As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:Announcing: Ruin & Wesen MidiCommand and MonoJoystick (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Announcing: Ruin & Wesen MidiCommand and MonoJoystick
Re:Announcing: Ruin & Wesen MidiCommand and MonoJoystick 15 Years, 8 Months ago
Manuel how about selling them in kits? Have you thought of it? It might take some work of your hands and reduce the cost for the customers. Are they easy to build?How about USB powering with batteries option?
These boxes look really cool!! Congrats!!!
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
Manuel, could the Joystick spring be disengaged?
A joystick with lever return is cool, but most of the time
I'd prefer it to stay as I'd have left it.
Cappy
Morbidly self-aware and liking it.
You can mimic that function with both the SFX6 and the MonoJoystick by orienting the joystick where you want it and then changing track focus. The track will retain the joystick's last state, even when you return to the track {with the joystick centered}. I don't remember if there's a way to do this in multitrig mode - maybe by turning multitrig mode off and back on.

Is there some other reason for a joystick without center-return that I'm missing, like visual feedback?
Chain Chomp
yes i think it will be possible to have a model without lever return. I will check for the availability of the normal joystick model, and contact you people.

cheers, manuel
Goomba
basically (from the sound design POW), unless this is used for pitchbend, there's no reason for a controller to come back to a "middle" state after it's been released.
For this reason, joysticks used in audio world (in surround mixing etc.) aren't usually spring-loaded. I remember a similar discussion before the early Novation keyboards came out. Joysticks on their keyboards have some kind of a switch, disengaging the spring.
Cappy
Morbidly self-aware and liking it.
But if you change to another track, you'd be starting from that joystick's position, and would have to come up with a way to address that - a "jump", a "relative" change or changing the value when the stored value has been crossed. I'm not sure how Elektron handle it when the joystick has been returned to center, but the stored value {described in my previous post} is different. Changing the focus of the track, which is already the standard in the Monomachine and MonoJoystick, seems like a good way to satisfy everyone.

I'm not questioning your need for this, mind {and it's obviously R&w's call!}, I'm just playing devil's advocate.
Goomba
the same problem occurs with a spring-loaded joystick, whenever you change focus to another track (while holding it in a not-centered position), then do some movement on the second track, release it, and then get back to the first one.

the perfect solution to what you describe, although it is also very expensive, is a motorized joystick.

a cheaper solutions usually involve various conditional modes:
two examples (to simplify things, imagine a fader not a joystick):
1. you have to manually cross the current value before the controller takes over.
In addition to that, some consoles have LEDs indicating if your fader is above all below the current value.
2. you can use a smoothing function if the controller position and the current value mismatch.
Admin
tIB was here
drxcm wrote:
one word.. rechargeables
Eureka!!!
You're 10 years too late!
Maybe Ill get this: http://www.boingboing.net/2005/04/21/uncle-ricos-time-mac.html
...If I could just go back.

Back to topic.... Love the idea of loop recording, very TG33!

I know its probably completely out of the question but it would be really cool to have a bank of tweak loops you could record and recall at any point. Pretty sure Id work really well in this way; could do some crazy shit to a pattern recalling say 6 variations of tweak at different stages of a track.

Manuel, hope you don't mind all the ideas youre getting on here, its already a great design... My only concern is that it will end up being bigger than an sfx6 wehen youve accomodate all the (good) ideas people on here have had!
Boo
regarding the Joystick query, return to centre VS no spring,,,

I think a the spring loaded joystick that returns to centre plus a 'midi mute' button would solve the problem and make everybody happy. You tweak the joystick. Find a sweet spot and hold the joystick in position, hit & hold the mute button and release the joystick so it returns to centre - release the 'midi mute' button. Now the tweaked settings are as you want them, and the joystick is in the centre - the optimal position for further tweakage on other tracks, even the same track.

I pre ordered the joystick even though I don't have a MnM yet I gotta snap one of these up while I can!

Daswesen I hope the joystick will be easy to work with other midi gear. well,,,, enough to get useful midi into plogue/max at least!
Boo
I just had a fecking brainwave. Still with the midi mute button - but with multiple joysticks. hehe!

seriously though. spring loaded joystick in the centre with a small non-springloaded joystick on either side (or more, but I'd settle for one on either side ). If anyone has used the faderfoxes you'll know the joystick I'm referring to. They're TINY, and awesome and they don't return to centre. Would be sweet to have a few of those at your disposal permanently assigned to various CCs. ..... just like a row of fader boxes or knob boxes - usually in 8's or 16's, tiny joysticks boxes are the next evolutionary step! ..... if you aren't familiar with the faderfox joysticks get acquainted to see what I mean

just dreaming out loud here

if someone makes it happen I'll send them money via paypal
Go to top Post Reply