As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Lounge Gear List Thread (you knew it was coming) v.2 (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Gear List Thread (you knew it was coming) v.2
Game & Watch
Re:Gear List Thread (you knew it was coming) v.2 15 Years, 11 Months ago
Nils wrote:
ignatius wrote:
API 2500 stereo compressor
modcan/cyndustries modular

Wow, and I thought I had a lot of gear

Ignatius: What do you think of the API compressor? I'm looking for a serious compressor these days, can you recommend the API?

I used the API 2500 a lot in a studio I used to work at, Nils. It is fantastic, imo. Very versatile. High quality like everything else API makes. It's awesome on the mix buss, but also on any stereo source. It can be very transparent, really nice. But it can also slam with the different thrust settings. Can't go wrong with it, imo.

I'd rather have my stereo Distressors, but my next choice would be the 2500.
  The topic has been locked.
Killer Beez
The home of Future BASF
http://soundcloud.com/ookpikk
actuel wrote:
ThinkTanx wrote:
Sounds dope. You digging the T-Resonator??

i fcking love this thing. it's the best thing i have bought since my first Elektron box. perfect companion to the MD/MnM. really warms up the bottom-end. it can do far out shit but i'm more about subtlety. no lie though, that interface takes a minute. i was clueless for days, so i was just tweaking to see what results i could get. now things are clicking.

maybe not for everyone but it's not going anywhere.

I had the M-Res and ultimately got tired of it, I think the lack of modulation options really limited the box. Also, the filter design is one which robs the passband at high resonance (unless you used the +ve feedback, which gives different results).
I'm keen to hear what the concept would sound like in more fully fleshed out form, w/ LFO and delay.
Nils wrote:
ignatius wrote:
API 2500 stereo compressor
modcan/cyndustries modular

Ignatius: What do you think of the API compressor? I'm looking for a serious compressor these days, can you recommend the API?

And the modular: I'd be interested to know the layout and how you're using it

the API is amazing. anything put through it sounds better even w/o any compression going on. it's one of those kinds of boxes. I got it used from vintage king.. it's practically new though.. still had the tags on it!.. but yeah.. it can be very very transparent and it's easy to dial in a just a little compression and let the api op amp do it's thing (which is brilliant). it is great on any stereo source. i've used on a drum mix and i route the 2 mix through it after the dbox for summing. sounds really great. you can use it on mono sources as well but you can't do dual mono. it sounds great on acidy basses and everything really. it's quite versatile. you can really squash stuff and make things really colored if you that's what you're after. i highly recommend the API2500. you just cannot go wrong with it. i bought it on a recommendation from a friend who is a mastering engineer. i had never used on before.. i'd used some manley stuff and some 1176's and distressors all of which is great but this thing is just absolutely perfect.

modular: i use it for everything. some of the standard basic modules are just amazing. the phase/timbre mod module is one of my favs... best distortion ever for drums and really fattens up any synth sound w/o sounding gimmicky or crushed and you can dial in the amount of processing you like adn get CV control over it. i filter a lot of things through it and also route LFO's out to other things and also just jam w/it and record everything i do then edit and make sampler instruments in kontakt or live or logic or just general sample fodder or loops.

synthesis w/a modular is something everyone should experience at some point. the oscillators in the modcan are awesome and bruce is making digital VCO's w/lot's of different waveforms and he's also making looping multi lfo's and envelopes w/many waveshapes.

my system is pretty well balanced between synthesis and processing. i have a handful of oscilaltors and filters/envelopes/lfo's and a handful of processing modules like the analog flanger, sawtooth animator etc.

i use it a lot for fm type stuff because it just gets weird fast. it's great to make growling basses and unison type sounds and just all sorts of modulated mayhem.

Nils wrote:

there's longer gear lists here which i'm glad of. i hate being the only total gearslut but i can honestly say that it all gets used to actually make music and most of it i've had for quite a while.
I love lists

Monomachine
Machinedrum UW
Prophet 08
Moog Voyager RME
MEK
FR Revolution
Adrenalinn 3
Midines via famicom
Korg DS-01 (beta bitches)

Digi 002
Imac
Live 7
Motu Ethno

I'm considering flipping the Prophet 08 and MEK for a PEK and P8 module down the line....
I will be def picking up the Linndrum 2 analog.
I'd also like to get a Nord Wave (but it's out of my reach for now)
megawatt wrote:

i was curious about the nordwave and went looking for info. didn't find much that got me excited and everywhere i went it seemed people were saying "go w/a roland Vsynth GT instead" which wasn't totally unexpected . i'm not entirely sure what the hang up is on the nordwave..perhaps it's the price vs performance (only 2 slots that share fx)?

