As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox what samples do you use with md uw machines? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: what samples do you use with md uw machines?
Goomba
Re:what samples do you use with md uw machines? 15 Years, 5 Months ago
A nice technique I sometimes use with other samplers (I don' t own an UW) is to play the source sound one or two octaves higher and sample it. Back in the sampler, transpose them the same amount down. This way you have very small samples and it can add a nice grit to them, without getting really lo-fi. Some samples can handle this better than others...
  The topic has been locked.
Killer Beez
I've tried lot of different ideas how to collect the *perfect 32 samples*. I've organised the sample-memory so that, first 16 slots are used for drumhits and other self-evident stuff. Kicks are always on slots 1-3 and snares on 4-6. This way stuff don't change so much, even if I change some samples. The latter 16 slots are for more experimental stuff and no drums. Here are some ideas:

1. Normal acoustic drums
I've got 3 kicks and 3 snares, which are result of a long time trying out different samples. I only change one or two of these, if I come up better ones. Sometimes I change them for different style. Then I have the usual hihats, claps and such. Nothing special here.

2. Chromatic samples
The stuff you can play notes and melodies. I've got some bass-samples for basslines, horns and such. I've also added a one single-cycle waveform (square). With MD-filters and LFOs, you can make a little bassline synthesizer out of this.

3. Transient-banks
I've got two sample-slots, where I've collected transients. First one is collected transients from different clicky sounds - I call these a Tel-Aviv-transients. Other one is transients from different kick-drums. 8 transients for each, which I use by selecting the correct one with the Start and End parameters. These are good for layering with TRX and EFM BDs. Transient shapes the perception of the sound so much.

4. MicroMontageSounds
These are sound-montages of different sources just tied up together. There are spoken words, radio noises, synths sounds, electronic glitch, drum samples. This is more of a experimental thing, which I approach with Machine LFO's set to Start and End. Odd sounds and resources of finding random bleeps.

5. Fill-in sounds
This is a category where I place all kinds of 'fill-in' sounds, which are not drums or instrument by themselves. Like Rasp from vinyl, or stuff done with image-synthesis, glitchy stuff, noise and so on.

I know people have different feelings about limit of 32 samples. In my case, I've done a lot more thinking than I would have, if I had unlimited space. I've cutted and polished a lot and I think results are better because of this. Still, I could use *a little bit more*, since I find it haunting to delete any of this stuff I've collected.
Toni wrote:
I've tried lot of different ideas how to collect the *perfect 32 samples*. I've organised the sample-memory so that, first 16 slots are used for drumhits and other self-evident stuff. Kicks are always on slots 1-3 and snares on 4-6. This way stuff don't change so much, even i...

Thanks for sharing Toni. You've developed a very effecient way to use the small storage space in MDuw. Very nice thoughts.

Now I am thinking about using uw features like a sound processing unit (the space is for temporary storage) rather than a sound reinforcement for synthesis with samples. So I need to free up much space.

cecil I will try your method. sounds cool! Now I feel that we've gone back to the Rebirth age that everyone manages to break limitations. Very fun.
Rew
Chain Chomp
I use Cecil's pitch up method on the UW alot and it works out great for reducing the memory used!

@Toni, thanks for sharing. I always want to use my slots like this... but am never organised enough to do so. I can see you've thought long and hard about it and i think your model makes alot of sense.
Go to top Post Reply