As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Metasonix Tube Synth S-1000 (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Metasonix Tube Synth S-1000
Re: Metasonix Tube Synth S-1000 18 Years, 5 Months ago
Yeah, look at it this way::

what are the odds this thing will sound very weird or different if finished?
pretty high id say.

Isn't that what it's all about / looking for new sounds?
  The topic has been locked.
well, as a precursur - I'm involved with this project so I am biased!

The S-1000 will surely be something a pretty select group of people will be really interested in - that much is a given. IC's came along and the world of analog synthesis stabilized, pretty much relegating tube based synthesis to some almost lost history books. It's an arcane, and arguable method of synthesis to say the least - but just like people hunt for Arps and Moogs and Rolands for various characters, filter types, etc, some people will instantly feel a sense of intrigue at the concept of an all-tube synthesizer.

Here's a link to some of Eric's (Metasonix) schematics and a brief write up on some history of tube synthesis -

http://www.blaze.net.au/~sasami/synth/tube/

it's fascinating stuff even if the usability of the synthesis is entirely up to the individual.

Personally, I'm so freaking excited to see this thing released. It's in prototype form now for various reasons - mostly due to the nature of the board, wiring, powersupply, and the panel logistics. He wanted to display the prototype at this stage so people would see what he was up to. It's going to be a very different synth, and it's to be expected that the cost, the sound, and the niche nature of the product will create a pretty small audience.

milkman- to address a couple of your points: as far as tracking and stability, he's getting the tubes to track and remain stable quite well. The range isn't as high as other osc methods, but it's remarkably stable - check out his specs on that link.

As for "warm" etc - that's not so much the concern, I mean certainly with tubes there will be an expected tone to the overall timbre of the machine, but warmth is not really one of the selling points This is a lab for unheard sounds, and at it's core is a bit of nostalgia to interact with synthesis as it could of been had the IC not been invented.

/michael
Killer Beez
looks interesting I suppose. I do not mean to be so harsh on the thing, I am just so sick of the toob craze, when most people do not even know why they are supposed to like them in the first place. You have to admit though - you will be getting a lot of emails about this synth being "warm" sounding... just don't market it a la Korg and say that the tubes are in there to enhance the audio with whatever the F they said they do.

maybe you need to send one to me to demo so that I can change my opinion?
metasonix is directly perpendicular to the toob craze - trust me. I've had many conversations with him about the evils of marketing in the guitar world, the Korg tube-cramming being the most ludicrous example that's come over to the keyboard market.

My bets are on the term "warmth" coming nowhere near the press release and marketing - and anybody looking to this to be some magical "warmth" machine will need their head examined or else they have too much money for their own good.

btw - I read through the writeup myself and it looks like tube VCO's are actually alot more stable than most other analog osc's! So break out the generator and do an open-air concert in iceland!

from the link -

Most of you won't believe this, but our thyratron VCO is VASTLY more temperature-stable than ANY solid-state oscillator. No other circuit shows just how temperature-sensitive all semiconductors are. Hit the tube with a heat gun--the pitch will drift a few Hertz. Pump Freon onto it from a can of freeze spray, until it's coated with FROST--the pitch will drift a few Hertz. Try that with any solid-state VCO, and it will stop working altogether, even if it is carefully temperature-compensated! Like it or not, tubes DO have some advantages.

but anyway, it'll be a nasty little box, and as soon as I get my hands on one I'll be sure to post as much audio as I can. And fully expect it to make some sort of appearance live in the NYC area at some point!
Chain Chomp
i personally would love to have one of these, but i jsut dont think i could use it in current projects enough to justify the purchase price, although the meta stuff i have i love, i just cant afford to take out a loan to put anything else that "nasty" in my arsenal(and i mean nasty in a good way} i cant wait to hear the sound samples, when do you think you will be able to get your hands on one?
I'm honestly not sure when I'll have one in hand - possibly not until NAMM, I'll be floating around there for all four days!
Re: Metasonix Tube Synth S-1000 18 Years, 4 Months ago
And here she is -

I've been asked by Metasonix to help write a user manual for the S-1000 Wretch Machine tube synth, so I have the prototype here in the studio. I've put up some audio demos of the synth on my site -

A full multi-part demo, with all synths the S-1000, and all drums processed through the waveshaper and filter:

http://thewretch.com/metasonix/S1000MultiDemo.mp3

Also in the directory - http://thewretch.com/metasonix/ , there are several other demos of more extended tweaking, just single patterns, or pattern chains, from a future retro mobius with live knob tweaking. And there are some other demos of just the filter section, as it is the same circuit being used in the TM-6.

And of course - mandatory synth pron - some nice close up arty photos of tubes!
http://thewretch.com/metasonix/S1000Closeup1.jpg
http://thewretch.com/metasonix/S1000Closeup2.jpg
http://thewretch.com/metasonix/S1000Closeup3.jpg
Game & Watch
Game & Watch
Would love to own one...but it is too expensive for me.
it sounds awesome :-o love it.
Go to top Post Reply