As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Monomachine or Virus Ti? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Monomachine or Virus Ti?
Chain Chomp
Re: Monomachine or Virus Ti? 18 Years, 6 Months ago
Have you heard the Ti, I went to buy one the other day, and I thought it sounded very thin, but I am used to the MM, in fact I left the Ti alone because of the sound and the build quality seemed a bit poor after the MD UW and MM.

I see it has a lot to offer on paper, but have you compared the Ti to the Moog Voyager RME. Then you can hear the difference, and if you put a scope on it you can see the difference.

IMO the MM and Moog are more comparable than the MM and Ti, I thought the Ti sounded like a plug in, and the MM and Moog do not.

The SFX 6 Functions as a master keyboard, and makes it very easy to switch midi channels, and obviously live pattern recording on different midi channels is quite useful. The joystick on the SFX 6 is well worth it, and the LED's on the keys.
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
Neuro, I am using the MnM the way you describe...doing all the handy work with sequencing on a hardware level and then just bounce it all to DAW (in my case SX3 mostly).

This is, IMO, a very creative and inspirational way of composing. The MnM is certainly up for it. You do know about the parameter locks and slide, right? It's just awesome and creating new, dynamic patterns that you control perfectly is very, very easy and entertaining.

I use it to sequence 6 other modules and sync the MD and a QM-309 to Midi clock and all I can say is that this is truly recommended.
Game & Watch
What is the slide function?
Killer Beez
I recently talked with a dude in Texas with every synth under the sun - and he says it took a little work to get the Ti to sound as nice as the original Indigo with the B engine. I think he had the polar Ti.

His luke warm review reminded me of how lucky I am to have the indigo, and how I am not totally sold on the Ti myslelf, especially at that price! Holy hell they sure are asking a lot for it! I mean, the mono is no bargain buy either - but you know it sounds fantastic already, and the sequencer will make your virus A come to life again. Trust me. And yes, my monomachine could take a licking and keep on ticking - but I pamper it more than a newborn child.
Boo
I'm sorry but i think not everyone here is replying in an objective way.

It's ok though...people tend to defend what they own.

I've demo'd the monomachine extensively and it a great machine but in no way thicker sounding than a virus.

It's different, that's for sure.

The reason why people always say a Virus B sounds thicker than a Virus C of Ti is that the virus has EQing per part from the C and up. And this makes a huge difference since the B seems to have some EQing going on by default.

I also don't agree on the Virus having a poor build quality. The Virus knobs are a lot more realiable than the ones used on the machinedrum or monomachine. And a virus is made from steel just like a monomachine.

In fact i wish my Machinedrum UW was build a sturdy as my Virus C....would have felt much more comfortable gigging with it.

And last but not least. Why do people keep comparing gear to gear like Moog Voyagers and other analog gear?
Terms like "Thick" and "Thin" are very subjective and i think people should hear for themselves before deciding.

Also comparing a synth you own and work with every day to something you went to demo for a while in a store isn't really honest. Getting the most froma machine happens in your studio, not in some store on monitors you probably not used to work with.

Both are very nice machine and you will have to like the "sound" if you decide yo buy one.

All i know is that a virus can be more of a sound chameleon while the monomachine will retain it's Elektron signature sound.

Correct me if i'm wrong though. :-D
Game & Watch

Acidfever wrote:

I've demo'd the monomachine extensively and it a great machine but in no way thicker sounding than a virus.

The reason why people always say a Virus B sounds thicker than a Virus C of Ti is that the virus has EQing per part from the C and up. And this makes a huge difference since the B seems to have some EQing going on by default.

I also don't agree on the Virus having a poor build quality. The Virus knobs are a lot more realiable than the ones used on the machinedrum or monomachine. And a virus is made from steel just like a monomachine.

In fact i wish my Machinedrum UW was build a sturdy as my Virus C....would have felt much more comfortable gigging with it.

And last but not least. Why do people keep comparing gear to gear like Moog Voyagers and other analog gear?
Terms like "Thick" and "Thin" are very subjective and i think people should hear for themselves before deciding.

Also comparing a synth you own and work with every day to something you went to demo for a while in a store isn't really honest. Getting the most froma machine happens in your studio, not in some store on monitors you probably not used to work with.

Both are very nice machine and you will have to like the "sound" if you decide yo buy one.

All i know is that a virus can be more of a sound chameleon while the monomachine will retain it's Elektron signature sound.

Why is it wrong to compare a Virus to a Moog? Seems more normal than comparing a virus to a MnM.
Chain Chomp

Acidfever wrote:

You can't expect objective opinions here

people defend whatever they feel protective towards

I own a monomachine and know the sound like the back of my hand

Yes they have different methods of sound generation

Or simply that is the way it sounds when you switch it on and listen to it, and thats why people say it.

