As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Lounge considering buying a MD (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: considering buying a MD
Goomba
considering buying a MD 18 Years, 4 Months ago
hi, this is my first post here.

I've been interested in the MD for a few months. Tomorrow i am going to a Elektron reseller to try out a MD and a mpc1000 to see if either feel right to me. The only hardware i have experience with is my Microkorg and korg prophecy, which i love for pads but now i need some percussion. Primarily minimal glitch type stuff.

SO, are there any tips for this first time drum machine user? I plan on hanging around with the machines (luckily its a small shop, nice people) so i get an idea of what i can do.

Also, i could get the UW version but i feel it would go to waste (for the price) on a newbie to hardware drum machines. I am familiar with step seq through software though... i guess its not too far off. any suggestions?

thanks!!!!

-matt
  The topic has been locked.
Re: considering buying a MD 18 Years, 4 Months ago
If you can afford the UW it is well worth having the sampling ability.
Game & Watch
Just beware that you have to load those samples via MIDI... which isn't the same as an MPC or regular sampler works.
Killer Beez
minimal percussion?

sure, the MD can do whatever you want but if you are just using it minimally its awfully expensive. Get one and let it take over.
Cappy
Primarily minimal glitch type stuff.

I don't have a MPC myself but i think that for glitchyness your far better off with a MachineDrum.

- First of all the Parameter locks give you the possibility to Sequence your glitches so that you have total control over every synth parameter for every step.

- 2 audio inputs you can use as Filter/Gate/FX for external sounds, and route to any of the outputs. Or/and use input signals to trigger MachineDrum sounds (nice feedback possibilities).

- The GND-Pulse Machine gives you the option to trigger external devices(that don't midi: e.g. analog drums/circuit bent toys/synths

- And ofcourse the LFO system with lots of glichy possibilities.

But...

I can really reccomend the UW option for the glitchyness!
The sps-1 is allready glitchy but... the UW give you the option to:...

- Load your own (glitchy) waveforms (e.g. raw data/marriam-webster words/bleeps/blobs/ticks/tocks/breaks/beats/loops/flows/>your choice hereyour choice hereyour choice here
Goomba
thanks everyone for the input, i'm off to the shop shortly and may just come back home with an MD, UW prefferably. this is what credit cards were made for i am coming to believe.
get the new JOMOX
Killer Beez
eh, the Jomox stuff is fun, but its nowhere as diverse sounding as the MD with the UW, or even without it.

I like my Xbase for live tinkering - but when it comes down to it, the thing is boring compared to a MD. So they have added a few other instruments - big whoop. It still sounds like an 808/909, and thats all its ever gonna do. The MD can go there and back with half a kit - there is absolutely no comparison whatsoever.
the new version has more sample rom
Goomba
Just came back from the music store, the owner there basically told me to go the other way towards the mpc1000. He said the MD has been purchased through him more to people who have a lot of equipment and are after MD's unique sound. He also went on about how its pretty hard to make it not sound like a MD. I really don't want to believe him... but he has been sellign this stuff before i was even born haha. He made a good point, alot of the glitch audio i do is recorded to minidisc from normal everyday sounds, then smaples edited on the pc. It makes more sense then for me to move towards a sampling/triggering machine such as the mpc. And when the 2.0 OS comes out for it that will be even sweeter. I also think the two machines compliment each other and shouldn't be made direct competitors now that i got to spend some time using them and talking to the store owner (who owns them and tons more).

So, i am going to the mpc1k first, then once i master that its time for a MD.

thanks to everyone with input!

-matt
Go to top Post Reply