As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox writing tracks with Elektrons (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: writing tracks with Elektrons
Re:writing tracks with Elektrons 13 Years, 5 Months ago
I finally got the time to write ...
I think that this post is hiding behind the quality of a song ... I do not deny that he had the same problem ...
I solved it in 12 months writing the song on my MONOMACHINE ... I have an ESX for the drum that I write on the daw (midi).
The midi = MICROKORG. For the only song in MONOMACHINE compose mode.
I have not got to play the song ... but I think the machines should be Elektron sutilizzata Mode song, is a point of considerable strength.
The difference in method, different patterns versus a song is remarkable.
Leaves much more space to your imagination to develop real-time factors that you can not be assessed during a performance with more patterns ...
Well ... Song Mode lifetime. is harder than perhaps ...
But it is easier then execute those projects live.
Greetings

Ps. Grr... google Translate.... grrr
  The topic has been locked.
one of the great things about the song mode is that if you switch back to pattern mode, the MD keeps playing a loop of the last step/s of the song, complete with mutes etc.

- perfect for a live set where you want the MD to 'autopilot' for some parts, and then be able to take control and tweak away before continuing with the song... at least that's how i'm planning to use it once i've got a few songs set up.
MK7
Killer Beez
Leccius wrote:

Ps. Grr... google Translate.... grrr

I understand only parts of what you are talking about, but your soundcloud music sounds great!
Goomba
Re:writing tracks with Elektrons 11 Years, 3 Months ago
I compose in pattern modes. I prepare patterns on MD and Octatrack, scenes on OT and find right sounds on my other sound sources (Korg Polysix with MIDI, Roland TR 626, Jomox Mbase 01, Vermona Mono Lancet). trying to tune all elements as good as possible but also using all outputs on MD to have more option later in the mix. Also using outboard to process some elements before AD, and when sound is right, i use DAW as multi channel tape recorder and play 15-20 minutes live. Later, when edit I simply remove all parts I do not want to use in a song. Sometimes i record more circles then needed becouse it is simply not possible to change parameters on Elektrons, analog synths and external effects at the same time.
Goomba
To me, the biggest lack of song mode as compared to DAW-arranging is that in song mode on all Elektrons you need to sequence complete patterns (A1 => A2 => B1, etc.) which each consist of different tracks, in stead of being able to sequence individual track variations over an arrangement visually.

When trying to arrange a complete production-ready song (studio producing, not live) just using song mode on Elektrons, it easily becomes very confusing which pattern holds which track variations on each track.

The biggest advantage of Elektron gear to me is that I can create descent creative patterns in a matter of minutes. But if you listen to (e.g.) Dataline's productions (I think Cenk is the world's "fastest fiddler" on Elektrons), the amount of variations he creates within a song aren't nearly as complex in terms of individual track variations compared to (e.g.) an Avicii or Swedish House Mafia song. Bare in mind subtle effects, subtle percussion alternations.
That's hardly possible to achieve on Elektrons using song mode, yet it is possible on a DAW-style arranging process.

Currently Elektron is mainly focusing - at least to my perception - on live usage of Elektron gear. Yet I like to produce finished songs studio style AND use Elektron gear for that purpose because of the creative process. However, proper integration of DAW-style arranging within one and between several Elektron instruments is completely lacking.

To me it would be great to control and arrange individual tracks using a DAW (I use Logic Pro now) on my 27" iMac by "getting inside the Elektrons" from the DAW. That could be achieved on USB-enabled Elektrons (OT, A4) with an "Elektron DAW" (software) and an OS-upgrade on the Elektrons. If such an "Elektron software DAW for Mac" would exist, I'd use it immediately and hook-up 2 OTs and 1 A4 (and maybe some other gear, a Doepfer Dark Energy and a desktop version of an Acces Virus TI, controlled by the OTs and A4) never to use any other software solution anymore.

Please Elektron: close the gap between live and studio production this way!
Cappy
^^ had a machinedrum for a couple of years and the OT arrived last week. i've been thinking exactly this over the past few days. for me it would have to incorporate a mode for "unlinked" controller envelope patterns, such as exist in ableton. the additional unlinked pages could live below the "slots" mode and operate in a similar fashion - i.e you would set the number of unlinked controller pages you require and, if there are more than 4, they would then appear and be editable using the page selector in additional cycles of 4 pages. don't know if the chip/memory would support this (how many parameter locks are possible??) but it would open up amazing opportunities for long evolving pattern variations based on a single 1-4 page pattern....
Go to top Post Reply