As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear ghost snares (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: ghost snares
Yoshi
MDUW MKII + MnM MKII + OT DPS-1
http://soundcloud.com/earsmack
Re:ghost snares 14 Years, 11 Months ago
I'm down!
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
Re:ghost snares 14 Years, 7 Months ago
First of all, hi to everybody...
I'm new to the MD beast, bought it two days ago
I live in Toulouse, France, and try to make dub/tek/jungle/minimal/weird electronic music.

I have a little question regarding p-locks and LFO...
(couldn't find anything in the manual)

Last night I was trying to make both real and ghost snares on the same track, first, to save one track, and second, to keep tracks coherence with other tracks or kits (e.g. snares always on the same track).

So for example, my main snares hits are 11 and 16, and the ghost ntoes are 2, 4, 6... 14 (syncopes in french).
I p-lock 11 and 16 with high volume, and I tweak volume down for the track (thus, for all other steps), so I have my ghost notes, but very unnatural!
Then I put the track LFO (random) on volume track.

My question is : why does LFO alter steps 11 and 16 volume, although they are p-locked?
This is not a big problem, because the value of the LFO is added to the p-locked value, so if I choose a little depth, there is little change, and it's OK.
But if I want a bigger depth to have deeper variations on ghost notes, there is too much alteration on the real snares.

I wanted to try accents on 11 and 16, but I guess I'll have the same result (not at home at the moment).

Anyone uses this method for ghost notes?

Thanks!!
Game & Watch
takadoum wrote:

Thanks!!

Why not use a seperate track?
King Koopa
Hi,

Off course using another track is ok since there are plenty of tracks on the md, but for the sake of argument, i'll give you two approaches which both work to come up with ghost notes and normal notes on the same track.

1)

Start with an empty track and put triggers on all notes that need to be triggered, that is: trigger both normal and ghosts.
Now turn down the volume parameter (that is: parameter B, not the track master level) to the desired level and move into the lfo page. Set the lfo at random, hold and dial in the lfo depth to your needs.
At this point all notes are interpreted as ghosts since the lfo varies the volume on all of them...Now, let' s correct the notes which should be considered normal: For every note which should have a constant and loud volume p-lock the volume to the desired setting, but also p-lock the lfo depth to zero so the lfo does not modulate the volume anymore...voila!

2)
Again place triggers on all notes where you want a snare to hit. This time put the volume to the desired level and, again, set the lfo to random and hold, but keep the lfo depth to zero. At this point all notes are considered normal notes since the lfo has a modulation depth of zero on all of them. To correct the ghostnotes you have to p-lock the volume and the lfo depth of every ghostnote.

So approach one means you take the ghosts as reference and you correct the normal notes with p-locks. The second approach uses the normal notes as reference and you correct the ghosts. Since I am a lazy person, I use approach one or two depending on the number of corrections I have to make.

M.
Game & Watch
Another approach would to just not use the LFOs at all and just p-lock the notes in a less random manner...though I guess this goes without saying.
Kong
mr. applehead
takadoum wrote:
First of all, hi to everybody...

My question is : why does LFO alter steps 11 and 16 volume, although they are p-locked?
This is not a big problem, because the value of the LFO is added to the p-locked value, so if I choose a little depth, there is little change, and it's OK.
But if I want a bigger depth to have deeper variations on ghost notes, there is too much alteration on the real snares.

I wanted to try accents on 11 and 16, but I guess I'll have the same result (not at home at the moment).

Thanks!!

you might try parameter locks (down) on the LFO amount for those steps, its on the third page..
or turning the LFO amount all the way down in the LFO page and just parameter locking every LFO step amount individually
Goomba
Waoh, thanks for the p-lock trick on LFO depth
The tuning on this machine is so rich!
Yhe ghost concept is killing me, i've dreamt of such an easy task for years!

I also tried to use SHP2 with square wave, and different speeds (as speed does not alter the random one with hold).
Then different values for mix between the two shapes... it rocks!!
You can automatically create so many variations/grooves!

Thanks again to all, and happy tweaks.

Oh and by the way, here's my snare pattern in case you want to try it :
2 4 6 8 10 11 12 14 16 (pretty classic, I guess)
Ghost = all except 11 & 16
(I use 59% swing, short decay and not so bright)
And the kick one :
1 4 5 10 12 14 16 (very bassy)
I guess the next step is tuning of the double kicks to get them tied and more fluides.
Will try another LFO trick

Bye
Goomba
Ok, try to add these patterns too.
I just tried to isolate only previous BD and SD, and the groove is not there longer
CLAP : 5 & 13
HAT : 3 7 11 15
Go to top Post Reply