As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Science Labs Re:Science lab collab tracks...Feedback (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Science lab collab tracks...Feedback
Admin
tIB was here
Science lab collab tracks...Feedback 15 Years, 3 Months ago
My project for today is to download all of the science lab collab tracks that have been posted so far.

All Ive had chance to listen to so far is Ural's (my MNM collab) tracks on the Sid with Enapa and MDUW with Allerian, both of which are excellent.

Anywhoo, thought it might be a good idea to start a new thread to provide comments/feedback on the tracks posted... so here it is!
  The topic has been locked.
Boo
Re:Science lab collab tracks...Feedback 15 Years, 3 Months ago
tIB wrote:

Anywhoo, thought it might be a good idea to start a new thread to provide comments/feedback on the tracks posted... so here it is!

excellent idea.

but before there are more songs on air... maybe interesting could be (at least for me) share feelings about process of collaboration per se. sometimes it could'nt be easy to work with other people you never met...

in all my collabs we started with "paper work". there was a "pre-production" stage when we discussed conceptual basis for musical pieces. In all circumstances we decided to work against usual intention how to use a box.

In MD UW case - together with Allerian we investigated possibility to make gospel type of music. In SID case - together with Enapa - we did a hymn. Also in MNM case - together with tIB we decided to go for something different (still unpublished)...

All collaborations were very exciting and full of pleasure to work.

Big thanks to all people behind this idea!
Admin
tIB was here
Ive really enjoyed this too and learnt a fair bit as well. cant really add anymore to the collab method since ive so far only worked with ural, but looking forward to working on an 8 day mdathon with opuswerk...the rules are we get it done quick!
Again, big thanks.
Admin
tIB was here
An extract of the message I sent to Ural, after the completion (I think) of our soon to be posted track. Since I was working with him this kind of follows on from Ural's post in this thread...

Ive really enjoyed the collab; Ive created something totally different to what Id normally come up with and found some nice programming techniques in doing so. In terms of the collaboration between us both, I feel it has been very positive: We got the job done pretty tidily, in spite of me being the weaker link in terms of being away, selling machines and unable to work on it at certain periods.

I thought the approach to the task was good, I usually work from a purely experimental approach, toying with what I have in my head, what then translates into the system and then back and forth again. Maybe in the future I'll map ideas on paper to retain the original focus if I feel I need to, or wish to create something more focussed/structured.

In terms of the finished article I think it's a nice bit of noise. I was unsure over a few aspects of it when we first started putting the patterns into a song but I think it has ended up to be something true to the plan we outlined and very un-monomachine sounding, which I like.
I'm also glad you kept the tempo below my normal threshold; 66bpm is definitely the slowest track Ive done (did something in 50 once but had the drums double clocked). It was good to work a way around what was originally annoying me and create something Im happy with.
///end of message///

Back to this post...

Its been nice working in this way (ie with a stranger), Ive done a fair bit of fiddling with others sysex's in the sandbox here and have taken a lot from that. Definitely a lot to be learned from others patches/kits. It was nice this time to start with something from scratch and see how it grew from my partners ideas and mine. Bouncing sysex's and tweaking them until there is something that fulfills a goal that both are happy with has been fun.

The collaborative aspect of this project has focussed me on production for a goal- me being a hobbyist I dont have deadlines or project outlines to work to. It was interesting working in this way for me and also on a genre I know very little about. Working with this genre in mind was also very interesting as it came up with an entirely new set of challenges in terms of the sound design outside the realms of where I worked.

After working/learning with the MD so much recently it was nice to get back to my true love... monomachine!

Having done this lab Ive already spoken about future collabs to another member of this forum... If anyone else wants to do anything in the future I'm game...
Boo
Thanks to all my collaborators - Allerian, Enapa and tIB.

I think we did extremely interesting job.

Main challenge for me was to fight with limits of box. To fight for music as human activity. Because if your artistic vocabulary is limited just to using of one (digital) tool usually all technical aspects of this tool tends to dominate over music and emotional parts of creativity.

So, biggest human weapon we used against the tool was putting this box conceptually in unusual milieu.
F.e. - trying to play gospels with MD. Poly timbral, live recorded (without internal or external sequencing) hymns with SID. Or noise music with MNM.

In this stage my key task wasn't to find new technical tips or tricks of programming. The method consisted of doing simple things, making simple concepts and simple pieces or parts of music that could create an artistic inspiration for other collaborator.

And it was lot of fun!

Thanks once again to everybody!

Yours,

Ural
Admin
tIB was here
^ The pleasure has been all mine...

Feedback from my girlfriend about mine and Ural's Stockholm Syndrome: "It sounds like an ultrasound..."

Brilliant!
Game & Watch
Didn't really know how to start and Koshi just sent me a kit and pattern he had made.
I liked the vibe from the beginning and added some stuff and started to make alternate kits - including tweaked and/or parameter locked RAM machines - with the CTRL-ALL machine and saved them to different slots. Then we started working in Song mode using different pattern lenghts & offsets. Some transitions are a still a bit dodgy but nevertheless we think it's an interesting track offering a lot of variety and a good showcase of what internal machines are capable of. Due to the rather impredictable nature of the RAM machines, each play can sound differently, especially when you start muting tracks and tweaking kits.

Really enjoyed doing this with Koshi and looking forward to the next collabs.
Game & Watch
tIB and Ural, I listened to your track at work yesterday.

Needless to describe the faces of the colleagues

The distorted VO synth is indeed Trashy (with capital T).

Still amazing how you can go from very subtile angelic sounds to the most evil with a few knob twists on the Mono.
Boo
eminor9 wrote:
Didn't really know how to start and Koshi just sent me a kit and pattern he had made.
I liked the vibe from the beginning and added some stuff and started to make alternate kits - including tweaked and/or parameter locked RAM machines - with the CTRL-ALL machine and saved them to different slots. Then we started working in Song mode using different pattern lenghts & offsets. Some transitions are a still a bit dodgy but nevertheless we think it's an interesting track offering a lot of variety and a good showcase of what internal machines are capable of. Due to the rather impredictable nature of the RAM machines, each play can sound differently, especially when you start muting tracks and tweaking kits.

Really enjoyed doing this with Koshi and looking forward to the next collabs.

nice music. meditation feeling. it recalls me memories about some Paul Lansky's CD (i can't remember name of CD, it was 15 years ago...).

good job done!

EDIT: Paul Lansky "Homebrew"
Cappy
I'm very much enjoying 'Vitamin 5' by Kas & iPassenger
nice work
Go to top Post Reply