As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Which one first? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Which one first?
Game & Watch
Which one first? 18 Years, 6 Months ago
I'm going to come up with enough cash to buy one of the following next month and cannot make up my mind.

1) Sidstation
2) DSI Evolver
3) FR Revolution
4) Akai MPC1000

I want all four and will eventually have enough to get them all. My current equipment is in the sig below. Give me good reasons to buy one or the other. ..if you want to.

The sid is harder to find... the evolver is cheapest... the Revolution is awesome with the remix, reverse...and the ability to attach to any machine via DIN, CV, or Midi. The MPC is just dope...since all my stuff is hip-hop influenced.
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
Re: Which one first? 18 Years, 6 Months ago
FR Revolution
Hammer Bro
you have a nice taste in gear...

I would go with the mpc1000 first. this will increase the usefulness of all your current gear by allowing you to simulate more voices and stuff, plus of course all kinds of vinyl sampling etc. after that, I would add the evolver next, unless you happen to find a good deal on the sidstation. both the evolver and the sid will benefit from being sampled by the 1000....in fact, my rig will be based around that same principle as soon as I scrape up some cash for the 1000.
Game & Watch

both the evolver and the sid will benefit from being sampled by the 1000...

exactly what I was thinking...the sid especially...but still haven't ruled out obtaining the others first.
Chain Chomp
future retro are working on an add on box for the revolution, basically the design idea right now is to let the revolution expand to do a lot of things the 777 could do, or take the 777 a step further. i have no clue when this is sopposed to be out but if its anything like the other FR pieces then i am sure it wil be more than useful. btw it is going to be fuly analog, i do know that, straight from the horses mouth.

i think the mpc is a good choice too, but also the sid is really nice and i know once i had the MD i couldnt stop until i had the whole collection!!

i had an evolver and its pretty cool but it just didnt work out for what i was doing, although there is nothing else like it in the price range that i know of i would rather just put the money towards adding on to my existing blacet/wiard modular. but it is a good machine, just very very deep and i jsut prefer to use things with "specific" types of interfaces.
Game & Watch
This may be my order:

1) Revolution
2) MPC1000
3) Sidstation
4) DSI Evolver

or

1) MPC1000
2) Sidstation
3) Revolution
4) Evolver

I also want some metasonix stuff.
Goomba
MPC1000 'cause like somebody else pointed out it will enhace what you already have and the new OS update that is coming out shortly will make one of the best hardware samplers for the money...ever. You can find them used for around $650 but that will probably start to get harder because I've already witnessed people deciding not to sell them because of the upcoming OS.

DSI next. Good and inexpensive piece of gear that will work like a charm with the MPC.

Revolution after that. Still just building on what you've got. Good piece of gear that is inexpensive.

Sidstation last: other than as a collectors iteam I don't really see a need for this if you have the Monomachine (here come the flames!). I'm sure the Sid will sound better than the Mono's emulation but for me, when I buy gear I want something that is gonna give me totally new sounds - not just sounds that sound marginally better than what I already have.
Chain Chomp
not so much a flame as just an opion, the keypad on the sid makes it a lot more flexible than the mono sid emuilation, also the mono is exactly what it claims to be, an imulation there is no sid chip in it, and once you are hooked on the sid sound there is no substitute, not to say there arent things you can tweak the mono sid to do that are great but they are completely different interfaces and machines in my opinion. ps fuck collectors(please read sarcastically guys), like a comic book shop once told me when i was young "buy comics you want to read because you like them, if you are lucky then they will increase in price, but if they dont at least the money you spent was justified for enjoying the story" that was many years ago, and no i dont still read comics(heheheh)
Game & Watch
New Order:

1) MPC1000
2) DSI Evolver
3) Metasonix TM-1
4) Sidstation
5) revolution

It'll change tomorrow I'm sure.
Re: Which one first? 18 Years, 5 Months ago