As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re:LinnDrum II - Roger Linn & Dave Smith (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:LinnDrum II - Roger Linn & Dave Smith
Admin
Re:LinnDrum II - Roger Linn & Dave Smith 16 Years, 3 Months ago
i've done the proper thing, emailed both Linn and Smith asking them to increase or retain the sequence/track count. hell even the OG Linn had 56 patterns (seq/track a bit different on that machine obviously) that could be strewed about.
  The topic has been locked.
I'd imagine it will be at least somewhat similar to the MPC60 in some ways.

I know "they said they weren't making a MPC - but they are aloud to change their minds and they have already. I wouldn't be so precious sticking to their quotes until this thing is released.

Wouldn't it be fun if it really was coming out in a few weeks? HA!

Last Edit: 2008/01/11 00:52
Game & Watch
actuel wrote:
dude! of course, we can all read . i don't want another mpc either. desiring a good seq. isn't like asking for some unheard of spec, especially since it's a stand alone unit. having a high seq/track count isn't solely intended for "on one song using a billion tracks". maybe that's how you rock it but for me it means putting everything on it's on track. so for example:

sequence 1: (tracks in order)
1. main kick
2. main hihat
3. main snare
4. snare second layer
4. kick variation
5. hihat " "
6. snare " "
7. bassline simple
8. bassline variation
9. bassline hook
10. ...

Well, I am simple...no doubt about it. I do use seperate tracks for each sound...but don't use a ton of tracks. Luckily, with the MDUW, parameter locks help with track count. But I think we all agree that 99 is overkill for this machine.
my guess is 64
Admin
jsrockit wrote:
[But I think we all agree that 99 is overkill for this machine.

well, i think me and you can agree to not agree.

i don't need 99 tracks, but i like the high ceilings so to speak. i can deal with 32 but it never hurts to have breathing room. ideally, the 'happy place' is 64. which is more than sufficient but also can come in handy for heavy more complicated IDM stuff. i never used the 99 tracks in my mpc60 but gawddammit i love Linn for putting them there.

i also think we should be leery of saying "for this machine". it's not totally defined and saying such a thing this early in the game seems a bit too definitive. i suppose we'll know more about the machine and it's spec's soon enough. lord knows, i'm staying tuned
Game & Watch
Ok, I give up...put 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 tracks. My mind cannot handle you IDMers...I'm going back to using a Roland SP-202 and a Flute.
Admin
jsrockit wrote:
Ok, I give up...put 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 tracks. My mind cannot handle you IDMers...I'm going back to using a Roland SP-202 and a Flute.

hahah. awwww, don't be like that. there's a warm place for us all. from the sp-202 flute players to the marble counters.
Game & Watch
Hmmm... I noticed 4 buttons labelled "track 1, track 2, track 3, track 4" on both LinnDrums... sorry guys, you only get 4 tracks.
Boo
4 sets of 16 - all right!
64, is the magic number, yes it is, it's the magic number.
1x16 is: 16
2x16 is: 32
4x16 is: 64, the magic numberrr
Game & Watch
I can't wait to hear these 64 track beats you guys make...
Go to top Post Reply