As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear SAMPLE LOOP POINTS (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: SAMPLE LOOP POINTS
Game & Watch
SAMPLE LOOP POINTS 16 Years, 4 Months ago
Ok, i just read the whole manual so no RTFM apply here

Did the MDUW classic support sample loop points?...or maybe i have to reformulate the answer...can the MDUW classic play looped samples???

I just trying to make my own wavetable single-cycle oscillators but if you cant loop the cycle then you can´t get sustained sounds focused on a cycle of the wavetable...

I think i can try the retrigger option to keep the cycles sounding, but it´s a very primitive way to achieve a looping oscillator...

i´ll try it anyway...maybe ending with some interesting results
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
Re:SAMPLE LOOP POINTS 16 Years, 4 Months ago
in your audio editor you should be able to set the waveform or sample to 'Loop'. it's a apart of the meta data. then in C6 you set that looped file to 'Loop On'. hope that helps!

here's a snap of what you should see in C6:

Last Edit: 2008/01/12 14:23
Game & Watch
Once you go Elektron...
Theres no going backetron!

-----------------
www.geirhelgi.com
actuel wrote:
in your audio editor you should be able to set the waveform or sample to 'Loop'. it's a apart of the meta data. then in C6 you set that looped file to 'Loop On'. hope that helps!

cool, what exactly is it for?
perfect loops?
Admin
well kinda. can be used for perfect loops, irregular loops, single cycle waveforms, etc. essentially, you're just setting your file to repeat to infinitely...until adjusted in the UW.

i do most of my none percussive one hits as loops. why? well you can get some great results, even do or emulate synthesis, have repeating loops. then inside of the UW you can turned the end of the full 127 or change the hold or decay to control the loops playback.

so for a organ sample, i'll chop it up in my editor, then set it to loop, set it to 'Loop On' in the UW and then you've just opened up crazy posibilities. this works with really anything.

i have been playing with this function a lot lately with great results. making offbeat and irregular loops can be dope as well. experiment i say!

Last Edit: 2008/01/12 14:52
Game & Watch
hageir wrote:
actuel wrote:

hey, cool!!!
thanks ACTUEL!
i already set the loop metadata in sound forge but i missed the C6 part...
Sh*t!...i don´t have a MIDI interface here so i can´t chek it until tomorrow...

anyway just 5 minutes ago my girlfriend said she was awaked by a kind of subsonic bump that periodically hit the window and make it rattle...

i have the MD firing a 4x4 TRX BD1 with a really low volume so i didn´t noticed the long tail of the BD entering the sub range and travelling thru walls and floor until it reach the window in a room several feets away!...scary!

save that kit right now!!!...mwahahahaha!!!

cool, what exactly is it for?
perfect loops?

well, that could be an aplication...but in a loop sequencer is far better to have a step that retriggers the loop when it ends instead of make it loop without retrigger it, because even the smaller tempo error could make it out of sync after a while

my idea is to use the rom slots as a wavetable oscillator in the waldorf/ensoniq/malmstrom fashion, that means to make a sample with several cycles of a wave, one before the other, with small variations between them...could be PWM, FM sweeps, drastic complex timbre changes, whatever...
then you play just the firs cycle LOOPED (so that the use for the looping function), and then move the start and end points TOGETHER, keeping the loop size intact but sweeping the wavetable thru the differents cycles...

you have to calibrate the number of cycles to be a multiple of the sample start/end steps in order to get a full and complete cycle no matter where are you in the wavetable

did any of you try to do this?
Admin
did any of you try to do this?

i haven't yet but this is definitely something i'm wanting to do. i'm a big waveform fan. the waldorf and access Ti spoiled me on waveforms.

i've never created any but have been looking into with the advent of the monomachine mkII eventually being able to have waveforms.

maybe you can help or share some of you single cycle waveforms. tutorial? i imagine it's similar to looping as i am now but on a much smaller scale.
Game & Watch
actuel wrote:maybe you can help or share some of you single cycle waveforms. tutorial? i imagine it's similar to looping as i am now but on a much smaller scale.

yeah, of course...
after trying to do some "transwaves" in an ensoniq sampler (that´s the name of wavetables in ensoniq´s jargeon) and some experiments with softsynths i realized that the key factor is to calibrate the wavetable for smooths sweeps (of course if you want smooth ones)

just another question...in your example of the organ sound you said that you

"set it to 'Loop On' in the UW" (the loop)

so can you turn it on just from the UW itself?...even if you didn´t it before in the audio editor and C6?
Admin
so can you turn it on just from the UW itself?...even if you didn´t it before in the audio editor and C6?

kinda. what i mean is that after you've set the wave to loop, and in C6 set it to loop, you can adjust start and end points in the UW. additionally, in the UW if the end point isn't set to 127 it stops continuous playback. so if the end point is set at 126, it will only play through the sample once.

hope that helps.
Game & Watch
actuel wrote:

kinda. what i mean is that after you've set the wave to loop, and in C6 set it to loop, you can adjust start and end points in the UW. additionally, in the UW if the end point isn't set to 127 it stops continuous playback. so if the end point is set at 126, it will only play through the sample once.

hope that helps.

mmm...that´s bad news
you can´t make a wavetable oscillator if the MD behave that way...

that because the start and end points actually are PLAYBACK points instead of LOOP points

my idea was to built the wavetable with 32, 64 or 128 different cycles (frames)
then set the loop point to just one of those in order to get just one of those cycles sounding...so for a 32 frames wavetable each cycle (the loop lenght) goes fron, said, 0 to 4 in the machinedrum settings...that´s (as you said) make the waveform play once, not looped...

i´ll try it tomorrow anyway...
Admin
hmm i see. you can still adjust the start point, and you set the LFO to the start point. but yeah, i see what you mean. once the end point leaves 127, looping stops. i just tested it again.

well i'm looking forward to your findings.
Go to top Post Reply