As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox Filter Chaining -> Formant/Vowel filters (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Filter Chaining -> Formant/Vowel filters
Hero of Winds
Filter Chaining -> Formant/Vowel filters 14 Years, 9 Months ago
Hey,

After two years of owning the Machinedrum, it only just occured to me that you could chain filters together using the outputs and external inputs.

I've just set the MD up:
-to emit a sound from the E output
-patched output E into input A
-filter input A's signal (currently with INP-FA)
-emit INP-FA to output F
-patched output F into input B
-filter input B's signal (currently with INP-FB )

Now, as far as I know, chaining together multiple band-pass filters can result in vowel filtering and other vocal effects. Has anyone tried and achieved this? My setup as above is slightly incorrect as the INP-F* machines incorporate low-pass filters, but if I changed these over to INP-G* machines so I could use the band-pass filter alone, surely I could get somewhere close to this? If this works, then holy f**k this machine definitely is awesome, even awesomer than I already thought it was.

Cheers,
Finlay
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
Re:Filter Chaining -> Formant/Vowel filters 14 Years, 9 Months ago
way to think outside the box. (sorry)

any examples yet?
Hero of Winds
I'm just trying it with noise and the standard input bandpass filters, all controlled with LFOs.... you get some pretty cool filter sweeps but nothing that vocal yet...
Admin
Amazing! I was just thinking about something similar today - for the first time, after owning the MD for years :o

My idea was to set up 3 different inp machines, all with audio in from a single source through input A. I was planning to route them all in parallell through the main outs, more like a filter bank than a vowel filter. I would like to use synched LFOs with resonant bandpass filters spaced apart, for a swept filter bank effect.

In your example, parallell would work better than serial routing, as the first filter's resonant peak will be removed by the second peak when the filters aren't at the same frequency. You should use synched LFOs as well, but one should be inverted to get that "talking" character
Admin
tIB was here
Love it!

Great ideas... demos please!
Game & Watch
Once you go Elektron...
Theres no going backetron!

-----------------
www.geirhelgi.com
Nils wrote:

My idea was to set up 3 different inp machines, all with audio in from a single source through input A. I was planning to route them all in parallell through the main outs, more like a filter bank than a vowel filter. I would like to use synched LFOs with resonant bandpass filters spaced apart, for a swept filter bank effect.

Sounds like a ring-modulator!
Hero of Winds
IT WORKS! Kinda...

It just sounds cool. All the set up info can be found within the description at the link above.

Also did this for fun, this is from the series set up
Admin
futureimage wrote:
IT WORKS! Kinda...

It just sounds cool. All the set up info can be found within the description at the link above.

Also did this for fun, this is from the series set up

Sounds cool! I tried out the parallell configuration and the MD started speaking to me I can't record it right now, waiting for cables for my new sound card...

hageir wrote:
Sounds like a ring-modulator!

Not really, none of the signals modulate the other. It's just three or more parallell filters, each with its own resonant peak.
King Koopa
i think the key to this trick is you'll need to get an LFO modulating the cutoff at a very fast rate, and then play with sweeping the cutoff filter manually or setup an another much slower lfo to also modulate it. crank the resonance up a bit and you should be in vowel sounding territory. not sure if the MD's lfos are fast enough, i do this on my voyage all the time with osc 3 as a modulator. i'll try this on the MD in a bit.
King Koopa
unfortunately I just tried this with my MD and MnM and cant get the LFO speed high enough up into the audio rate to make this work. it's a shame as it's sounds lovely and voicey.
Go to top Post Reply