As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Monomachine or Virus Ti? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Monomachine or Virus Ti?
Goomba
Monomachine or Virus Ti? 18 Years, 6 Months ago
I'm looking for a new synth, something that is particularly good for hard/funky techno sounds. I'd also want to use it for hard/dark techstep.

I already have a Machinedrum and Sidstation, so think maybe I should get a different brand.

Which do you think is best, the Monomachine or Virus Ti?

Which is easier to use?

Thanks.
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
Re: Monomachine or Virus Ti? 18 Years, 6 Months ago
Do you like having a built in sequencer? Do you want multiple types of synthesis no other machine quite offers? Then I'd go with a Monomachine. Do you want a more normal, but still awesome synth? Then get the Virus.
Goomba
I like the idea of the onboard sequencer, as I like working with patterns and playing the parameters etc. I'd like to record nice synth loops into Ableton Live, then mix everything together.

I guess I'm just slightly worried that the MM will be too much of a learning curve to get into, whereas I already know the Virus A.

I am leaning towards the MM, but the idea of the Virus total parameter recall within your sequencer is pretty tempting too.

Doh!
Game & Watch
I hate learning new stuff and I thought the Monomachine was very easy to get into. i doubt I'm that deep into compared to others here...but I still have fun and make my own sounds. I've made about 15 songs with it...and I continue to find totally different sounds every day. It is my favorite synth. I'd like to have a Virus...but would rather have the MM.
Goomba
Cool, sounds good.

I may have to get the MM then. The Virus sound is probably getting a bit too familiar anyway...

Do you know if the MM SFX-6 can also operate as a master keyboard? I want to ditch my Yamaha Motif and get something smaller.

Cheers.
Killer Beez
do already have the A??? Then keep it, and add the Mono - and between the two you are master of your domain!
Boo

Neuro wrote:
Cool, sounds good.

I may have to get the MM then. The Virus sound is probably getting a bit too familiar anyway...

Do you know if the MM SFX-6 can also operate as a master keyboard? I want to ditch my Yamaha Motif and get something smaller.

Cheers.

I don't see why any of the virus famlity would produce a sound that is getting old. Maybe if you used presets but if you build your own sounds you never get something that sounds the same as you made before.

It's a programmable synth for a reason.

Not saying that a MM is no a capable machine however. Very nice sequencer and cool synthesis methods.

Both lovely! :-D
Killer Beez
yeah - my Virus B still astounds me every other day. Its really a fantastic sounding synth, you can dig deep with the programming and I am so glad I got it when I did. The monomachine is its own entity though - seriously, a combo of both would do some damage.
Goomba

Acidfever wrote:

I don't see why any of the virus famlity would produce a sound that is getting old. Maybe if you used presets but if you build your own sounds you never get something that sounds the same as you made before.

It's a programmable synth for a reason.

Not saying that a MM is no a capable machine however. Very nice sequencer and cool synthesis methods.

Both lovely! :-D

Yeah, I do program the Virus quite extensively, as the presets just don't do it justice - but I would say it has a ceratin sound/tone/texture or something that I'm used to. I think the Virus A is a bit more limited than the B and upwards, so you can spot it in many tracks more so than some other synths. However, it does still sound great.
Yoshi
personally, i'd go for the MM because of elektron's wicked pattern composition. with my MD i work the same way you do: record and mix up loops in Live. but then, with the MM you don't get loads of polyphony and stuff. i'd go for the MM anyway!
Go to top Post Reply