As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear MD tracks of different length (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: MD tracks of different length
Cappy
MD tracks of different length 15 Years, 11 Months ago
Anyone ever think about the viability of being able to set different lengths along with forward/reverse settings for each of the MD's 16 sequencer tracks?

I can't really think of a reason why this would not be a completely awesome capability.

Maybe a future software update?
  The topic has been locked.
Hero of Winds
Re:MD tracks of different length 15 Years, 11 Months ago
It would be cool... but the way I see it, electronically it would be a lot more complex. Instead of having one master counter that counts through 16/32 steps, you'd need 16 counters for each track, which obviously is a lot more than a single counter. I doubt with the current hardware in the MD this would be available in a software update, but who knows. Elektron would have to totally rewrite the clocking/counting of the tracks though.
Cappy
for setting track length on the user side....it could maybe be something as simple as adding an "all" or "(track number)" option like in the swing window
Game & Watch
Once you go Elektron...
Theres no going backetron!

-----------------
www.geirhelgi.com
it's been thought of before..
it's kind of complex like future says BUT the arpeggiator length on the monomachine is adjustable (with the level button, the LEDS just light up from step 1-16)

so they know how to do it, I guess
Hero of Winds
radam wrote:
for setting track length on the user side....it could maybe be something as simple as adding an "all" or "(track number)" option like in the swing window
But it's not just that. It's the way the actual drums themselves are clocked/triggered.
King Koopa
Sound Design and Creative Audio Manipulation in Ableton Live
http://sounddesigntutorials.com
Can this be done on the MPC 1000?
Cappy
seeing the demos of the deopfer and genoqs sequencers is just making me wish I could do this on the machinedrum. The MD really is a great sequencer and worth every penny as such, even if one were to never load up anything but midi machines. If it were able to run tracks in reverse and set different lengths, it would be just flat out be amazing. Genoqs charges $3500 for that functionality. Doepfer is fetching $975 for only 3 tracks.
Hero of Winds
If it's a really big thing for you, I guess you could start looking into modular gear, get a couple of trigger/gate sequencers and hook them up to the MD's inputs. You could use a couple of Impulse machines as trigger/clock sources for the sequencers. With two gate sequencers set at different lengths, you'd be away then...

BTW do you know about my Decade Counter?
King Koopa
How about getting G2 and using it for sequencing such stuff? You can create sequencers of your wildest dreams

BTW not having this feature in MD is not matter of hardware limitation contrary to what Futureimage said. It's purely software issue. But I can see how this would complicate everything in the MD... what would happen if you change pattern while some of the tracks would be yet to be finished? I don't think Elektron is never going to implement such feature - it's a great feature on its own I guess and some people would certainly use it but it just makes developing sequencer software A LOT more complicated. So it's not probably worth it.

For Hageir: Arpeggiator is a special sequecer which generates note events to the actual sequencer. Think it as a sequencer inside sequencer. But it doesn't help with the track length issue I'm affraid
Admin
on the Elektron feature wishlist i asked for variable track lengths long ago. per the norm i got the "i'll add it to the list".

i didn't realize the power of variable track lengths untill i start messing with MLR, monome software. here's to still wishing!
Go to top Post Reply