As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear What is your next synth purchase? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: What is your next synth purchase?
Re: What is your next synth purchase? 18 Years, 6 Months ago
Yes, I guess I have wanted everything they have released. I hope they ait for awhile... I still need the $2100 or so to buy a Sid, a Revolution, an Evolver, and a TR-606.
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
I am thinking about the following (in order):

1. UW upgrade
2. MPC 2500
3. Sequential Circuits Prophet VS or Oberheim OB-8
4. Monomachine SFX-6

and, if I come into a chunk of change, as always my first choice will be:

EMS Synthi AKS
Chain Chomp
i have to chime in and also support the Future Retro revolution. i have to say that the remix function is relly cool, it can take your sequences and just breath new life into them, or jsut let you look at it a different way. it can do everythig from subtle variation, to bending it completely unrelated to what you put in. it is also very fat sounding. i have both the Revolution and the 777 and they are both their own machines.

watson wrote:
i have to chime in and also support the Future Retro revolution. i have to say that the remix function is relly cool, it can take your sequences and just breath new life into them, or jsut let you look at it a different way. it can do everythig from subtle variation, to bending it completely unrelated to what you put in. it is also very fat sounding.

That is exactly what makes me want it.
Boo
I don't know what mine would be.

My last few purchases were Reaktor 4, MD-UW, RS7000. Reaktor can do modern sample manipulations beyond what the V-Synth can do, and the V-Synth is the foremost hardware synth in that category. Although I am very tempted to upgrade to Reaktor 5 because I've heard the core implementation has brought with it better sound quality, and the ability to custom-design new filters and other DSP functions from the ground up. (something that Reaktor 4 can't do - you have to use the filters that come with it)

The MD-UW is by far the most amazing drum machine ever on this planet, and with a booming analog style kick drum, I don't feel any need for a Jomox or any other drum synth. I haven't upgraded Battery because there's simply no need to with the MD-UW in da house. Not interested in the XBase-999 or whatever - it would be redundant.

The RS7000 is an excellent scratch-pad sequencer - you just turn it on and start composing - and instantly have access to basic effects and synth engine components. So even though I have waited a long time for a workstation similar to the Alesis Fusion - with VA, onboard sampling, and onboard sequencer - the RS7000 gets it done as far as basic songwriting goes. Furthermore, while the Fusion online demos sounded great to me, but I lost interest when I actually went and played the board in person - it sounded rather dull to my ears.

I've been thinking analog for awhile now, but my VA's can cover that ground pretty well... so chances are no new synths for synthy for awhile. :-D
Boo
Scary, i own those too....although i upgraded to reaktor 5 in the mean time.

I agree with you on the sampling functionality of reaktor. It's really advanced and it might be the most advanced sollution out there.

Don't forget that you can build filters with reaktor 4 but not on the level you could use in reaktor 5. Core level si however very hard....(well 4 for me at least).

With this setup i am actually thinking of purchasing a MPC1000 sampler. Not because the Rs7000 isn't capable but because it's not portable, has no pads and uses a slightly more slugish way of sample management compared to the MPC.

Besides this every sampler has it's own distinctive sound and i am always happy to have several sequencers in live situations.

I don't think i will buy anything else besides some 19 Inch FX or dynamics in the coming years....happy with what i got (i am not even going to upgrade to Virus Ti).

Jomox Airbase has been on my mind aswell....but i think sampling should cover most of that functionaliteit without any problem.

synthy wrote:
I don't know what mine would be.

My last few purchases were Reaktor 4, MD-UW, RS7000. Reaktor can do modern sample manipulations beyond what the V-Synth can do, and the V-Synth is the foremost hardware synth in that category. Although I am very tempted to upgrade to Reaktor 5 because I've heard the core implementation has brought with it better sound quality, and the ability to custom-design new filters and other DSP functions from the ground up. (something that Reaktor 4 can't do - you have to use the filters that come with it)

The MD-UW is by far the most amazing drum machine ever on this planet, and with a booming analog style kick drum, I don't feel any need for a Jomox or any other drum synth. I haven't upgraded Battery because there's simply no need to with the MD-UW in da house. Not interested in the XBase-999 or whatever - it would be redundant.

The RS7000 is an excellent scratch-pad sequencer - you just turn it on and start composing - and instantly have access to basic effects and synth engine components. So even though I have waited a long time for a workstation similar to the Alesis Fusion - with VA, onboard sampling, and onboard sequencer - the RS7000 gets it done as far as basic songwriting goes. Furthermore, while the Fusion online demos sounded great to me, but I lost interest when I actually went and played the board in person - it sounded rather dull to my ears.

I've been thinking analog for awhile now, but my VA's can cover that ground pretty well... so chances are no new synths for synthy for awhile. :-D
i've got a Waldorf Micro Q on the way
Hmmm...I've added an MPC to my list... either an MPC60 or a MPC2000 (1st gen).
Chain Chomp
i am currently working on building a Blacet modular. i have a few modules already built and racked up, and pln to order one a month for the next year. and when elektron releases the next product ill hve to get it.
Goomba
I just got my MD-UW and won't buy a new synth in quite a while since I still have to learn so much on the Nord Modular G2... however I might have a chance to buy a cheap MS-20 next month, so I'll probably break down and get it. A steal at 300 euro, too.
Go to top Post Reply