As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Waldorf Micro Q (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Waldorf Micro Q
Waldorf Micro Q 18 Years, 6 Months ago
thinking about getting a Micro Q...anyone have one (or the full Q)? whaddayathink? i'm tempted b/c they are so inexpensive. but offer so few knobs.
i primarily use Cubase, and realized I can program a GUI for it using a Cubase Device Panel.
(thought about it for the MD, but it really offers no advantage)
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
Re: Waldorf Micro Q 18 Years, 6 Months ago
i had a micro q and didnt really like it too much, my problem was in the programming so if you designed a GUI it would probably be pretty sweet. i never really got any sounds out of it that were usable in my projects, but i think i gave up on it before getting very deep. the exhisting UI is pretty sad, and not as simple as they make it out to be in the manual. anyway, its worth a try and at 300 bucks you can try it out and resell it for the same amount if you dont like it.
Boo
Current \'gear\': Korg Legacy controller, Launchpad, Renoise.
i had one and used it exclusively for a project. great sounds. UI isn't that bad. i liked it more than the DSI evolver. i got rid of it for an XT, which was sold to get a Monomachine. i don't really miss them, though if i found the keyboard version of either really cheap, i'd love to have either again.
yeah, i'm hoping having a custom built GUI in Cubase will make the editing easier. and there are some freeware soft editors for it apparently.

and yes, I'd definitely go Mono, but for $300-$350, i think it'll suit me just fine

more feedback is super appreciated
Goomba
got the Q rack...very, very clear and german sounding BUT can also be very fat and smooth. Love it and use it a lot. Crazy comb filters and a good PPG filter in OS 3.
King Koopa
i used a Micro-Q as pretty much my main multi-timbral synth for a couple years. i was pretty happy with it and wasn't bothered by the UI much at all. it was pretty easy to get used to for me. the Q series does have its own 'sound' though, as many synths do. i never found it too 'warm' but it is capable of some very complex sounds. the mod-matrix on it is fantastic, there's not much out there that will compete with it in that regard. i figure it'd be a nice companion for the MD. there's alot that can be said about it, let us know if you have any more specific questions...
just mostly torn between using it or a Virus powercore as my main staple synth in my DAW consisting of mostly software (Cubase SX 3, Powercore, NI ElecInstuments 2XT, NI Konakt 2, Atmosphere) and a MD.

with the powercore virus, there are some limitations, polyphony of 16, and apparently leftover bugs...but it's host integrated like mad!

or the hardware would have more polyphony, most likely better sound, but not Cubase integrated and lacking knobs. i do have 8 knobs and 8 sliders to control it, and i can also build a custom GUI as a device panel in Cubase.

ahhhhhhhhhhh....

but in general terms, i'm just looking for a great sounding main synth for cheap! i'm more and more sold on going Micro Q.

oh, and i guess i'm mainly looking for huge bass and funky arpeggiators out of my synth. like thumping house bass or ripping drum and bass basslines. versatility is a must. but not so much into the overdone "techno" sounds...
Hammer Bro
alesis ion?
mmm...pretty set on the waldorf, just wanted to hear more real life reviews on it.

i guess the main fear with it for me is lack of knobs...sure i got a midi controller w/ 8 knobs and 8 faders, but still...will i hate programming it? can you really program a synth just a few params at a time!
Boo
Programming the uQ can be slow if you're used to looking at / using a traditional subtractive interface like the Nord Lead, Virus, or any number of older analog synths. I personally love the uQ sound, but editing it takes some patience...
Go to top Post Reply