As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear HOW TO WORK WITH IT MnM (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: HOW TO WORK WITH IT MnM
Goomba
HOW TO WORK WITH IT MnM 18 Years, 9 Months ago
hey, just received my MnM...after a week of desperate waiting.
but now, since i got it, i?m kind of confused how to work with it...it seems that everything i do the machine expects something different...

how do you work with it?

i.e. if you use the drumsounds...

do you use seperate tracks for ie bassdrum and snare etc?

if i want one step no longer be a bassdrum - to become a snarehit, every step transform into snares?

ohhh, i really dont understand the MnM at the moment, maybe its normal....
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
OT, MD-UW Mk2, SFX-60 Mk2, SFX-6
scottkellogg.com
Re: HOW TO WORK WITH IT MnM 18 Years, 9 Months ago
Do you have the keyboard or tabletop version?
Goomba
tabletop version
Admin
OT, MD-UW Mk2, SFX-60 Mk2, SFX-6
scottkellogg.com
Are you wanting to make tracks on the Mono by itself? If so, what kind of music do you want to make?
Goomba
what do ya mean with "do you want make tracks by itself"?
isn?t it meant to be that the mono-sequencer does this job?

i work with a MPC, DSI Evolver and BassStation.

Just wanted to add another sequencer, for kind of minimal/tech/electronic - stuff.

need it for live-sets...

need sequenced synth / bubbly-basslines / i like the drum sounds out of it...
Admin
...well, then the MnM will fit the bill!

i was kind've confused about how the MnM worked when i got my sfx60. this may or may not help but here's what my mind eventually had to understand:

Machines = Synthesis ie. SWave, SID, DIGIPro, FM+, VCO and FX
Tracks (1-6) = host your desired Machines and Patterns
Patterns = are the notes on or off or that 'bubbly' you're looking for

now, Kits contain all of these...Machines, Tracks, Patterns and Midi data. think of Kit's as the equivilent to the MPC's Programs.

i personally would load up a 'New Kit' on say Bank F-1 and see for yourself. starting from scratch/New Kits really helped me to learn it. i know other people find it helpful to hear the pre-existing Kits....either way, just keep hammering at it. i took me probably about 1 week or 2 to really understand how everthing was working together.

just remember that its all integrated.

Machines > Tracks > Patterns (you don't need a pattern to hear the machines though.....but Machines have to have a Track for playback)

i dunno there's probably a lot i'm leaving out...but hopefully this will help! hopefully others will chime in. just keep at it and ask ?'s when you can't figure it.

peace
actuel
Goomba
hey thanks for your quick help so far.

actually i?m asking me how the drummachine-thing works.
do i understand it right that there could be in one seq-track only one drumhit (doesnt matter which) at one time? so if you want to have i.e. a hihat-hit together with a bassdrum you have to create a different track with another drummachine?

or how does this drum-thing work?

thanks,
eentwee
Killer Beez
yeah, the kit is kind of similar to a traditional "patch" on a synth, however, its way more complicated than that. Rather than a patch, which usually contains one sound - the kit is more along the lines of a collection of patches for all of the internal and 6 midi tracks.

Lets just focus on the internal tracks:
> Basically, I usually set mine up the same way every time, and this is just one example of how (I do not even do it exactly like this):

1 - Bass
2 - Lead 1
3 - Lead 2
4 - Bbox 1
5 - Bbox 2
6 - misc (can be your reverb or effects, can be your input, can be your control track)

> Then start building your kit accordingly - make track 1 active by hitting its button on the top right, then load a machine by going into the menu for kit/song setup and selecting edit. Then tweak the synth to hell until its sounding good for you, then make a lead sound then another etc until all 6 tracks have something cool on them. Then save the kit!!!! The machine will not save anything when you jump to a new kit! Keep that in mind.

> Now you have a kit, and you can start making patterns - which are sequences consitsing of the 6 tracks.

> Then you can make more and more kits, and assign them to different patterns, or different patterns to the same kit, or whatever.

> The next thing to do is to get into the more advanced features of the equencer - like writing in parameter locks, note off data, setting up the control track - external midi - mute mode - song mode - it goes on forever!

Have fun!
King Koopa
All your base are belong to us!
I don't own a MnM myself, yet... But I tried one out at the guitar shop and I quickly realised that the tracks are monophonic. So, yes, you have answered your own question.
Killer Beez
yeah, the drums are mono but you can get many sounds on one track if you are clever

remember - its not a drum machine, if you want percussion overload, thats what the machinedrum does!
Go to top Post Reply