As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox Creative uses for pattern offset in song mode (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Creative uses for pattern offset in song mode
King Koopa
Sound Design and Creative Audio Manipulation in Ableton Live
http://sounddesigntutorials.com
Creative uses for pattern offset in song mode 15 Years, 11 Months ago
This may have been discussed on the list already, but it's a fun realization nonetheless.

The most obvious use for the offset parameter is to loop certain portions of patterns without playing them in their entirety. Yesterday, I got lazy for a second and wanted to go back to the old way of sequencing in Live, and then I realized that getting away from the computer was a big part of getting the MD in the first place. I went back to the MD with renewed passion for sequencing in song mode rather than relying on the software.

I needed a way to figure out how to do interesting edits and cuts in the MD similar to how I do it in Live because the music I am putting together depends on the ability to stitch together different edits of already-existing patterns. It then dawned on me that pattern offset was the key to all of this. Once I had enough patterns together to provide material for a fleshed out track, I then started creating a couple of patterns that were simply triggering a RAM machine recording (transferred into ROM) of the basic loop of my track. Each of the triggers is of course using dramatically different parameter locks on things like start position, retrig, effects control machines, etc.

Now when I go to song mode to put the track together and I want a crazy edit to come in like a reverse or something, I just play the pattern(s) that contains my edits, offset position set to whatever edit I want, and let it run. I have gotten to the point where this is MUCH faster than when I work in software. It keeps the workflow efficient and more fun. I don't know how many tracks I lost to working on them for too long and losing the enjoyment. Hopefully the MD will cut down on this.

Another related tip: In the same way that you can reference edits with offset position, you can also fill a pattern with a melodic instrument being triggered at different pitches, decays, etc. That way you can even write your melodies in song mode, again using the offset marker. Just a thought.

I realized that there is a good chance someone who has been on the forum longer than me will see this and then point me to a recent thread going over exactly the same thing. However, on the off-chance this is a new topic, I hope it is useful.

- Nick
  The topic has been locked.
Killer Beez
monomachine mk2, Analog 4, boss dr110
Re:Creative uses for pattern offset in song mode 15 Years, 11 Months ago
You are in full MD discovery mode

Thanks for the tips.

Every other week I still find something fresh and interesting......

For instance a while back I found that you can produce a load of interesting patterns with offsets linked to short 3-4 step patterns, ram machine and rom ctral cranked up in patterns, and the kit switching trick along with classic and extended lock ups. Random noises seem to bellow out some which, of course, can be sampled in ableton and then sent back into the MD. Mind your ears thou

Happy hunting.
King Koopa
Sound Design and Creative Audio Manipulation in Ableton Live
http://sounddesigntutorials.com
Re:Creative uses for pattern offset in song mode 15 Years, 11 Months ago
Nice! I'll have to try out some of the stuff you mentioned. I have really been enjoying using Live alongside the MD as well.

- Nick
Go to top Post Reply