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=nordwave&t=24004

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-24176.html
Game & Watch
megawatt wrote:

Korg DS-01 (beta bitches)

DS-10? fuck
ignatius wrote:
megawatt wrote:

i was curious about the nordwave and went looking for info. didn't find much that got me excited and everywhere i went it seemed people were saying "go w/a roland Vsynth GT instead" which wasn't totally unexpected . i'm not entirely sure what the hang up is on the nordwave..perhaps it's the price vs performance (only 2 slots that share fx)?

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=nordwave&t=24004

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-24176.html

I need to hear it first... though even the guitar center in New York City doesn't have one in stock (or even know what it is) - it's very expensive. I've not heard a demo online that wasn't colored by bad compression and there is a grating frequency that bugs me out in a bad way. I need to hear it in the flesh to make sure before I really decide.

I like simple instruments that do a few things very well. The nord offers enough for me combined with other gear (monomachine as sequencer?). I'd basically be loading a lot of my own samples and slices. It's just so expensive I'd need to get rid of gear. I'm sort of at a place in my life where I like to keep things minimal and I'm already feeling a bit redundant. (does one man need 3 monos plus a monomachine? ) - but I also really like all my gear now.

I know I love Dave Smith instruments and Elektron gear. for Bass the moog has such a classic sound and beautiful craftsmanship that it will be with me for a long time. I like synths that you can add on to down the road... I like that I can build on to like the DSI gear and Voyager. I just bought actuel's MEK and hope It's as good and different from the P08 as I remember. Turns out I use polyphony for most things as I jam but the p08 will be cool for most of those needs... The evolver always struck me a as loop machine and the MEK was just the programmer rather than a performance synth - but that's just how I use it. I also plan on using it for FX for the P08!

the revolution is a keeper as well - I alsways love running a bit of acid through most of my songs and the sequencer is so much fun to jam with. It makes a great replacement for typical guitar lines.

I dig clavia synths so know that I may like the Wave- I'va also had a v-synth xt that I sold to fund a computer but would consider that again too considering the price in place of the Wave. I'm intrigued most by the Nord's UI as it looks like fun and is the subtractive model makes sense to me. The Vsynth GT is awesome - but I'm shallow and hate the esthetic of the synth - it too big and the trance (touch) pads and laser beams are goofy.

@ jsrocket
The korg magic is a blessing from synth gods. It's just around the corner and it's full of happiness. Enjoy life. Enjoy!
Game & Watch
Hey Megawatt, what are your favorite bits about the Adrenalinn??
ThinkTanx wrote:
Hey Megawatt, what are your favorite bits about the Adrenalinn??

I bought the Adrenalinn as a taster box before the Linndrum 2 analog drops... so far it's a keeper as I will use it for FX for monos and my bass guitar.

It's an awesome FX box and drum module. The drums are soooo simple - no tuning or anything but you can feed them into fx for variety in tone. They are such good sounding samples with tons of punch that I'm not finding I need a lot of variety as they compliment the MDUW well - classics are classics. It's easy to trigger them from the MD or to run the preset beats (with sounds changed and certain track muted) for some ancillary beats.

The FX are great - I use it as a front end for the FR revolution and it greatly widens the sonic pallet. I find I get a better sound going from an instrument directly rather than out the FX bus from my mixer but the differences are subtle.

The adrenallin is very well built and very easy to use. The matrix is very clever and I love the fact that Roger has continued to upgrade it. I think that bodes well for the linndrum too...

It's a bit expensive for a pedal but I think it was well worth it considering what you get... you can get some good demos from the Roger linn site.
Goomba
Hi!!

classic MD
mpc 2500

Doepfer 6hu suitcase w/ lots of plan b stuff
dsi evolver desktop
midibox 8 voice sid synth
sk-1
lsdj
oberheim cyclone arp

Mackie 1642 vlz3
moogerfooger phaser
electro harmonix memory man w/ cv mods
kp3

macbook pro w/ live, logic, max/ msp, wave editor and good plugins.
motu ultralite
event asp8
kenton killamix mini
novation remote le 25

bass (electric and upright)
guitar
rhodes
drums/ percussion/ noisemakers
turntables + rekeds.

Want:

a 500 series lunchbox w/ some nice pres, eqs an compressors!
Go to top Post Reply