As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re:LinnDrum II - Roger Linn & Dave Smith (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:LinnDrum II - Roger Linn & Dave Smith
Boo
Re:LinnDrum II - Roger Linn & Dave Smith 16 Years, 4 Months ago
so what's the speculation consensus:

can we use this like an MPC ? use our own samples? 2mb? 4mb? 16mb? gigs?
Maybe it will be some kind of comprimise where the amount of tracks we can sequence is low... thoughts?
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
Ish-ka wrote:
so what's the speculation consensus:

can we use this like an MPC ? use our own samples? 2mb? 4mb? 16mb? gigs?
Maybe it will be some kind of comprimise where the amount of tracks we can sequence is low... thoughts?

Like the sampling side of an MPC without the extensive midi sequencing the MPC offers...with additional effects and routing opportunities to mangle sounds.
Boo
I hope they let us know what kind of track count to expect
Game & Watch
Probably 16...that's my guess.
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
Looks like 16, which is fine with me.
Admin
i love the track and seq. management on the MPC's. i hope to see the same in this box. having 99 seq. and 99 tracks in the mpc60 was a dream.

i wish saved kits on the elektron boxes would save tempo like the mpc does. but i guess that's a different topic right
Boo
goddam - it needs to be more than 16.
why allow us a decent amount of sample storage and put a cap on 16 tracks ?
madness, madness I tell you. I hope that's not the case, but regardless I think it's time to send a suggestion email, please do the same if you want more than 16 tracks............... just in case.
Game & Watch
16 is alot to have just for samples ... they have said they don't want to make another MPC... so, without the MPC midi sequencing capabilities, there is no need for 99 tracks. 32 max I say. Sample storage is there so you can save many pieces of work without having to dump to another source...not so you can use it all on one song using a billion tracks.

Last Edit: 2008/01/11 00:00
Boo
ya ya. whatever.
32 tracks would be nice.
Admin
jsrockit wrote:
16 is alot to have just for samples ... they have said they don't want to make another MPC... so, without the MPC midi sequencing capabilities, there is no need for 99 tracks. 32 max I say. Sample storage is there so you can save many pieces of work without having to dump to another source...not so you can use it all on one song using a billion tracks.

dude! of course, we can all read . i don't want another mpc either. desiring a good seq. isn't like asking for some unheard of spec, especially since it's a stand alone unit. having a high seq/track count isn't solely intended for "on one song using a billion tracks". maybe that's how you rock it but for me it means putting everything on it's on track. so for example:

sequence 1: (tracks in order)
1. main kick
2. main hihat
3. main snare
4. snare second layer
4. kick variation
5. hihat " "
6. snare " "
7. bassline simple
8. bassline variation
9. bassline hook
10. ...

then you get into samples etc. by doing it this way and building a main dummy seq. every seq. after that has all the parts. so i can mute and unmute tracks, make pattern variations, etc based on that simple model. i've worked this way for years. i learned this from a friend who use to work in New Yorks PowerPlay studios, and Large Professor taught him this way...Eric Sermon, etc. thats how it was done. not saying it's 'the' way to work but it's a great way build seq/songs.

if the Linndrum II opts for a low track/seq., then so it does. it would be a shame to me. as the power of a stand alone sampler unit is so much more then a trigger box. it's the combination of sampler/sequencer.

it's just my feelings on it js. i didn't say i want to eat babies

Last Edit: 2008/01/11 00:22
Go to top Post Reply