As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Modular Synths (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Modular Synths
Game & Watch
Modular Synths 18 Years, 6 Months ago
What is the cheapest way to get a modular synth? Is it the Doepfer mini system?
  The topic has been locked.
Hammer Bro
Re: Modular Synths 18 Years, 6 Months ago
cheapest would probably be the Paia DIY modular system...not exactly the best or most flexible sound, though...
Game & Watch
I'm not really into building and soldering. I just want to patch some modules together and rolll.
Admin
OT, MD-UW Mk2, SFX-60 Mk2, SFX-6
scottkellogg.com
Do they have to be physical modules? The Nord Micro is a great deal if you don't mind onscreen patching.
King Koopa
i believe the Paia kits can be bought pre-assembled but yeah, as far as most bang for your buck i'd recommend the Nord Modular series as well. of course it won't sound the same but the possibilities are far greater than most any hardware modular you could buy for cheap.
Cappy
You might consider something from The Wiard Synthesizer Company:
http://www.wiard.com

Not exactly cheap, but the modules are built with high quality parts and designed in such a way to allow for multitudes of possibilities in sound. Start out with something simple and then add in modules over time.

-nate
Chain Chomp
yeah i second the Wiard reccomendation, also Wiard worked with www.blacet.com to make an affordable modular system check out their stuff too.
Yes...they do have to be physical. Something like the Doepfer or the MOTM stuff. I was just wondering if there was cheaper stuff or if this was the cheapest.
Admin
OT, MD-UW Mk2, SFX-60 Mk2, SFX-6
scottkellogg.com
If you want a physical, hands-on modular, I don't think there's a way around spending a chunk o' change. I talked to the MOTM guy once about getting started, and it would have set me back about $750 to get a basic rig going, provided I assembled the modules myself.
you could just buy 1 module per paycheck....might take you a few years to have a usable synth, but would be a fun investment.
Go to top Post Reply