Well we disagree then, I think the virus looks cheaper.

I like to go places where I can trust my gear is safe, so it's not an issue for me

I compared the Virus to the Moog because they are both contemporary synths of equivalent value, in fact the Ti will be worth a fraction of todays price in a few years, I wonder whether the Moog will retain its value.

My ears work well enough to tell the difference between a Virus Ti, Monomachine and a Moog Voyager, whether I am in the shop or in my studio. But especially when I am comparing them side by side.

Yeah Acidfever I do think you're wrong.

It's sometimes easier in open discussion to give your own opinion without bouncing off the opinions of others.

I noticed this was your opinion

Which seems fine, but the rest of your post is some half witted attempt to flame me.

We all have our own subjective experience and that's why it's interesting to ask the forum a question.

I have strong feelings about this subject as I did buy a Moog, which had to be returned, because of a fault (so when I said I demoed it I lied a bit). And I held back when I said I thought it was better than the virus, as in my own opinion it blows everything else to shreds, but I'm not looking to attract a flaming for stating my opinion about a synth in this forum.

Don't you think writing about sound is difficult enough.

BTW I do think you are wrong about the build quality, it is personal choice and the MM and MD are not tanks but have you noticed how the Ti buttons sort of wobble in the case and the paint job seems a bit cheap, the knobs are not as comfortable as the Nord 2 or 3, and they are a bit close together. I think they got the look right with the Polar, and I thought a white desktop would have been better looking.

So to answer the question Monomachine or Virus Ti, my answer would be Monomachine.

jsrockit wrote:

Well, the possibility to slide the value of all parameters set to a specific step in a sequence to another specific step in that same sequence.

For example: setting a very low filter cutoff value to first step in the sequence and then setting a very high value in the last step in that same sequence and lastly using the slide function to slide the affected values smoothly between these two positions would do a very nice filter sweep on all steps played betwwen these positions.

Could be done to any relevant sound parameter...and also to the external gear!!!Brilliant!

BTW, IMO the MnM sounds different to all of my regular synths (V-synth, Waldorf Q, Quasimidi Polymorph, Roland MKS-70, Kurzweil K2000S, Cwejman S1 mkII) and in a very fresh and "raw" way. This is a synth where it is very easy to set up new, personalised electronic sounds (yep, nothing else than electronic) where you have full control. The control part, both sound-wise and absolutely sequencer-wise is the reason I love it.
Goomba

Friend wrote:

jsrockit wrote:

Well, the possibility to slide the value of all parameters set to a specific step in a sequence to another specific step in that same sequence.

For example: setting a very low filter cutoff value to first step in the sequence and then setting a very high value in the last step in that same sequence and lastly using the slide function to slide the affected values smoothly between these two positions would do a very nice filter sweep on all steps played betwwen these positions.

Could be done to any relevant sound parameter...and also to the external gear!!!Brilliant!

BTW, IMO the MnM sounds different to all of my regular synths (V-synth, Waldorf Q, Quasimidi Polymorph, Roland MKS-70, Kurzweil K2000S, Cwejman S1 mkII) and in a very fresh and "raw" way. This is a synth where it is very easy to set up new, personalised electronic sounds (yep, nothing else than electronic) where you have full control. The control part, both sound-wise and absolutely sequencer-wise is the reason I love it.

AAAAH...that was me. This log-in thing...gotta remember, gotta remember, gotta remember...
Boo

monofever wrote:
Which seems fine, but the rest of your post is some half witted attempt to flame me.

Not intended this way but the way you wrote your previous post did however hint me i could expect a reaction like this.

"Chill" is the first word that i can think of. :-D

As said before opinions are subjective and i personally think the virus is built more sturdy than any Elektron gear. That is my opinion.

I believe you in a second that a Moog Voyager sounds better when you press a key on it. But let's not forget the Ti is not just a monosynth, it's a max 80 voice digital beast. It's not intended to be a Moog afaik.

It does wavetable synthesis, hypersaw osscilators (which i don't particulary care about), USB patch control and automation (i hear the ability to control patches through USB is great).

What i am trying to say is....if you can afford one synth but need multitimbrality....the Moog just isn't an option.

Apples and wallnuts if you ask me.

The monomachine comes closer but still Apples and some other fruit.

Hope this isn't picked up as a flame again. Just trying to give the topicstarter information on the lot being totally different products.

Ans last but not least......shouldn't i be expecting the Moog to sound better anyways? It's has anlog sound generation, a very high pricetag and 1 voice. It should sound killer......
Go to top Post Reply