As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear ok, got an mpc1000 - any neat tricks? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: ok, got an mpc1000 - any neat tricks?
ok, got an mpc1000 - any neat tricks? 18 Years, 5 Months ago
In my continuing quest to rid myself of the laptop for live shows, and to aid and abet my studio sequencing exploration, I picked up a used mpc1000 this week!

Expanded to 128mb, yadda yadda, I've already obliterated the presets, and I'm just starting the curve to get it up and running.

I've got it sending clock to my MD and MNM, and I'm screwing around with one shots, multisamples, and drum libraries.

But what I'm curious about - anyone here found any cool ways of integrating the MPC1K, MNM and/or MD?
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
OT, MD-UW Mk2, SFX-60 Mk2, SFX-6
scottkellogg.com
Re: ok, got an mpc1000 - any neat tricks? 18 Years, 5 Months ago
I'm working a Mono and MPC1k. I haven't had time to put them together much, but I'm thinking that creating your song form in separate sequences on the MPC, then combining them into one large sequence is the way to go. If the Mono is clock master, it will send Song Position Pointer to the MPC. That way, you can use the Mono's Song Mode and its associated loop points to improvise an arrangement of your song, and the MPC will follow along, jumping from measure to measure as appropriate.

At least this is what Actuel said it would do I'll let you know how it works for me.

/Scott
Goomba
well, first of all check out http://www.mpc-forums.com. lotsa MPC related stuff.

in terms of tricks for sequencing check out track mutes. totally awesome for playing live. that to me is the key of playing a sequence "live" with the mpc.

try sampling notes or phrases from your hardware and playing it in "16 Level" mode adjusting pitch or velocity. you can come up with creative stuff when playing melodies percusively.

use the mpc as a midi controller for your mnm. sorta like 16 Level but in the midi realm so you have more control. i do this a sometimes for bass lines or submelodies.

sampe drum hits from your md into the mpc and bang stuff out. i usually sample drum loops and use those for play back but i often will sample all the one-shots from the kit i used to program the pattern and then build an mpc program with it so that i can play along live by banging on the pads and the drums sounds feel appropriate.

get familiar with the Note Repeat / Tap Tempo button. be careful not to inadverantly change the tempo but note repeat is fun (especially in 16 Level mode)

assign the sliders to samples you've sequenced so that you can sweep on a filter or something.

none of those are tricks per se, but all handy features that i use daily.

have fun!
very cool guys! thanks!

I'm still in the discovery phase right now - and to add insult to injury I almost NEVER work in song mode on the MNM, so now I'm really curious to get that going ASAP.

I'm loving it so far though - the pads do make you think differently when you're programming drums/etc. I've got over ten hours worth of live sets I've done in Ableton live that I'm going to cannibalize and re-sample into the MPC to see what kind of chaos I can create
Killer Beez
the mono-MPC1K combo is seriously cool. That is the core of my live rig!
I'm visiting family for thanksgiving - I'm planning on bringing my powerbook and the MPC and sitting on the couch for 4 days, moving samples over and getting my head around sequencing

I can only imagine how cool this is going to be once I get the mpc and the mnm synced up and programmed together!
Admin
OT, MD-UW Mk2, SFX-60 Mk2, SFX-6
scottkellogg.com
Check out MPC Pad 187. It's a sample manager for OS X.

http://ieee.usask.ca/members/snorum/

Very handy!
Killer Beez
yeah - that program is essential.

However, I emailed the creator and he is not going to add any more features to it ever - bluebox will import an akai file, so that you can load directly from Recycle into it and then get it onto the MPC no problem. I have not found a good way to use recycle and pad 187 together, without manually putting the slices onto the pads and making a new midi file. Its kinda stinky - I have a PC that I keep specifically for this purpose! Everything else I do on mac!
Admin

milkmansnd wrote:
yeah - that program is essential.

However, I emailed the creator and he is not going to add any more features to it ever - bluebox will import an akai file, so that you can load directly from Recycle into it and then get it onto the MPC no problem. I have not found a good way to use recycle and pad 187 together, without manually putting the slices onto the pads and making a new midi file. Its kinda stinky - I have a PC that I keep specifically for this purpose! Everything else I do on mac!

it'd be interesting to see if he'd open souce it, that way maybe others could work on it. it's a great program...any programers wanna ask'em?
Go to top Post Reply