As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Where to buy good cables? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Where to buy good cables?
Game & Watch
Where to buy good cables? 18 Years, 5 Months ago
Ok, I'm going to take peoples advice and ditch the hosa stuff. So, what should I get? and where?
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
Re: Where to buy good cables? 18 Years, 5 Months ago
the cheapest place i ahve found is a local mom and pop music store that will build what ever you ask them too with low noise decent grade cable, try your local music store and see if they build there own cables, or buy one that is in stock from them and compare it to your hosa, in some setups it makes little defference depending on the quality of the other components between your sound generator and your recording platform.
do a search on eBay for "neutrik" and "mogami" and you should find multiple people selling cables they made from those two high-quality (from what I've heard; I'm still stuck in Hosa-land) components. they seem pretty affordable too, especially for what you're getting. IIRC, I found 15' cables like this for $20 whereas guitar center (and sam ash, etc.) sells 15' Mogami "Gold" cables for $40 or more with non-neutrik connectors.
Killer Beez
build your own. Nothing is cheaper and you just might learn something.
Hammer Bro
milk talked me into doing custom cabling and man, I wish I had done it years ago. cheaper, less noise, and no more spaghetti! Plus, it looks cool.....
Game & Watch
Man, I don't have enough time to make music much less make my own cables...I want to buy them...sorry to disappoint. lol.
Admin
...i'm interested in investing in 'good' cables as well. i followed the other DIY thread in this forum but still have questions about what i should and shouldn't buy.

my current setup is:
MD-UW
MnM
Micron
Vestax PMC-07Pro
2 Technics 1200's
Motu 828
Alesis M1 actives
Midiman 2x2
Mackie 1202vlz Pro
G5
mics etc.

so, with this setup which Mogami cable or cables is going to benefit me. i'm not intimidated by the making, its the purchasing of the proper cabling. most of my setup is stationary but the last year i've been playing out about once a month. so that is another factor to wanting to make cables or even a batch of cables specific to playing out.

anyway, this is something i'm quite interested but when i go to www.mogamicable.com i just see so many options .

thanks
a
Chain Chomp
"Free catalog," in a Homer Simpson voice.
Killer Beez
are you in the US?

try ordering from redco.com - they have less options. What you want with that setup is standard high impedance instrument cable - since everything for the most part that you have runs 1/4". You can splurge and get balanced cable - but as long as nothing is running super long, unbalanced should be fine.

that would be something like this:

http://redco.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=78&cat=Mogami+Instrument+Cable

with connects like these:

http://redco.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=62&cat=TS+Connectors

you can also use that cable to redo the stock connectors on your turntables. I must have replaced 15 Different DJ's faulty 1200 cables when I still lived in Vermont. However, for that make sure and use RCA connectors - no phono preamp I have ever seen takes 1/4".
Admin
thanks Milkman....and yes, i'm in the US. i've had to fix the RCA's on a 1200 before, but i didn't really no anything at the time but cut, splice, replace etc. you're info will help, i basically just wanted to make sure that i would get the best cable for my setup. so thanks!

always more to learn

peace
actuel
Go to top Post Reply