As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear MD tracks of different length (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: MD tracks of different length
Game & Watch
Re:MD tracks of different length 15 Years, 11 Months ago
I agree it would be monumental. Can't see it ever happening though. As others have said, peeps have been requesting it almost from the beginning and nothing has happened, so...
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
Once you go Elektron...
Theres no going backetron!

-----------------
www.geirhelgi.com
texmex wrote:
For Hageir: Arpeggiator is a special sequecer which generates note events to the actual sequencer. Think it as a sequencer inside sequencer. But it doesn't help with the track length issue I'm affraid

I wasn't referring to the arpeggiator, just the way you can choose the arp. length, it could be the same command for each track on the MD (that way you could choose how many steps)
Rew
Chain Chomp
yeah. different track lengths would make it a hell of alot easier to lay down traditional west african grooves and North Indian Tehais!!
Game & Watch
texmex wrote:
How about getting G2 and using it for sequencing such stuff? You can create sequencers of your wildest dreams

Been meaning to do this since I got my MD, I'll see if I can find time tonight, unfortunately you lose the Pattern locks, but you can always send other control data to add some extra motion.. or just use the MD's LFOs, and/or possibly the CTRL8-P over the top.
Hero of Winds
texmex wrote:
BTW not having this feature in MD is not matter of hardware limitation contrary to what Futureimage said. It's purely software issue.
Thinking about it it would be both.
Hardware would have to operate quickly enough for all tracks to run at the same time. It would be hard/expensive to do so for 16 tracks, making the MD sloppy and out of time.
Software as I said would have to be totally rewritten... 16 times... "Copy. Paste. Copy. Paste. Copy. Paste."
Kong
mr. applehead
that would be rad.
the cheapest sequencer to do this is imo the rm1x sequencer for about $150 - $200 or the bigger brother for $500 though the headaches and stop/starting make it very painful. btw this is not a recommendation but if your on a budget....
Game & Watch
ok just been messing with my MD and Nord G2 and recorded this.. not quite what i was originally thinking but it is easy to get a bit carried away with the nord and the md!

http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=419&Itemid=30

It is 4 drum sounds out of the md being controlled and sequenced by the G2. No MD lfos are used.

The kick is basic 4/4 the snare equally basic but has a semi random extra note thing added.

The other sounds are running on 14 and 15 step loops. There are also sequenced controls being sent to the MD for these sounds, the control sequences have loops of 5 and 11 steps.

Basically it all adds up to a crazy amount of movement with some very basic sounds..

TBH: I am bit disappointed with this, i think i could have done something better but i am bit strapped for time (excuse 101), so maybe i'll have another go and concentrate on rhythm rather than modficiations at a later date.

One thing is clear whether they add it as a feature or not, multiple length patterns can make for some incredibly complex music, form very basic patterns.

R.
Admin
Re:MD tracks of different length 15 Years, 10 Months ago
this g2 example got me thinking (and inspired -- so thanks!) -- anyone messed with numerology? I downloaded it last night but didn't get a chance to fire it up. it looks like the sequencer side of the g2 but in software. . . i was curious if anyone had any experience with it.

M
Cappy
Numerology is great, and extremely powerful ...I haven't used it in awhile, but you can actually clock different tracks at different tempos, etc. Since I haven't used it for so long, and only tried out the g2 briefly, I can't really comment at length, but I think that you'd find that overall Numerology is capable of a lot more.

But either one would be excellent for tracks of different lengths.

Another cheaper hardware solution is the Cyclus, though make sure you get one that has the initial midi issues fixed.

I have a mk2 uw coming in about a week or so. I also really like having different track lengths, especially for modulation. Luckily I have multiple hardware sequencers that can help me with that.
Boo
Go to top Post Reply