As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear ghost snares (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: ghost snares
Chain Chomp
ghost snares 14 Years, 11 Months ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSs3OL0mABU

can someone explain this to me step by step i cant get it to work. im new to the machiendrum . i set up my snare pattern with the lfo controlling volume going into m1 and i i dont hear any sound
do you need to make m1 a specific machine like another snare drum
i have left the track m1 blank andÿ just punched in a pattern and im not getting the ghost snares
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
Re:ghost snares 14 Years, 11 Months ago
I would think you need to make it a specific machine.
GYS
Game & Watch
Do dumb shit with glow sticks.
www.soundcloud.com/gys
www.virb.com/gys
Yes, you need two snare machines; one that has your normal snare and another that will do the ghost hit snares.

Your normal snares go on 5 and 13, and your ghost snare hits surround those and would do something like 3,4,6,7 and 11,12,14,15. Of course, adjust to your taste.

Now on your ghost snare track, set up a random LFO to control the volume. Trigger type would be HOLD and because of this, the speed really shouldn't matter, though I would make it something off-tempo, say 11.

You'll need to play with your ghost snare track volume and then also the depth of the LFO to get the right feeling.

Good luck!
Chain Chomp
thanks mate! will give it a shot after work
Game & Watch
There are other techniques too to add snare life to a pattern e.g.
Use the E12 snare, ROM snare or sample your snare track with UW.
Set one LFO (TRI - FREE) to modulate the retrigger parameter (rate at 1, 2 or 3 - speed 1-3-5 ...)
Set another LFO (TRI - FREE) to modulate the retrigger time (rate to taste - speed 1-3-5-7-...)
Set another LFO to trigger the Filter witdh (low value again)

Not one similar snare hit.

Do same with hats with LFO on decay parameter + filter.

Basically, the LFO's and the ability to assign multiple ones per track are your best friend. Use them.
Yoshi
MDUW MKII + MnM MKII + OT DPS-1
http://soundcloud.com/earsmack
Thanks GYS for explaining. This is my video - saw your YouTube comment but hadn't gotten to it yet. GYS has it right.

You need to put the "ghost" sound on the track (m1 or whichever you want really, I just happened to put it there). Basically you program ALL the POTENTIAL ghost hits on the off beats and then use the LFO to make it so only SOME of them are actually heard (randomly) each time through the pattern.

Hope this helps.
GYS
Game & Watch
Do dumb shit with glow sticks.
www.soundcloud.com/gys
www.virb.com/gys
earsmack wrote:
Thanks GYS for explaining. This is my video - saw your YouTube comment but hadn't gotten to it yet. GYS has it right.

You need to put the "ghost" sound on the track (m1 or whichever you want really, I just happened to put it there). Basically you program ALL the POTENTIAL ghost hits on the off beats and then use the LFO to make it so only SOME of them are actually heard (randomly) each time through the pattern.

Hope this helps.

Oh cool...didn't realize it was your vid, earsmack. It was actually pivotal in my MD purchase!
weird. usually "ghost notes" in drumming terms are notes that actually lend something to the groove but are barely heard. and they're usually mini buzz rolls. not random notes anywhere. but the approach is pretty interesting and definitely makes a simple beat more lifelike.

the terminology just threw me off
Yoshi
MDUW MKII + MnM MKII + OT DPS-1
http://soundcloud.com/earsmack
GYS wrote:

Oh cool...didn't realize it was your vid, earsmack. It was actually pivotal in my MD purchase!

Cool!

Chiasticon - don't make me get all Wikipedia on you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_note

I'd say we are both right - except "mini buzz rolls" sounds like something you eat at a college party.
right. i'm saying the approach of de-emphasis is right but the "random" part is what i take issue with. it's not necessarily wrong; it just depends what you're trying to do that defines it. in the context i'm familiar with, it's usually meant to drive the groove along (see clyde stubblefield, jon bonham, zigaboo modeliste, etc); so that's how i was looking at it.

but you're right; both contexts seem to be correct.

and um...i'll mini buzz roll you
Go to top Post Reply