As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re:LinnDrum II - Roger Linn & Dave Smith (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:LinnDrum II - Roger Linn & Dave Smith
Admin
tIB was here
Re:LinnDrum II - Roger Linn & Dave Smith 16 Years, 4 Months ago
not hard, just "special"...
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
It isn't hard...there are just too many options for a matrix layout. It takes patience and time to use that... which ultimately pays off. However, if you are a beginner to synthesis...it IS ridiculously hard to navigate...compared to your average analog synth with a know / slider per function.
orwell wrote:

As I've never owned an MPC, but always wanted one, what can it do that the md can't? i.e sample manipulation and so forth....

They are both great machines and I love them like my children. That said perhaps I was too enthusiastic... I do feel that the end of the MPC is nigh...

The MPC offers:
1.True polyphonic sequencing. - As much as I tried to fit my Monomachine as my main midi sequencer I had issues with recording aftertouch and polyphonic notes.

2.An array of sample memory options offering longer samples and more of 'em. I love the MDUW sampler but it is what it is. If you would like more memory for longer samples and are satisfied with a more straight ahead sound then an MPC works.

3. A good time. If you're remotely into hip-hop then you owe it to yourself to chop up some breaks, layer some snares and filter the bass-line.

sample mangling is probably best done with the MDUW but for simple filtering and basic delay, reverb and bit crushing FX the MPC knocks like a good drum machine should. It's a good machine to start/learn on too.

The MPC is not "better" but offers a different style of working which I find compliments the MD.

I still stick my MP1000 next to my turntables to chop beats and phrases and then re-sequence them. I think once I start using Live 7's drum racks and when the Linn2 comes in that the MPC will be in the living room to act as a casual vinyl sampler permanently. I will never get rid of my MP as it's a great tool, has sentimental value and is fun to use.

I really think the Linn2 is going to be the centerpiece of a lot of studio's and a big hit. The Linndrum has a resounding place in hip-hop equal to akai in an old-school way. and I think once these hit Guitar Center that Akai are going to have some serious competition. The Linn2 looks great too and stands out which will help in a retail environment. There was something about the juxtabizition of a press piece in Remix with the Linn2 on one side and separate DJ A-Track feature on the other that felt good. Flashy Lights indeed.

hell- I love drum machines. Bring em on.

Last Edit: 2008/01/06 04:01
Killer Beez
monomachine mk2, Analog 4, boss dr110
thanxs for the long response on the mpc - if you consider the mpc a sort of sibling/extension of the md then it must be a winner. Yep bring on the linn2.
King Koopa
NoiseLab56309
MySpace
DSP Rules!!!
There also an update on the site from Roger Linn:
http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/products/linndrum2/

It's good to see that there are now 4 potmeters under the display. I hope they will change this into 8 potmeters and a bigger display. Just like we have on the Machinedrum.

Only one backside, the LinnDrum II is postponed to the end of '08

Last Edit: 2008/01/07 01:13
Game & Watch
NoiseLab wrote:
Only one backside, the LinnDrum II is postponed to the end of '08

Hmm... bummer. Makes my decision to go ahead and buy a TR-909 to complement my MD easier. When the LDII is released, I will rethink that setup, but I've always wanted a 909 and I think I'm gonna go for it. The imminent (now not-so) release of the LDII was the only thing holding me back.
Chain Chomp
MDUW/MD/MONO
SURROGATES on DVD now!
at least they sharpened up the look for it. looking at the Boomchik pictures makes me a bit ill. now the question remains, will they have a prototype at Namm, or just another poster?

i'd be down for the analog if it Does.Cool.Stuff.
MCL
Boo
At the risk of sounding totally daft - what sonic differences will there be between these units and the Machinedrum? How do you think the two will stack up in comparison?
Game & Watch
MCL wrote:
At the risk of sounding totally daft - what sonic differences will there be between these units and the Machinedrum? How do you think the two will stack up in comparison?

Probably as different as the MD sounds to an MPC, or as a MD sounds to an evolver...or a combo of the two...
I'm guessing that if you listen to the Adrennalinn 3 drum/guitar demos on the Roger Linn site and check out the Drum samples from the Evolver on trippler's site we could get in the ball park of what this will sound like but we'll not really know until it comes out ....
Go to top Post Reply