As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear MD vs MnM interface (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: MD vs MnM interface
Re: MD vs MnM interface 18 Years, 11 Months ago

cchocjr wrote:
... Then again, 32 note resolution adheres to the ethos of the machine as a whole--old school funcionality (i.e. ease of use, not too many needless feature that only get in the way of creativity, etc.)...

well well, the good old 808 i capable of 64 sixteenths per pattern...

ok, but that's all about it!
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
btw: after two days of MnM "training" I must carefully admit that I like the MnM-Ui a bit more. It feels even more comfortable.
Killer Beez

cchocjr wrote:
I agree that there are workarounds, but 64 note resolution would be nice--that, and/or the ability to string 4 patterns together. This is a pointless comment, however, as the user interface pretty much has things locked as they are.

Yes the UI is locked to 2 bars patterns. However we can chain patterns, like 2 bars patterns to make one 64 note pattern. I would love to use this, IF the pattern in records mode woudn't change _all the time_ while it's playing. It would be superdupercool if we could somehow decide to edit for example chains second pattern _and stay there_ while the MD plays. The we could release the locking and switch to another pattern. This way the UI would stay same, but we could do 64 note patterns and stuff. It would be perfect.
Killer Beez

Tobi wrote:
btw: after two days of MnM "training" I must carefully admit that I like the MnM-Ui a bit more. It feels even more comfortable.

I'm leaning towards MD. One thing what I miss in MnM is the big rotary knob. Using level knob for the same thing in song edit just isn't the same.

In MD I would like the kit/song button to work same way as in MnM; when you are editing the song it brings song-menu. When editing the kit, it brings kit-menu. I always mix this up while doing the edits on both machine.
I prefer the way the kit menu works in the MD. when I write songs (in song mode) in the MnM, I'll play them several times over as I edit them. while they're playing, I'll tweak the machines and work on how I want realtime parameter development to work as I'm deciding on the next song mode edit to make. well then after the song's done playing, I'm left in song mode with a tweaked-to-hell kit. so I have to back out of the song menu in order to reload the kit (where it should start when the song starts). in other words, the MD allows you to reload the kit from song mode (or mid-song if you want to); the MnM does not.
King Koopa
further comparison (man i love this ):

1) what i really find useful in MNM is that you can mute tracks not only in the mute mode but by pressing the track button while holding function - in MD this selects the pressed drumtrack (which is a very useful funtion too!). but if you're not performing live or just jamming, it could be nice to be able to mute a drum without going to a mute mode, just as in MNM... (in both synths the [mute] text box is positioned reallly stupid ocer the parameters... :-? )

2) in MD when you press a pattern select [a-h] the selectable patterns stay lit for a sec or two so that you can change from pattern to an other with just one hand - i wonder why this can't be done with MNM... or am i wrong with this?

cheers
Cappy
right - the pattern-switching-timeout is missing in the MnM, I found it really useful in the MD too. A faster switch to Midi-tracks would have been nice too but I can't imagine any way this could be done, beneath function + part but thats used by the (very useful) mute feature...
King Koopa
MD keeps surprising me - i didn't know that you're able to use the inputs to trig drums with normal pads/piezotriggers. nice! big up elektron
Killer Beez
can you use those trigger inputs to send midi out as well? Anyone tried this?
King Koopa
i suppose it could work, need to try that!
Go to top Post Reply