As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Lounge #1 Elektron fanboy (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: #1 Elektron fanboy
Re: #1 Elektron fanboy 17 Years, 10 Months ago

b0unce wrote:
isnt that the new all-tube metasonix synth I see in the pic ?
how do you like it ? how much did it cost & have you got any demos ?!?

that would be one in the same - I designed the front panel and am helping to write the manual, so I have prototype #1 in the studio (as of right now my time and effort is paying for the synth)

sound examples I've done are all up on the product page on metasonix.com - I'm also using it to track with for the next wretch album

like it? I love it, but readily admit it's a tough child to love - tuning stability is a little wonky but usable, but otherwise it's a freakin monster. I bought a TM-3 to integrate into my "regular" modular to do even more tube synth production.
  The topic has been locked.

dirge wrote:
cool! i've been wondering how the endmusik studio has changed since the MEK/ wretch/ horde of other things came in.

yeah, it's changed a bit, not to mention the bedroom component of the studio got moved to another room, so the whole room is nuttin but gear now

the mek is fantastic - wrote a review of it on musicplayers.com - http://musicplayers.com/reviews/keyboard/2006/0706_DaveSmithInstrumentsMEK.php

only gear lust I have right now is for a custom baritone guitar I ordered two months ago which should be here this month... from http://www.electricalguitarcompany.com
Game & Watch

endmusik wrote:
[img align=right]http://static.flickr.com/67/162745762_e77acf5bbc.jpg[/img]

more shots of the full studio here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45404462@N00/sets/72057594114265489/

wheeee!

not in the picture: recently added a busted old Farfisa Compact Deluxe... and a Metasonix TM-5 and TM-3....

Hands down, the best studio posted here....as usual.
Game & Watch

endmusik wrote:
I bought a TM-3 to integrate into my "regular" modular to do even more tube synth production.

How do you like it? That is one I have always wanted. Actually...I already know your response. You are the #1 Elektron Fanboy and the #1 Metasonix Fanboy...

when are you going stereo with your Metasonix effects?

jsrockit wrote:

endmusik wrote:
I bought a TM-3 to integrate into my "regular" modular to do even more tube synth production.

How do you like it? That is one I have always wanted. Actually...I already know your response. You are the #1 Elektron Fanboy and the #1 Metasonix Fanboy...

when are you going stereo with your Metasonix effects?

I regrettably have hardly done much patching with it - the TM-5 has been heavily abused over the past few weeks (I've been doing alot of guitar tracking)

As for fanboy - yeah, I guess fanboy is a good word, but I've been working with the metasonix stuff for a while now and it just "fits" me Elektron too! I'm happy to call a spade a spade though - the metasonix stuff is really kind of hard to like, it needs to fill a certain area of sound whenever it's used and the tone and unpredictability aren't for everyone. Metasonix is circuitbending with old technology and there's a "vibe" to it that I love.

Stereo is for pussies . It's all about dual mono seriously. If I need something in stereo, I record it twice - taking full advantage of both channels! It's twice the fun of recording stereo once!

I saw you sold on a TM-6, what didn't you like about it? I nabbed the one metasonix used at the NAMM show, and it's one of my favorite filterboxes, really really nice stuff

/michael

endmusik wrote:

the metasonix stuff is really kind of hard to like, it needs to fill a certain area of sound whenever it's used and the tone and unpredictability aren't for everyone. Metasonix is circuitbending with old technology and there's a "vibe" to it that I love.

my interest is mainly for taking samples, and digitaly manipulating the samples further if needs be/or to taste.

There's no comparison between the results of actual electrons passing through circuits & tubes etc, and contrived algorhithms simulating the same thing. Take a 1 second sample of a quality distortion pedal, get it to the digital domain via a decent ad/da , and edit. I think you could love even the ugliest baby if you work like that...well I could anyways.

However...I WAS going to buy a couple pedals at the same time- next time I get a cash injection - perhaps I'll just pick one up at a time, to take your advice.

endmusik wrote:

Stereo is for pussies . It's all about dual mono seriously. If I need something in stereo, I record it twice - taking full advantage of both channels!

Yep....I could have two of the same mono effect, or two different ones....I'm too much of a slut to make a practical choice

Going back to the frostwave alienator for a minute....its categorically the best downsampler I've ever heard....no vst equivilant I've ever tried even comes close....but I havent used them all.

Want to try a really rubbish downsampler? check out the one included in ableton live

endmusik wrote:
sound examples I've done are all up on the product page on metasonix.com - I'm also using it to track with for the next wretch album

like it? I love it, but readily admit it's a tough child to love - tuning stability is a little wonky but usable, but otherwise it's a freakin monster.

HOLY SHIT :-o

those tracks are the shit-bomb-banana.
you're the man.

RE: tuning
so whats the story when it goes out of tune, whats the best way to retune it ? by ear ?...I'm no technician...

Man, I've got to get one of those...how limited is the production on these things ?
Yoshi

jsrockit wrote:

How is the Akai synth?

that s an akai vx600: pretty rare analog 6 voice synth with 2 osc's per voice and advanced mod matrix

i haven't used it for a while 'cause i wasn't convinced by the thin filters at first, not anything like a fat moog analog. but i pulled it out again after moving houses and i m starting to enjoy it. there s some weird bleeps in there! it sounds quite harsh, which is a good thing in a lot of my music.
tuning with it isn't bad - each time you change the oscillator range it goes off by a bit, but can be adjusted with the master tune knob.

Also, as it's hz/v not v/oct it's tough to find a converter - I have a future retro mobius to handle conversion duty but I need to calibrate it as it doesn't play too nice with the s1000.... I actually use the sequencer from my modular to send continuous voltage changes in most instances for atonal sequenced chaos

tuned music is not the easiest thing to do with it - it can be done, but you'd best be ready to work a bit for it. For pure sound design and amazingly otherworldly and almost downright "ancient" sounding synthetic sounds and pitch sequences, it will make your mind explode!

they aren't limited - this is a production machine, I'm pretty sure he'll keep making them as long as people order them. From what I hear a good chunk of the first batch is preordered, and he's working his tail off getting them built
Game & Watch

endmusik wrote:

Stereo is for pussies . It's all about dual mono seriously. If I need something in stereo, I record it twice - taking full advantage of both channels! It's twice the fun of recording stereo once!

I saw you sold on a TM-6, what didn't you like about it? I nabbed the one metasonix used at the NAMM show, and it's one of my favorite filterboxes, really really nice stuff

/michael

That's a cool way to look at stereo... I may have to try that out. Yeah, I sold the TM-6... mostly because I needed money to fund something else and it was something I wasn't using often. I don't use external filters that often I guess...and when I do, I'm not that picky as to which one I use. I'll just run whatever through my MFB SYnth II or the MEK. I know it isn't the same...but I'm not that picky.
Go to top Post Reply