As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Buy - Sell - Trade Dave Smith PEK for Sale LIKE NEW unregistered! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Dave Smith PEK for Sale LIKE NEW unregistered!
Goomba
Re: Dave Smith PEK for Sale LIKE NEW unregistered! 18 Years, 4 Months ago
Trades no longer accepted... I've purchased the gear I want. BUT! I will now drop the price to $2000 USD plus shipping!!! Also, contact me if you have an offer!
  The topic has been locked.
First off the PEK is nothing like mnm. I don't know where you got that idea. Both have 4 voices, but other than that are completely different. I think you'll be sorry after you sell the PEK. Sit down and use it for a while then make up your mind as it can do analog, digital, and mix. The sequencer is very unique. It can do a lot more than the presets. You'd be sorry with the nord also. Good interface, but the sound is nothing special.

You can never have too many limited synths- I got sid, arp 2600, ems vcs3, korg monopoly, fenix, PEK, and I still want more.
VCS, arg! irate: I like.
Goomba

vibert1 wrote:
First off the PEK is nothing like mnm. I don't know where you got that idea. Both have 4 voices, but other than that are completely different. I think you'll be sorry after you sell the PEK. Sit down and use it for a while then make up your mind as it can do analog, digital, and mix. The sequencer is very unique. It can do a lot more than the presets. You'd be sorry with the nord also. Good interface, but the sound is nothing special.

You can never have too many limited synths- I got sid, arp 2600, ems vcs3, korg monopoly, fenix, PEK, and I still want more.

Well the PEK is sold anyway. The Monomachine actually has 6 voices. I used a monomachine for a very long time, so I realize what I am doing. Also I've had an evolver since it was first released. You are correct that they are not very much alike, but there are some similarities. The Evo sounds much better... but the Mono makes you want to play it so much. I think the Nord synths sound more analog than the Evo does... which doesn't make it better, but it makes it better suited for a certain purpose.

What synth works for you is a result of what you need/wish to do. There are other practical factors besides sound involved as well... such as studio space and budget. The PEK is a 4 voice synth that takes up the same space in a studio as a 128 voice workstation with a full sequencer.... someone who can only fit one keyboard in their studio might find that to be a very important detail.
Goomba
Also, for the record... I ended up buying a Machinedrum UW which is a ton more useful to me than the PEK was and it takes up about an 8th of the space. It is not as oriented towards synth leads and pads and such as the mono, but I actually used the Mono more for percussive sounds anyway... same with the PEK. So it all depends on the person, you see.
Admin
OT, MD-UW Mk2, SFX-60 Mk2, SFX-6
scottkellogg.com
Granted the Nord sounds great, but how can it sound 'more analog' than a REAL ANALOG SYNTH?

Just goes to show that it's all a matter of taste.
Goomba
Agreed... but the point for me is that the PEK is really a very expensive glitch machine with a limited sequencer that takes up all of my studio synth space. It's much easier to design glitch type music with Elektron synths and they are cheaper, smaller and do more functions to that end. On the other hand, if I wanted to make some nice analogy synth pads on the PEK, it could certainly service that department, but the polyphony limit would certainly show and I'd be using only a small part of the PEK's sound creation potential.... in other words there are other things that can do those sounds, but with more polyphony and for much cheaper and take up less studio space. And to that end, the G2 sounds better to me anyway in that department.
Admin
OT, MD-UW Mk2, SFX-60 Mk2, SFX-6
scottkellogg.com
G2, PEK, MnM: they are all badass in their own ways. I have a patent out on the 72-hour day. As soon as I get it granted, we'll all have enough time to learn each of these instruments really well!
Hammer Bro
Nice! That will also give me time to get 2 more jobs to pay for them all...
Go to top Post Reply