As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox MD Rhythm Echo beat repeat using CTR-RE and parameter locks (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: MD Rhythm Echo beat repeat using CTR-RE and parameter locks
Hero of Winds
MD Rhythm Echo beat repeat using CTR-RE and parameter locks 16 Years, 1 Month ago
Hi,

Ok, ever since the CTR-FX machines came out, one of my favourite things to replicate with the Machinedrum is Ableton Live's Beat Repeat effect. For those of you who haven't used Live, Beat Repeat does exactly what it says on the tin, it snatches a section of audio and stutters it. You can do this easily with the Rhythm Echo thanks to the CTR machine.

It's fairly obvious how to do it, but here's a little guide:
1. Set up a CTR-RE machine in your kit.
2. Set all the steps you want "muted" (as in not to stutter/repeat) by locking the FB and LEV parameters to 0.
3. Likewise set the steps you do want to repeat by locking FB to 64 and LEV to 127. (Note that you only have to do either one of step 2 and 3, I usually go with step 2 so then I can fully adjust what is repeating)
4. Route the parts you want to repeat by setting their DELAY send parameter to 127.
5. You can now tweak away with the CTR-RE parameters to totally screw around with your beats. I use it a lot with inputs. Using the MOD is interesting, really weird time warping stuff. You can use the filter just like in Ableton Live. It's a great little trick IMO.

Hope that helps a few people!
Future Image
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
Re:MD Rhythm Echo beat repeat using CTR-RE and parameter locks 16 Years, 1 Month ago
thanks for taking the time to create this, future!

M

Last Edit: 2008/03/30 05:37
Admin
Re:MD Rhythm Echo beat repeat using CTR-RE and parameter locks 16 Years, 1 Month ago
Was just going to ask you how to. Thanks!
You know, to me this is like an Elektron Easter egg. I mean, they put an entire Roland Space Echo in the MachineDrum! How'd they do it?

I'm getting the most amazing dirty dub delays. This trick led me to play with the feedback and level settings; I had never p-locked them before.

Feedback can go on forever!
Game & Watch
So sick! Big Up!
Boo
I love the fact you can param-lock the delays now, but my ears quickly get tired of the sound of the delay. It's definitely got a weird quality - very thin, smooth and dirty at the same time. It'd be great if you could route the FX to an external mixer for processing and eq'ing.

I just thought of a way: route the stereo outs as normal to a mixer. Also route all drum sounds to external outputs and to a mixer, thus bypassing the MD's Master FX. Set up an aux send on the mixer that is directed to the MD's inputs. Feed whatever level of signal you like to the effects by adjusting the aux send level.

Not groundbreaking, but it does mean you can control the sound of the effects separately. Then again, I haven't fully thought through what you might lose by using the external outputs on the machines.

Last Edit: 2008/03/30 23:44 Reason: clarity!
Great technique! This is so much tougher to do on the MD than on the Mono - thanks for finding the way.
Yoshi
thanks for this future, really looking forward to trying it out!
Game & Watch
futureimage wrote:
Hi,

Ok, ever since the CTR-FX machines came out, one of my favourite things to replicate with the Machinedrum is Ableton Live's Beat Repeat effect. For those of you who haven't used Live, Beat Repeat does exactly what it says on the tin, it snatches a section of audio and stutters it. You can do this easily with the Rhythm Echo thanks to the CTR machine.

It's fairly obvious how to do it, but here's a little guide:
1. Set up a CTR-RE machine in your kit.
2. Set all the steps you want "muted" (as in not to stutter/repeat) by locking the FB and LEV parameters to 0.
3. Likewise set the steps you do want to repeat by locking FB to 64 and LEV to 127. (Note that you only have to do either one of step 2 and 3, I usually go with step 2 so then I can fully adjust what is repeating)
4. Route the parts you want to repeat by setting their DELAY send parameter to 127.
5. You can now tweak away with the CTR-RE parameters to totally screw around with your beats. I use it a lot with inputs. Using the MOD is interesting, really weird time warping stuff. You can use the filter just like in Ableton Live. It's a great little trick IMO.

Hope that helps a few people!
Future Image

I think I have an english understanding limitation, but I don´t get it...I lost at the time you wrote

(Note that you only have to do either one of step 2 and 3, I usually go with step 2 so then I can fully adjust what is repeating)

or maybe is a IC limitation...

anyway can you explain the procedure again, brain?...sorry

Last Edit: 2008/03/31 12:38
great tip! thank you. i found that going into the individual machines and p-locking the delay send and panning is a lot of fun after you set up the beat repeat.
Go to top Post Reply