a pure joy to work with. The interface is straight forward and very simple. This makes working with the voyager instantly gratifying. The whole synth is discrete, unlike the IC based A6 where the filters and oscillators are the only analog components. This means that the envelopes on the Voyager are much snappier and the LFO's are much faster than those on the Andromeda.

Theres tons of other differances....(multiple waveform output on the A6's envelopes, variable filter polarity on the Voyager), but writing them all out would take days.

Jyoti-

What kind of sounds are you looking for? What do you intend to use your new synth for? Leads? Bass? Pads? Effects? What other synths do you have besides the MD?

PERSONALLY I would go with the Voyager, but only because I have a quasi-analog polyphonic synth in the form of a Waldorf Q+. Choosing between the 2 would still be a horribly difficult decision though. I had to pass up on the A6 when I chose the Q+ back when Waldorf was going out of business.

If you havent heard these yet, here are some excellent Andromeda demo MP3s:

http://www.wohmart.com/a6/audio/
Boo
My latest album: 3/5 Q Magazine, 4/5 Aversion.com, buy it here!

Jyoti-

What kind of sounds are you looking for? What do you intend to use your new synth for? Leads? Bass? Pads? Effects? What other synths do you have besides the MD?

I have:
Monomachine, JP-8, Rogue, Memorymoog, Source, Oscar, JX-3P, MC-202, Yamaha VL1 + various modern S+S synths.

I'm looking for a charming character, not a particular class of sound. I'd like something that has it's own feel, in the same way that every old synth I have has. I'm planning a trip to London to try both out properly, if I can find an A6 on demo.

Really, I was hoping someone here had one or both synths and could share their personal experiences with them. I've been doing web research about both for the past month - come across a lot of worrying reports of A6 crashiness. But also of Moog glitching. But you know what the net's like: both synths have their hardcore champions who won't have a word said against them. :-D

And, of course, their hardcore detractors. Just been following a whole A6 vs Voyager thread on the Moog forum. Very enlightening!

PERSONALLY I would go with the Voyager, but only because I have a quasi-analog polyphonic synth in the form of a Waldorf Q+. Choosing between the 2 would still be a horribly difficult decision though. I had to pass up on the A6 when I chose the Q+ back when Waldorf was going out of business.

I had a very lovely XT for a while. I still miss it's orange beauty. Such a fun, flexible synth.

If you havent heard these yet, here are some excellent Andromeda demo MP3s:

http://www.wohmart.com/a6/audio/

Cheers, mate!

I'm also looking at non-analogue bits of gear but apart from Elektron, the industry seems a tad staid at the mo. I wish there were more manufacturers not trying to create slavish copies of past glories. That's why I love my Mono: it's completely unlike any other synth I own! 8-)
Killer Beez
oh, so you already have the Moog sound represented in the rig. Maybe the A6 is the way to spend then.
Goomba
have you had a look at the Access Virus TI... Super Fat Synth.. The basslines are sick, the pads warm and lush, each channel has it's own dedicated reverb and delay, the patches or sounds that you use in song mode or multi mode are stored in a separate memory location so you never overwrite the patches u use in a song. It's got it all in my opinion... it's ti which stands for total integration.
it can be used as a vst plug in which if you work with sequencers means no more sysex... your patches are stored as part of the sequence, then you can make the sounds go through all your vst's and out through the synths outputs, or even output instrument tracks from other vst instruments. it's still got a few bugs that need ironing out in the total integration aspect but using it with my mpc and a machinedrum has been a dream...

definately worth a test..

peace, Andy
Game & Watch

Array wrote:
These replies are ridiculous. Just because you guys strongly prefer one brand of synthesizer doesnt mean that it wont fit someone else's bill.

/

I don't prefer either... he ask for people's opinions and we gave it to him. I'm sorry it offended you.
If you already have a jp8 and memorymoog the voyager and a6 aren't going to give you anything you don't already have. Don't know what you're looking for, but perhaps it's time to look at non analogue synths.
Game & Watch

Friend wrote:
If you already have a jp8 and memorymoog the voyager and a6 aren't going to give you anything you don't already have. Don't know what you're looking for, but perhaps it's time to look at non analogue synths.

Like a sidstation...?
Go to top Post Reply