As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Monomachine Arpeggiator, Multi trig, and other questions (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Monomachine Arpeggiator, Multi trig, and other questions
Killer Beez
Monomachine Arpeggiator, Multi trig, and other questions 18 Years, 10 Months ago
so, who here uses their arpeggiator often?

I have been playing around with mine and I notice that there is no real "Note Off" for the thing - when you enter in a little apreggio that is not intended to last the entire length of the sequence, the thing keeps chugging on. Is this just how it is? Do I need to just control it with parameter locks?

Also, do people use multitrig mode? I am still not entirely sure what that is - I am coming from the MD OS, and have just kinda been using my monomachine like I do the MD - but last night I was looking through the manual and I feel like there are secrets yet to be discovered on this thing.

Lastly, why does it require so much tinkering with the amp to get stacato notes out of the mono? Does anyone else find that they play one thing with the keyboard, and when the sequence plays back they need to tweak the hell out of the envelope in order to hear what they just played back the same way?

Somebody please enlighten me as to the quirkiness of this machine :-D
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
OT, MD-UW Mk2, SFX-60 Mk2, SFX-6
scottkellogg.com
Re: Monomachine Arpeggiator, Multi trig, and other questions 18 Years, 10 Months ago
For the arp, I've been programming a Note trig with Vol set to zero where I want the arp to stop sounding.

For multitrig mode, I use that primarily with the joystick, assigning parameters that make sense when they affect all tracks at the same time. For example, I might have tracks 1 - 3 get quiet and LPQish when the stick is up while tracks 4 - 6 get loud. Then reverse that for the stick in the down position. You can do similar things with left and right, then blend between them on the diagonals. I am going to get into Multimap soon, and map all my patterns to keyboard keys for on the fly arrangment and breakbeat madness.

I use staccato notes all the time on my SFX-6, but I do remember that playing notes into the SFX-60 from the trig keys sometimes didn't play back like I thought it would. Maybe you can play stuff in with an external keyboard and see it if makes a difference. I just set DEC really low, and the notes sound great.
Killer Beez
Re: Monomachine Arpeggiator, Multi trig, and other questions 18 Years, 10 Months ago
ahhh, I see.

So, the multi-trig is not entirely unsimilar to holding function on the MD and tweaking a knob - but you can assign things to a CC - or certain things to several CC's?

Thats a good solution for the arp and staccato notes - but still, to me it seems weird. I mean, if you are playing along with the sequencer figuring out a part before you record it - and then finally print it - shouldn't the thing sound exactly like what you just played into the seq? And I still think there should be a note off for the arp - I mean, when you let go of the keys a note off message is sent - why not when using the arpeggio?
Admin
scottkellogg.com
I don't have an MD, so I'll take your word for it

The nice thing about the 6 is that you can have the stick either affect all tracks at once (multitrig) or each track individually.

I agree that Note Off ought to stop the arpeggio from sounding. Maybe there is already a good way to do this that we are overlooking.
Killer Beez
well if there is, the manual mentions nothing. Is it a bug? I mean, any other sequencer I have used usually handles the arpeggiator as like a chord - and note off meand note off, not dangle on the last bit of input until the thing cycles through. Its really odd behaviour - however, its an elektron product so it may be just one of the things that they set out to make unique. I mean, sometimes its nice to have the arp tinkling along the entire time - but its nite to use it more as a spice than a meat if you follow.

I have the 60 - so I usually use a modwheel type keyboard as a controller - however, I have an oxy 8 and maybe I can make a template for it so do some overall filtering - that would be sweet. I have been digging the HPF lately, and I would like to make it more of a global thing as could be done with the MD. I mean, on the MD if you want to make everything go up in pitch for example - just hold function and turn the pitch up and it affects everything - its especially sweet when using retrig - cause just the RAM based machines you are using will retrig - nice to get those snare rolls or death metal kick drum effects. I really wish the mono had something like it - but perhaps it does.

You know, its friggin amazing how much depth these 2 machines have. Every day it seems like I find out something entirely new about them - its thrilling to be able to use them at all - and one day I hope to be the master rather than the servant :-P
I have noticed the same thing when playing back a sequence of notes. They always end up having a different lenght when played back.

It is very frustrating.

Any ideas how I can sidestep this irritating thing happening?
Admin
scottkellogg.com
Milk -> Maybe you could email Elektron support and see what they say about it. Curious minds want to know.
Killer Beez
yeah, I suppose I could do that - maybe daniel can chime in on this if he is lurking????

If no one else gives any insight I will email the company
Admin
scottkellogg.com
Naah, email now so you get a reply in the near future In the meantime, we can try and solve the problem here. IIRC, Erase gets the support mail.
I assume you understand that note off-trigs are set with function+trig button? And that they are yellow?

And that the sequencer does not record note-off real time? (The grid edit does not allow for enough resolution for recording note off and making any use off them).

That's why you have the Hold parameter. That one together with Decay makes sense in a sequencer where Note off's aren't programmed.

The arpeggiator have many different modes, some which turn off after note-off and others that don't. Make sure understanding the concepts (and read the manual) before defining bugs... Not that there is impossible there could be one, the Monomachine has almost infinite layers of pitches and sequencers on sequencers on sequencers (arp, seq, multi trig, joy, detune etc). It's all quite ambitios I'd say!
Go to top Post Reply