As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Worthwhile budget analogue synths...any thoughts? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Worthwhile budget analogue synths...any thoughts?
Chain Chomp
Worthwhile budget analogue synths...any thoughts? 18 Years, 8 Months ago
Greetings, all.

Not that I need any new synths, mind you, but I was curious of anyone's experience with worthwhile, CHEAP, analogue synths. I have a Matrix-1000, which I am just starting to give the time of day. I got it for $70 through harmony-central.com (ugly as shit, but works great!). This synth just seems to fit the criteria of 'good' and 'cheap,' especially with the help of a software editor to take advantage of the powerful underlying architecture.

I also have a DSI Evolver, which I still haven't given a fair shake as of yet (though I'm moving slowly and surely)--this synth, obviously, has an amazing price-point for the features and control that this synth offers.

Any other thoughts? Doesn't necessarily have to be an analogue synth. Any synth really...

What diamonds in the rough have you stumbled across?
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
OT, MD-UW Mk2, SFX-60 Mk2, SFX-6
scottkellogg.com
Re: Worthwhile budget analogue synths...any thoughts? 18 Years, 8 Months ago
If you haven't yet gotten into the Evo, I'm not sure why you are looking for another synth ...
Chain Chomp
This frustrated liberal has been getting into DIY. I suggest you guys get into it. While the projects I'm planning on doing aren't synths there are others. I suggest, if you are interested, do a Paia project. I did a Fatman synth along with a few modifications. It was my first soldering job. If you got any common sense soldering isn't that hard. Just practice with some cheap components bought at your local version of Radioshack.

I just ordered a Tube Head Preamp from Paia. I also plan to build an SSL Compressor Clone. I want to build a stack in a cheap fender amp. I'm going to take the speaker out and build everything inside it. I gotta find out if it's possible first.

There is also the uCApps projects I'm planning much later.

I have no intention in buying anything from a manufacturer except maybe the announced sp404. Did they say battery powered?
Admin
OT, MD-UW Mk2, SFX-60 Mk2, SFX-6
scottkellogg.com
Man, I wish I had time for DIY stuff like that. I can barely keep up with the stuff I already have. Maybe you'd like to give a talk on DIY synths at the next MEMS ...
Hammer Bro
well I would second the idea of digging into the evolver some more...

but if you have the GAS, and since you said it doesn't HAVE to be true analog, you might want to think about gobbling up a first-gen nord modular...the micromodulars appear with pretty good regularity and usually end around $300 on ebay, and the keyboard versions can be had for under $500 if you're sharp. the rack version is more scarce...anyways, I guarantee that you will have plenty to do with one of those synths...
Chain Chomp

glaive wrote:
If you haven't yet gotten into the Evo, I'm not sure why you are looking for another synth ...

Well, for starters, I buy too much goddamned equipment. But beyond this, I have a certain curiousity about this sort of stuff, and wouldn't mind having some info./opinions for the next time I find myself lusting for more gear. I'm good to go for now. Like I said, I have the Matrix-1000 and the Evolver to delve into...and I have yet to even touch the FM+ machines in the MNM.

PLENTY to explore for the time being. But curious nonetheless. Though research I've been able to find out about 'secret' synths out there that people absolutely love, and happen to be quite accessible in terms of cost.

Why do you have to throw my weakness in my face, Glaive?

cchocjr
Chain Chomp

glaive wrote:
Man, I wish I had time for DIY stuff like that.

I do plan on starting some DIY stuff myself--in particular, the uCapps Sid synth. I just need to sit down and make a list of all the necessary components and get them ordered! Also scoping out eBay for C64's at a decent price...waiting for a deal, maybe on a semi-functional one where at least the SID chip and the power supply will be intact.

I'll check out the 'Fatman' synth as well.

Anyone else know of any cool DIY projects out there (well documented, with accessible parts and instructions)? I'm on the waiting list for an x0xb0x, myself...

cchocjr
Boo
A rewarding and cheap analogue synth would be the Waldorf Pulse. Real goo for bass sounds and very underrated if you ask me, specially if you check it's features!
Killer Beez
the fatman is lame - don't bother. The Midibox SID blows the shit out of that thing, and you could build 6 for the same money!

There are a lot of DIY synths out there - like this one:

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/SOUNDLABMINISYNTH/soundlab.html#BUYBOARDS

screw the fatman - its trash. However, Paia is a great company - and will support you while you build it - but the synth is not very exciting, and its not hugely DIY because its a kit with an expensive case... sourcing and designing the case are half the fun!
aom
Cappy
I recently acquired a desktop Evolver, and I find that beside an Elektron interface, it's not the most intuitive or inspiring piece of gear, so I haven't found myself using it as much as I thought I would.

I can totally appreciate the potential of the Evolver based on the presets and the bit of noodling about I've done, but it's def. not as immediate as my MD.

Have other Elektron users had similar experiences when trying to pair up Elektron and non-Elektron gear?
Go to top Post Reply