As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Is anybody using an MPC with the Elektron gear? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Is anybody using an MPC with the Elektron gear?
Hammer Bro
Is anybody using an MPC with the Elektron gear? 18 Years, 8 Months ago
Hello,
Just wondering if anybody has some first hand experience using an MPC (specifically MPC-1000) alongside a machinedrum or monomachine. Seems like it would be a good match. I'd be using the sampling mainly to sample phrases from my monosynths and for some drumbreaks and vinyl samples. I'd also like to use the sequencer to control MIDI synths and get away from computer sequencing. Is the MPC seq good for this? How will it integrate with the sequencer on the machinedrum?

Thanks.
  The topic has been locked.
Re: Is anybody using an MPC with the Elektron gear? 18 Years, 8 Months ago
The only problem you might encounter (especially with breaks, recorded loops, etc.) is that the MPC1K cannot do time-streching, etc.

More to come.

cchocjr
i use an mpc1k plus sps-1 and evolver.

for jamming and live pa its the best combo ive come across so far.

its surprisingly inspirational to play the machinedrum thru the velocity-sensitive pads and sequencer, i lay down beats in realtime (and hey you can do triplets ). also i don't consider myself a 'keys' player so id rather be banging on drumpads onstage.

the mpc1k does have problems though, it will make you wish it had real-time timestretch (like Ableton) or at least better sample tweaking, like a korg esx or something.

when they make something that combines memory and midi seq of mpc with realtime tweaking of esx, i will be the first one to buy. (elektron are u listening? )

oops must run will write more later.
Hammer Bro
thanks guys..

well, one thing that I don't mind using the PC for is sample editing. so if the MPC-1000 lacks good sample editing and also timestretching, not a big problem. but is the MPC-1000 sequencer good for sophisticated melodic lines (not just drum lines)???

Also, have you guys heard about the MPC-2500 that's coming out? Maybe will bring down the price of the 1000 so low that I'd have to pick one up.
Spec wise you can definitely do most sequencing tasks on the 1k, not just drums.
There is an event-style edit mode along with the realtime pad-bashing (which can be quantized or not).
The great thing is you can switch in and out of record mode without stopping the sequence playback. (fun for live overdubbing/jam/performing).
Its got 2 midi out jacks which is nice too.
Actually its probably better on the sequencing front then it is sampling.

There are a few quirks in the way it integrates external midi controller info with its internal sounds, eg. whichever program is selected on the main screen is the only one u can play with the pads, is the only one you can record midi into.

another dumb thing: the 1k cant generate midi cc messages itself (see those sliders? no such luck, only for internal..), although it will certainly record/edit/play cc and even sysex stuff.

re the 2500, people have been talking about stuff like that for a long time, but ive never heard a reliable estimate of what or when. i'd love to know, myself.
hmm stop the press,

i just looked at mpc-forums.com and there is a big discussion about a 2500 announcement. looks a little unofficial but more realistic then some past info.

its got some of my wishlist features (realtime stretching?), but one thing i don't like already is it looks to be the size of the 2k series. I really like the small size of 1k, its a big factor for me.

cheers
Killer Beez
I have the MPC1k and I really like it - for a while I thought that I might sell it - but its a very capable little box if you do a lot of the editing on a PC and use the seperate outputs and mix it externally. Otherwise, its a little limited on the front panel for realtime control. The MPC MnM MD combo will kick serious ass, and fit into a little case with a compact mixer - thats the rig of champions right there!
Chain Chomp
I would second everything that everyone has said. After playing around with some of the popular sequencer (RS7K, ESX-1, MPC1K), the MPC is probably the best mix of user-friendliness and sequencing power. I would probably second 'Friend''s comment that the MPC1K is a better sequencer than it is a sampler, but the ease of importing samples and creating programs (via a computer-based program and USB/flash card) is very convenient. When I did have my MPC1K, I did use it to sequence melodies, and not just beats, and it seemed more than able.

If I ever did buy a dedicated sampler again (probably won't), I would be seriously tempted to get the MPC1K, but probably couldn't bring myself to do it because of the limited tweakability and limited/low-rent onboard effects.
--though I would REALLY wan't to. Really.

I also second 'friend' (the same friend?) that "when they make something that combines memory and midi seq of mpc with realtime tweaking of esx, i will be the first one to buy."

In the interim, I will ship my MD later this week to have it up'ed to UW status.

:-D

cchocjr
Hammer Bro
^^ since you mention it, I guess I'll point out that the MD-UW is very far removed from a normal sampler. It is really cool to be able to use your own stuff as raw material for the MD engine/sequencer, but it really doesn't fill a lot of the more traditional sampler roles. For example, I want to sample some patterns off my evolver for multitrack-esque functionality, but the UW can't really do that properly...so I think that there would be little overlap between an MPC (or any phrase sampler) and the UW.
Killer Beez
I only use my MPC1K to spit out synth and a few other little things - like vox. Its my polysynth
Go to top Post Reply