As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Lounge Gear List Thread (you knew it was coming) v.2 (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Gear List Thread (you knew it was coming) v.2
Game & Watch
Re:Gear List Thread (you knew it was coming) v.2 16 Years ago
actuel wrote:
jsrockit wrote:
I sure would love to hear that T-res...

its coming my friend. work has been the absolute worst this week. like, i'm now looking for a new job. i have already recorded a few examples but need more time. promise it's coming. most likely Sunday.

Don't stress it...I'm horrible at finding time to make demos, so I understand completely.
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
Ensoniq ASR-X
Hartmann Neuron
Machinedrum non UW
Roland SPD-S
Heathkit Audio Generator

Macbook Pro
G4 Tower
G4 Powerbook

Boss SE-70
Alesis Wedge
Lovetone Meatball
Lovetone Wobulator

Novation ReMOTE 25
Novation ReMOTE 25 SL

TC Electronic Konnekt Live

Behringer Eurorack MX 2642A
Behringer Eurorack MX 802A

Nintendo DS Lite
Sony PSP
Nintendo Wiimote
Rock Band Drumkit
Guitar Hero III Guitar Controller

Ableton Live
Logic Pro 7
Traktor 3

coming soon Monome 40h and MOTU Ultralite

coming much later Virus Snow, Tenori-On

sold and still missing Virus C, Nord Micro Modular, Yamaha FS1R, Yamaha RS-7000
Game & Watch
Nils wrote:
ThinkTanx wrote:

I used the API 2500 a lot in a studio I used to work at, Nils. It is fantastic, imo. Very versatile. High quality like everything else API makes. It's awesome on the mix buss, but also on any stereo source. It can be very transparent, really nice. But it can also slam with the different thrust settings. Can't go wrong with it, imo.

I'd rather have my stereo Distressors, but my next choice would be the 2500.

Well now I really want one, hehe. What do you prefer about the distressors?

In short, I just love their major versatility and they sound phenomenal, imo. They can emulate so many of the classic comps, everything from colored to transparent, opto, tube, whatever. You have the harmonic generator modes (2nd or 3rd order), built-in sidechain, and the crazy Nuke ratio. Brilliant, brilliant piece of gear. There's a reason you will find at least two in every single major studio in the world.
Admin
ThinkTanx wrote:
In short, I just love their major versatility and they sound phenomenal, imo. They can emulate so many of the classic comps, everything from colored to transparent, opto, tube, whatever. You have the harmonic generator modes (2nd or 3rd order), built-in sidechain, and the crazy Nuke ratio. Brilliant, brilliant piece of gear. There's a reason you will find at least two in every single major studio in the world.

Hmm, sounds irresistible, I have to check it out. My cousin (studio owner) also recommended it strongly. Not cheap though (I need a stereo version)

I'm really a newbie in this area, so I'm a little reluctant to spend a lot of money on something that I can't utilize properly. But people keep telling me that sound quality and money are very proportional in this market...
I'm really looking for something that makes my sound (a lot) less sterile, so i was considering something with tubes, like the TL Audio C1, or something that also houses a preamp to make the sound warmer. Don't think I can afford an all-tube solution like Tube-Tech. But the Distressor(s) sound like they have this ability. I' not preoccupied with clean sound, I want something that really colors.
I'm also considering the Neve Portico 5043. Do you have any experience with this? Or the 5042 tape saturator from the same series? Any opinions welcome
Game & Watch
No experience with the Portico stuff. I've heard the C1 is a great bargain, but don't have experience with it either. I'd say what you've been told is spot-on. Price and quality are pretty proportionate generally. There are some exceptions like the FMR Audio stuff, the RNC and the RNLA. But then again, those won't give you the versatility that the API or the Distressors will.

Btw- I've got stereo EL8-X Distressors. I bought them second hand for around $2600, I think. They don't generally come much cheaper. They retain their value very, very well. Kinda like the Elektron gear, in that sense. You should have a look around the classifieds on Gearslutz. There is always lots of high-end stuff for sale, and some times at very good prices.
Admin
ma gawd i have longing for the Portico 5042 tape simulator!
Cappy
you know i had to bring this one back from the dead

mpc1000
machinedrum mk1
circuit bent sk-1
asr-10
12010 mk'2s
ms-2000
virus indigo (on its way soon)
wall of records
lots of instruments
mics
guitar effects pedals
macbook pro with protools, ableton and soft synths
( audio interfaceless at the moment) for going on 3 hours now and hating it.

i like to keep my setup super compact, even this is way to big

my goal is to have a studio where i use everything in it every time i go in there,

having said that there are about 20 things on my wishlist

poly evolver
linn drum 2
mutronics mutator
ebb and flu
machinedrum mk2 uw
monomachine
sidstation
virus indigo
k2600
dp/4+
mac pro
monome 256
sp1200
t resinator
drm1 mk3
rozzbox
andromeda
nord lead3
minimoog

and some new guitars
and of course i would love to have some great desks and studio gear as well as a killer chair

to name a few

excuse the drunk midnight lusting post my girlfriend gets mean when she sleeps
Admin
Thanks a lot TT, really appreciate your advice

@Actuel: Have you tried the 5042?
Admin
Nils wrote:
@Actuel: Have you tried the 5042?

unfortunately no. there's no where around here to try one. i'd have to buy and hope it's all i'd like it to be. i suppose i could return it if it did not live up to my hopes. with the baby due in 6 weeks, nows not the time for $1300.00 outboard gear...i know you can understand

i have read man reviews, and have perused some forums and it seems to get high marks everywhere. for me the big deal is you have modern reliance and small form factor. if this unit does truly replicate most of the beauty of tape but without all the hassle, then its worth the dollars. it will be a while before i am able to get one of these but i do see one in my future.
there are a few lengthy threads on gearslutz about the portico stuff specifically the compressor and how great it is. i've never used one but apparently its something they got right. here's a start:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/68506-rupert-neves-portico-compressor-smokes.html
Go to top Post Reply