As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Perfect machinedrum companion? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Perfect machinedrum companion?
Boo
Perfect machinedrum companion? 18 Years, 9 Months ago
Hi,

I am a happy MD-UW user from Holland but i have a dillema.

My musical style is mainly techno and the Machinedrum is perfect for this style. I do however have troubles finding gear that will give me the eventual sound i am looking for.

Besides the MD i own some other gear like a yamaha Rs7000 (sequencer/sampler), Virus C, Korg ER1 (hardly used), Roland SH32 (hardly used) and some outboard fx like TC M*One, D-Two, Triple C, DBX 166XL and 266XL.

Still i don't seem to find the sound i am looking for. Techno tracks have these grainy/warm percussion like loops wich i can't really master at this time.

Does anyone have suggestions about a good companion for the Machinedrum for making Techno/Drum and bass style music?

I am planning on selling the Korg Er1 and Roland SH32 since they are becoming obsolete.

I have been thinking about a good digital synth (Yamaha FS1r, Waldorf Microwave or maybe a hybrid like the DSI Evolver). Another option is invest in some filtering or maybe even TUBE pre-amp(s) to spice up sounds.

Any comment appreciated!

Oh yeah, i own reaktor 5 too (legal).....gotta love that thing!
  The topic has been locked.
King Koopa
NoiseLab56309
MySpace
DSP Rules!!!
Re: Perfect machinedrum companion? 18 Years, 9 Months ago
Monomasschhh...
obviously the mono.. but for less $$$ you should get youself a nice analogue monosynth and sample it. call me cRAyYzZee but maybe a midi - cv/gate converter too
neonleg
Killer Beez
whats a tube preamp gonna do? Maybe some nice neve-like line amps or something to do some transformer coloration... Actually - I do a lot of recording through my Art Pro VLA - using it just as a limiter - that is a real "effecty" compressor for pretty cheap that sounds great - however, the "toobey" sound is not coming from the tubes in the circuit... and I only use it when I record into 2 channels not multitracking. Anyway...

You have so much gear in that list, perhaps you need to get rid of things you are not using and simply not replace them. Simplifying the rig will do wonders.

While the monomachine might be perfect for these sounds you are interested in - they can also easily be achieved with the Virus C! That thing is a monster with 32 voice poluphony (from what I recall). You can make 10 different percussion like sounds with that Virus - set them up in a multi bank - and sequence them from the machine drum and play a whole set with just those 2 machines!!!

Throwing money at a problem is only one solution, and its not a great one - thats my advice.
Hammer Bro
hmmm, one thing you might want to think about which could help (and is more or less free) is to spend some time improving your sampling skills. I don't know anything about where you are with your technique, but it sounds like you could use some really good samples in your tracks. tricky percussion loops can really come out great if you take time to get your sample chopped correctly then spice it up with all kinds of tasty tricks. in fact, as I type this I feel like doing some sampling myself.
King Koopa

Acidfever wrote:

I have been thinking about a good digital synth (Yamaha FS1r...

i got one of those. it's pretty mean thing but really very time-consuming to program... and not quite sure if it suits else than quite weird music (or for making karaoke playbacks as the presets sound very much like that ) very digital sound, very FM. but they are cheap if you just find one.

cheers
nop
Goomba
How about SPECTRALIS??
Goomba
Maybe a Nord Modular G2 (engine?)?

It's excellent for making sequneces and FX with and is modular, like Reaktor. 8-)
nop
Goomba
How about SPECTRALIS??
King Koopa
well, SPECTRALIS is about $2500, has an incomplete OS, and is actually pretty limited compared to something like a NORD G2 ENGINE. :-D

i say G2 as well, depending on budget (but i always say that).
Go to top Post Reply