As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear MD vs MnM interface (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: MD vs MnM interface
Chain Chomp
Re: MD vs MnM interface 18 Years, 11 Months ago
In terms of the MD's E12 machine and the MNM's Digipro Beatbox, there is some overlap, but significant difference. You get a lot more parameters in the MD to tweak. In the MNM, there are many more sounds, at least many more variations and a few more sounds that aren't in the MD (finger snaps, etc.).

I feel the same way about the MNM, but that's because I started out with the MD. Interesting.

For hi hats, I use either the EFM or E12 (usually EFM HH) hi-hats, with DEC down a good bit, DIST up, and the 1-band EQ emphasizing a higher frequency. I like very 'clicky' hi-hats ala industrial music.

cchocjr
  The topic has been locked.
King Koopa

daniel wrote:
The drums are completely different in the BeatBox and the E12. No sample is reused from the E12 to the BeatBox at all. Also, the E12 is much more complex, interleaving several samples based on parameter settings etc, whereas the Beatbox is just short full-on samples.

Especially the BeatBox drums need some work with the track effects to make them sound unique.

I guess it doesn't matter that I say I love short snappy samples like those in the Mono BeatBox, since I designed it. I guess I've just had enough of giga-multi-samples...

ok, need to explore it more anyway...

i love shor snappy samples too, wouldn't expect too hifi thing, actually i'd like the sound selection VERY ghetto and beatbox is not quite naughty..
but hey, there is the user wave now!

cheers
King Koopa

cchocjr wrote:
I feel the same way about the MNM, but that's because I started out with the MD. Interesting.

cchocjr

i think it is mostly due that accessing KIT editing is totally on the other side of the machines, and the value editing also happens on different sides of the LCD screen.

cheers
Cappy
Hehe, I've got the same problems but I bought the Machinedrum first. I own the MnM since yesterday evening and I already love it, just have to get accustomed to the interface.
King Koopa
yes, i think i'm starting to love MD too

(why on earth the pattern scale doesn't exceed to 64 steps?!?! big miss! )
Yoshi

Tobi wrote:
Hehe, I've got the same problems but I bought the Machinedrum first. I own the MnM since yesterday evening and I already love it, just have to get accustomed to the interface.

snappy hats? try filter (Q), EQ boosting, SRR & distortion !

i also love the noise machine (GND-NS) for making really dirty, noisy hats
Killer Beez

Mesak wrote:
yes, i think i'm starting to love MD too

(why on earth the pattern scale doesn't exceed to 64 steps?!?! big miss! )

just make a song consisting of 2 patterns, and have it switch back and forth.
or in patt mode hold func and pres two pattern buttons
Chain Chomp
I agree that there are workarounds, but 64 note resolution would be nice--that, and/or the ability to string 4 patterns together. This is a pointless comment, however, as the user interface pretty much has things locked as they are. Then again, 32 note resolution adheres to the ethos of the machine as a whole--old school funcionality (i.e. ease of use, not too many needless feature that only get in the way of creativity, etc.) and powerful synthesis capabilities. At least that's my take on it without putting too much thought into it.

cchocjr

P.S. I'm going to play with the PI machine for the first time. Pathetic, isn't it? I've really only used the E12, and TRX kits in the year and a half I've had the MD. I've only just started using EFM for it's HH. Oh well, I guess that's a testament to the MD's depth.

cchocjr wrote: I've only just started using EFM for it's HH. Oh well, I guess that's a testament to the MD's depth.
heh....yeah, I don't think I ever use the EFM HH's for hat sounds. that's usually my go-to machine for synthesis sounds.

I don't know what magic they pulled out of their hats for the EFM machines, but they are pure fucking genius! I hope that if there's an SPS-2 in the future, we see more EFM machines....
Go to top Post Reply