As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Perfect machinedrum companion? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Perfect machinedrum companion?
Re: Perfect machinedrum companion? 18 Years, 9 Months ago
OK, I don't mean to say you can't make 'Techno' without old xox gear or whatever. In fact, I totally think the concept of Techno is to make new, adventurous sounds.

But, speaking from experience if you are really into capital-T Techno as a genre, you are probably going to lust after certain 'classic' sounds that you heard in all your favourite songs, and you might feel a little let-down if you can't make those sounds for certain parts in your own tracks.

Just like, if you were some guitar guy and your heroes were like Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray V. or whoever, you would, probably, go out and buy a Fender Strat at some point, don't you think?

So I stand by my suggestion because from reading Acidfever's description (and even his forum name!) I thought that might be his situation. I mean, I hear him saying he's after a certain sound, that is like recordings he's heard...

I have only heard demos of the Virus and played with my friend's Virus B briefly, but I didn't exactly think it sounded very similar to some old roland gear or something, and I've never really heard people suggest the Virus was a master of sounding 'analog' or 'retro' or anything.

I'm sure that everyone on here can agree that A.f. has more than enough great gear to make great tracks, and it seems kinda ridiculous to even consider spending more $$$$ at this point. But I also know that most people can relate to the quest for "that certain sound".

Ok, time to stop rambling .
  The topic has been locked.
aom
Cappy
Interesting topic, re "that sound" . . .

I can see where the above post is coming from in terms of "needing" certain gear to get "that techno sound," but in the true spirit of techno, shouldn't one simply use what's availble them?

The Detoit pioneers didn't really have a (specific) reference sound (other than Kraftwerk and other influences) in terms of gear, but had to make due w/ cheap/affordable stuff (at the time) that they could get their hands on (mostly Roland stuff).

Of course this is all in hindsight, now that we have the internet and so many manufactures catering specifically to electronic music there aren't many gear mysteries anymore. . . it's so easy to learn about any and all gear, past or present, and what it can do for you . . . yet still hard to find "that sound" . . .

Just thinking out loud at this point
I think that what ever you say about techno you are barking up the wrong tree... to be an individual is to be truly Techno.. using what you have (and I would say even reaktor by itself is MORE than enough) will bring you that techno sound. Is it possible that you are unaware of mastering or final processing techniques? maybe you should stop trying to be an all in one producer and focus on the track leaving the polished sound to people who do that kind of thing i.e an engineer.
Chain Chomp
Why not try to find out what gear the artist you are trying to emulate were using, and recreate their studio in your own home
Killer Beez
now now - play nice!
haha,

to chris and monof.:

Geez, just read my post again.
Did I really say what you are implying I said? In the first line I agreed that the point of Techno is to be innovative, I've always thought that.

And what's that bit about mastering knowledge... I'll just leave that one, since it has nothing to do with the discussion.

My points are just common sense, and I dare anyone to argue with it::::

1.Sometimes, musicians fall in love with / are inspired by/ certain specific sounds they hear, and they get a desire to use _that_ sound at a particular spot in their own music.

2.Furthermore, some sounds are better or at least more easily created __on the original equipment that was used to make them__.

((Okay, I'm sure some will argue with #2, considering the endless "virtual vs. real" analog debates that currently rage on, but I don't mean to get into that.))

Now remind me when I ever suggested that anyone should slavishly/wholesale copy someone else's sound?

My own setup is in no way an attempt to copy anyone in particular. (machinedrum, evolver, mpc, ex5, sh32, dp/2, juno106 and misc.) But it was totally fun and worth it to buy the juno106 because it brings a smile to my face hearing 'that particular sound' that graces some of my favourite tracks from days back. Is that some kind of personal failing , do you think? %) I'm sure I'm not alone.

(Indeed the sh32 i got cause it was 'cheap and easily available' so i guess that's the real techno philosophy, right ? nb i think its underrated and can do some weird sounds)

Anyway in hindsight I can appreciate the obvious mistake of posting this opinion on the home of "we don't need no stinking 909 hats" electron. I'm sure if I posted it to "Vintage Analog Acid Fiends United" board the reaxn would have been totally different .

Why does everyone seem to be so polarized like "vintage sux" or "vintage is the messiah"? Cause I feel like that's the pre-existing argument I've tapped into here.

Oh and the last thing, I often hear that line of thinking that 303's etc. were "just what was cheap and available"... but I would imagine that the reality was that a _few_ people started using them for that reason and found out how cool they were, then other people heard that sound and wanted to do it too-- isn't that how things usually work?
Hammer Bro
I'll admit it: I'm just jealous of all the nice gear you've got D:
Boo
Wow, i turn my head for a second and some deep reply's apear here.

I do not really "need" any gear. (it sometimes just ithces to buy something, but i'm sure you all know that feeling! :-D ).

Anyways, what is said about reaktor is very true. Actually reaktor is the only thing that has really almost given me the thing i want.... i do however realise that i just need to spend more time with all my gear and should stop looking at other gear...

Mastering is one trick i don't have up my sleeve and i guess i should try and find someone that could do this for me.
Killer Beez
nver master your own shit. Ever. Trust me - unless you have the ear, the gear, and the tuned room, you are just gonna do more harm than good.
Game & Watch
Re: Perfect machinedrum companion? 18 Years, 7 Months ago
I'd say the Monomachine, the new Future Retro revolution, a DS Evolver, or some classic roland gear would be the way to go. Warmth? get some nice analog compressors and a nice analog mixer.
Go to top Post Reply