As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Your Synth Advice, Please! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Your Synth Advice, Please!
Boo
My latest album: 3/5 Q Magazine, 4/5 Aversion.com, buy it here!
Your Synth Advice, Please! 18 Years, 5 Months ago
Okay, I thought I was a major gearhead until I found this forum.

I think I'm way behind most of you in terms of wild equipment. But I'm planning some lovely purchases. So, any advice would be welcome.

First: any of you use/own big, new modular synths? Made by, say Doepfer, Synthesizers.com, Analogue Systems or similar? Any horror/love stories about them?

Secondly: what is your fave piece of new, non-modular gear? I hadn't even heard of the Schipmann stuff before finding this forum so please educate me!

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
Re: Your Synth Advice, Please! 18 Years, 5 Months ago

Jyoti wrote:
I hadn't even heard of the Schipmann stuff before finding this forum so please educate me!

Please educate me regarding the schipmann stuff...don't know about it.
Boo
Someone posted about it in another thread on here. I've dug it up here:

http://www.schippmann-music.com/

Looks niiiice, in a signal-mangling kinda way!
gear sucks! talent, inspiration and imagination rule!

(but Elektron's really sweet)
Chain Chomp
ok here is a quick reference. doepfer and analog solutions are euro rack size and use mini jack cables(1/8") they are pretty decent but "budget" modulars

blacet and wiard make an affordable approach that uses mini jacks and they fit into affordable frack racks. these are definitely a step up from the doepfers and use high quality parts.

then the "pro sumer" stuff would be Modcan it uses standard 1/4" jacks but each module is around 300-500 plus the power supply is 300 alone.

the more expensive stuff i cant comment on because i have no hands on with it. i like and use all the stuff above, but if pressed i would reccomend going the www.blacet.com and www.wiard.com way i like their build quality and the service is great, also with the blacets if you have any soldering skills you can save money by purchasing kits.

imo the best way to build a mod synth is to buy filters and delays and distortions first, so you can go ahead and use it as a filterbank for your exhisting gear, then when you have built up a sweet filterbank start buying VCOs, ADSRs, and midi to cv modules or a cv sequencer howecer you want to go. READ READ READ as much as you can before making any purchases, modular synthesis takes a while to really get a grip on, so unless you have a lot of practice on softsynths or somthing else you need to research like hell for a while.
Boo

Jyoti wrote:
Someone posted about it in another thread on here. I've dug it up here:

http://www.schippmann-music.com/

Looks niiiice, in a signal-mangling kinda way!

yea i posted about it in my "wanted" list.

How cool is that thing? :-D

I wouldn't call this thing non modular though. Checkout the back panel: http://www.schippmann-music.com/ebbeundflutrueck_2.jpg

That's a lot of connectivity options!
Boo

watson wrote:
ok here is a quick reference. doepfer and analog solutions are euro rack size and use mini jack cables(1/8") they are pretty decent but "budget" modulars

blacet and wiard make an affordable approach that uses mini jacks and they fit into affordable frack racks. these are definitely a step up from the doepfers and use high quality parts.

then the "pro sumer" stuff would be Modcan it uses standard 1/4" jacks but each module is around 300-500 plus the power supply is 300 alone.

Cheers for the info, watson! Much appreciated.

At the minute, I'm looking at Synthesizers.com systems. The trouble is, I'm blinded by walnut. As soon as there's walnut in a pic, I want to buy a piece of gear. Could be a toaster, as long as it's got walnut end cheeks, I want it! :-D

Hmmm... I wonder if Elektron will ever do any walnutty stuff...?
Boo

Acidfever wrote:
I wouldn't call this thing non modular though. Checkout the back panel: http://www.schippmann-music.com/ebbeundflutrueck_2.jpg

Doh! Didn't see that bit. So... are you going to get one?
Chain Chomp
the dot.com stuff is fine, but if you're into elektron gear i am guessing you are looking for something "out of the ordinary". dotcom (synthesizers.com) and motm are pretty decent, but they are also pretty standard. the creative team behind blacet and wiard are probably a bit more up your alley. but i'm sure you'll enjoy any of the modulars.
Boo

Jyoti wrote:

Acidfever wrote:

Doh! Didn't see that bit. So... are you going to get one?

Don't know yet. The price tag is pretty hefty. I think a Sherman Filterbank is pretty expensive allready and this things costs twice that.

It is however a pretty exotic piece of gear you won't find around other studio's a lot. I kind of like that too! :-D
Go to top Post Reply