As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear MD realtime recording timing (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: MD realtime recording timing
Goomba
MD realtime recording timing 18 Years, 9 Months ago
Hey kidz!

One thing thats bothering me about my MD is the fact that whenever I'm try to record something in "realtime", you know [play]+[rec] maybe one note out of four, tops, ends up where it's supposed to be. It is _not_ thight at all, almost unusable. And I really don't think the problem is me 'cuz I do not have this problem with my MnM (or other stuff).

Anybody else experience this? I don't see this being a HW problem really, maybe an OS update could solve it?

Any pointers would be appreciated...

BRGDS, Spanky
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
Re: MD realtime recording timing 18 Years, 9 Months ago
Maybe ,

The MD is quantizing what you are playing live into it.
Try to determine if the errors are before the beat or after the beat, and compensate by adjusting your playing faster or slower.
No one plays like a machine so there will always be diferences between what you play and what is recorded.

. . . . . also the perceived attack times of instruments could be later than the inital trigger time.
Goomba
Thanks man, but I dont think that is the problem. I've had a few HW sequencers and never had a problem really.

Monomachine (and my late MC-909) = No problems at all
Machinedrum (UW) = Not useable

Maybe if I was using it in a complex midi-setup I would think it was kind of, you know, midi-latency related but this not the case, just plain vanilla local: on.

Otherwise It's just peachey tho' :-D
Killer Beez
the clock on the machinedrum is so ridculous, that it will pick up errors during realtime play - no matter how solid you think you are at entering in a pattern. Mine does the same thing to me all the time - however, a little tweak to put the notes towards the end of the pattern where they belong, and you are all set.

I too notice that the monomachine is a little more forgiving.

Sometimes I set up a click on the md using the kick or hats to play along to, that seems to help.
Goomba

milkmansnd wrote:

Sometimes I set up a click on the md using the kick or hats to play along to, that seems to help.

yeah,
i think a real loud, sharp, short, crisp hi hat sound will help you lock on to the clock, 'cuz sometimes the more legato sounds or ambiguous attacks tend to let your own tempo or "center" wander or fall behind.
Goomba
Thanks guys, an os update took care of it, turned out it was not the latest. There is a huuuge difference in timing, really

Oh well, thanks again - back to making music
yeah, i was about to ask what OS you were using.
i'm a drummer, and consider my timing to be good...
normally, i can enter stuff in tapping and it's on beat fine, but one particular OS update (i think even version C of the latest), suddenly i was experiencing what you were.
although this absolute latest again seems fine...
Goomba
Yep, That was it - now it's, in the immortal words of Goldmember: -"tight like a tiger" :-D
"tight like a tiger"...that's a stupid inside joke for me and my friends
and others, who knew!!

i like when he eats his flaking skin or dandruff...fucking grosssss but hilarious.......

[oh yeah, this is an elektron forum :oops: :oops:]
Goomba
Getting OT but that is a kicka*s movie.

Goldmember: -"Dr. Evil, You look very toit. Yesh, toit like a toiger. Yesh Yesh Yesh."

Dr. Evil: -"You know, Goldmember? I don't think that's something one dude should say to another dude. Yeah. A little creepy. Mmhmm."

:-D
Go to top Post Reply