As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear What other sampler comes close to (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: What other sampler comes close to
King Koopa
What other sampler comes close to 18 Years, 7 Months ago
the UW? anyone have anything or know of any other sampler that can do what the UW does? it can hardware or software.
  The topic has been locked.
Boo
Re: What other sampler comes close to 18 Years, 7 Months ago

Auto wrote:
the UW? anyone have anything or know of any other sampler that can do what the UW does? it can hardware or software.

The UW sampler isn't all that special (it does realtime forwarde / reverse though :-D )......it's the sampler / sequencer combination that really makes it work. The easy of forward/reverse and RAM stuff makes me think in the direction of Native Instruments Reaktor 4.x of higher.

Can't think of anything else that could offer this in one solution.......
King Koopa
cool, thanks for the reply!
Hammer Bro
elektron should make a vst version of the RAM machines, with sequencer....

ggoodwin wrote:
elektron should make a vst version of the RAM machines, with sequencer....

on that note, i wonder if elektron will ever get into making full on VST's? Mono and MD VST's? Hmmmm...kinda gives me a stiffy... 8-)
Killer Beez
personally, I don't care if they never do. I like hardware - and I really like their hardware. Would the creative process inspired by the elektron machines exist with a graphical interface? I personally do not think the experience would be the same - but then again, I am not one who uses VSTs at all really.
Hammer Bro
well, one thing to contemplate is that if they started a successful VST enterprise, the profits from that would help offset the cost of the hardware manufacturing process and allow them to offer the hardware at a cheaper rate. it would also support their r&d efforts in the future...which means more hardware goodies....

IMO there will always be people who will pay for their nice hardware interfaces...me, for example...but it might be interesting to see what their design minds can come up with on the VST platform.
Goomba
Like E-mu? They abandoned their hardware in favor of vsts and never looked back. I kind a like the way Elektron does business. They don't turn with the wheel, ie. super mega workstation sampler,rompler whatever. Elektron supports their products and I believe that'll be lost when they go the software route.
i doubt we'll see vst's of the elektron synths any time soon. they have often said that they went to great lengths to anti-alias their synths when they designed the MnM. so much so that (also after adding individual track efx) they had no DSP power left over for global effects or anything of that nature (and could *only* do six tracks). this is with dedicated DSP's mind you, so i don't think you'll like the hit that similar algorithms would have on your computer's CPU.

also, the same DSP-hungry MnM reasoning has been given for why the MnM will not receive a UW upgrade.

now, Elektron synthesis in the powercore platform...that would be sweet! I agree that the sequencers are absolutely amazing on these machines, but lets face it...if they didn't sound out-freaking-standing then we wouldn't own them still and be on about them all the time. so just having them as a sound source inside a VST host with its sequencer to power them would be quite something as well.
Hammer Bro
I'm no expert, but I would bet that your average desktop CPU is far more powerful than whatever dedicated DSPs they're using in the monomachine and MD...although I agree that an elektron VSTi isn't likely to appear, I don't think that lack of processing power is the reason....
Go to top Post Reply