As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Roland SH-101 or Moog Rogue? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Roland SH-101 or Moog Rogue?
Game & Watch
Roland SH-101 or Moog Rogue? 18 Years, 5 Months ago
I want to buy a Monosynth...old school monosynth. Of these two, which one is more versatile? I've played with both a little bit, but that was long ago and cannot remember which one I like better.
  The topic has been locked.
Killer Beez
Re: Roland SH-101 or Moog Rogue? 18 Years, 5 Months ago
I think the rogue has a broader range of capability, but both of them are put to shame by the similarly priced Pro-1
Boo
My latest album: 3/5 Q Magazine, 4/5 Aversion.com, buy it here!
I've owned my Rogue for 22 years and it's still going strong. It's an ace little synth and I often go straight to it for basses and leads as it's so immediate and intuitive. I'm not saying it's better than the 101 but, comparing the Rogue to my MC202's sounds, I prefer the Rogue. It's horses for courses, really.

I would agree that a Pro-One has a slight edge on them both, and it's also a fun synth. But there's isn't a huge gulf between any of them sonically, I think it's totally a matter of personal style and preference.

EDIT - Forgot to say, the Rogue has never let me down live but I can't say the same for the Pro-One or 202, never having gigged with them.
Killer Beez
I toured with a pro-1 for years I never had a problem.

I should mention that I was performing maintanance myself though - so the thing was always in tip top shape. I know little of the 101 - but the rogue is really similar to the pro-1 in terms of reliability.
X99
Goomba
the PRO-ONE is great !!! i want one !
Game & Watch
So, what you are trying to say is that I am looking at the wrong synths? The Pro One is in my price range as well. Why is it better?
Killer Beez
well, for one it has the sequencer and arpeggiator - secondly, it just has more tweakability than the rogue. The rogue (or the prodigy I cant remember) was one of the moog synths that Bob did not really have a hand in developing. Its a little light in the frills department. The Pro-1 just has more potential for different sounds thats all.
Hammer Bro
does it have to be vintage? check out the evolver yet?
Game & Watch
The evolver is on my list...and so is the Sidstation. I'm looking for something with keys and CV...so yeah, basically vintage. I'm coming into a bit of loot over the next few months. MPC1000 has to be added as well.
Hammer Bro
did you rob a bank, or what?
Go to top Post Reply