As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Your Music My first track (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: My first track
My first track 18 Years, 6 Months ago
Check it out and give me some input...god or bad. I also need some guidance in the mastering process. EQ and level adjustment suggestions?

I used a nord lead 3 machinedrum, revolution. DP4.6

http://www.elektron-users.com/uploads/im_retry11_mix.mp3
  The topic has been locked.
Re: My first track 18 Years, 6 Months ago
I know dick about mastering, eq'ing, etc. But I know what sounds good. This track sounds very good. It seems like it is fully-developed and recorded by someone who knows what he/she is doing--this is a very good thing. Again, I know dick about the mechanics.

Love the revolution (of course). Love the creepy, processed voice-thingy, and it's digital wash-out at the very end.

You ought to be very pleased with this work. I can make some pretty slammin' patterns, in my own opinion. And I can, through fate, string together a few to give the impression of a direction, but I cannot--yet--do what you appear to have done: create a cohesive song that has defined movements. It 'goes' somewhere.

Excellent. Look forward to more.

Charles

(i.e. cchocjr)
King Koopa
excellent track! sounds good to me, even on these crappy little PC speakers. *really* dig the squidgy acidic section, great work.
Chain Chomp
really good acid stuff, I like the full on acid bit best.

It sounds a bit hollow on my Genelecs, as if you've panned everything out of the centre, also maybe the lower mids are a bit more prominent on your rig.

I wanted the bass drum kicking in the centre and the bassline central as well, but you could pan the drumkit a bit.

I hope that is the kind of feedback you wanted, as I said I like the acid sound, and could listen to a lot of what you have there.
Killer Beez
I enjoyed this. Despite the fact that the intro chord progression is a bit overused in electronic music - its that I-V-IV thingy, but still - the song progresses on from that in a really cool way.

Another thing that might contribute to the songs demise (haha, I like to nitpick so please do not take anythng the wrong way here - I have a tendency to like things my way... but we'll get into that later on the couch with the shrink when I have my midlife crisis in 20 years...) would be more compression from the MD - thats the trick to getting it out front, and to make it punchy and tight. You know, the dynamix section - it can take that track and make the acidy part into a monster!

Seriously though, its good just the way it is - these are just details that I notice for whatever reason.

keep it up!
Hammer Bro
way nice....I'll echo what a couple have said already:

great song flow, this is inspirational to me because this is something I have trouble with in my own sounds...you really "take us on a journey" which is awesome...

but like milk said, I could use the drums hitting a bit harder and maybe with just a little more variation. this is really a matter of taste, but I think the last half could hit even harder if you did this.

excellent sound overall.
Thanks for your input guys. I agree with everything you said. Last night after listening to it in my car, I realized the snare is almost non-existant and immediately applied compression to bring it out as well as the open hi-hat. I thing the closed hi-hat has too long of a decay, and I'm going to tighten it up a bit to make it snappier. I think I may also change the bassline to a smoother sine wave bass line. It sounds a bit distorted to me. I also went through and EQ'd out all the unused frequencies from each track, so that should clean things up a bit too. As far as everything being panned to the middle and sounding hollow, that's the part I have the biggest problem with (creating space). I'm going to play around with the Waves stereo imager and see what I come up with. Should I just spread the instruments out in the stereo filed or have some parts only coming through the left speaker etc..????
Goomba
Hey - cool track! Love the haunting voices (courtesy of VO-6 I presume?)

Agree with previous posters that you should work a bit more with the stereo imaging. Just as you wrote, Waves S1 will be the perfect tool for this task. Just watch out so you don't get weird phasing problems. Monoing your track once in a while and making sure it still sounds relatively OK is important here. Just having some small sounds coming out from just one speaker can be fine, but just widening the stereo field would suffice IMHO.

Also try to bring up the drums a bit more, perhaps not using so much reverb on the snare/shortening its decay.

But this is just nit picking. You've made a great track.

Btw, the revolution acid sound is just fine. I would definately keep it. Of course I'm quite fond of slightly distorted acid lines.

amaurot wrote:
Hey - cool track! Love the haunting voices (courtesy of VO-6 I presume?)

No, actually it's a VST Virtual singing monk called the Delay Lama.

I've finished eq'ing and have began reworking the track with the waves S1 last night. It's making a huge difference. I did get the strange phasing things you speak of on the intro chords, so I'm working to correct that this weekend. Also, the drums are hitting much harder thanks to the RCompressor. I think I may have over done it though, because the kick has some slight crackle to it. Maybe I'm just too high on my levels and it's clipping (I'm really riding the red line). This post-production stuff is tedious.
Hammer Bro
cool, post the remastered version when you're done.
Go to top Post Reply